How to keep track of Characters?

kingdom_stark

I am really enjoying reading the books but am finding keeping track of characters (who is who, what they have done in the past etc) sometimes confusing!

Lol. I feel the same way. The amount of information you will get is enormous. Part of information is well hidden. I suppose going back and reread is a good advice.

I went to the HBO site to connect some faces with the names, but I agree. Having just started CoK I'm struggling a little bit.

But I also think GRRM did an excellent job of describing them and artfully reminding us when they are mentioned again of who they are and what they did or who they are related to or where they were last... but it is confusing. Thanks goodness for these forums!

Feel free to ask any questions here. Don't visit the wiki or the general discussion forums, stay here. I check here regularly for questions, and I'm not the only one who does that.

Draw family trees as you go if you are having trouble keeping track of who's who. The genaeologies in the back of the books are highly detailed as well. Just stay out of any book or forum that you haven't read yet.

The "Tower of the Hand" wiki is awesome because you can set the scope up top to only show information for books you have read. For example, I have only read book 1, so in the articles for the characters, houses, places, etc it only shows the information from book 1. Once you read another book, you can change it to reveal information from that and so on and so forth. Works really well surprisingly. Just do not go into the discussion forums. I basically ruined seasons 3 and 4 of the TV show for myself haha

I am really enjoying reading the books but am finding keeping track of characters (who is who, what they have done in the past etc) sometimes confusing!

Screw online, you should really only come here after being deprived of asoiaf. If you watch the show, read the book and go online you can O.D.

The last pages of the books have a list of every family spoiler free, very usefull that's what I did and it worked great

Just stay out of any book or forum that you haven't read yet.

This is so important. I'm part way through the second book and a couple of times I've gone places I shouldn't and know the fate of certain characters now. Penalty I pay for being nosy/inquisitive.

Screw online, you should really only come here after being deprived of asoiaf.

Unless you know if you start the next book, you are not going to be able to do anything else until you are finished, and telling yourself hanging around here has less of an impact on your upcoming exams than reading 24/7 helps giving you a good conscience.

The worst part is there's so many duplicate and/or very similar names. There's a couple Aegons, a couple of Aeryns and others - people I've not met in the books yet, but apparently need to know about. I hate reading something and knowing it's going over my head at the same time.

The "Tower of the Hand" wiki is awesome because you can set the scope up top to only show information for books you have read. For example, I have only read book 1, so in the articles for the characters, houses, places, etc it only shows the information from book 1. Once you read another book, you can change it to reveal information from that and so on and so forth. Works really well surprisingly. Just do not go into the discussion forums. I basically ruined seasons 3 and 4 of the TV show for myself haha

Found exactly what I was looking for here at Tower of the Hand. Every character from season 1 listed with a short description of who they are. Perfect.

Thanks, Theon.

Edit: This site also has the opening sequence for the HBO series which is freakin' awesome if you haven't seen it!

Feel free to ask any questions here. Don't visit the wiki or the general discussion forums, stay here. I check here regularly for questions, and I'm not the only one who does that.

If you want to be spoiler free, I cannot possibly stress this enough. Seriously. Do not go to the wiki, do not go to the general forum here, do not go to the forums for still reading books you have not read, even be extremely careful in the forum on a book you are still reading as you can still easily be spoiled.

Ask any questions you want, it's going to be your best bet. Like CROWN, I peruse these still reading forums as well.

I downloaded this application from Appstore for my iPod touch. it has helped a lot with keeping track with the characters. and there's also this setting where you can adjust the "spoiler settings" depending on what book of the series you are already at. i paid like $2 for it. totally worth it! it's called "Game of Thrones" companion something.

With any novel series i read, i keep track of characters by going straight into the next novel. For example, once i finish Game of Thrones i will literally pick up Clash of Kings off my desk and start reading. I find that when i take to long to go into the following book in a series perhaps by taking a break and reading another novel or not deciding to read for a month that all the character details disappear suddenly from my mind. Also we are so lucky we live in the Information Age where we can just google anything we have questions about and you can simply go to youtube for book/show analysis for GoT and or just read comments on this wonderful forum.

I find that the books let you know who is who fantastically, whereas the TV series is awful. So many people who haven't read the books have asked me who is who and where are they from etc, I feel quite sorry for them really. As good as the tv series is, they are missing out so much storytelling that could really change the whole dynamic of the show for the non book readers.

Also we are so lucky we live in the Information Age where we can just google anything we have questions about and you can simply go to youtube for book/show analysis for GoT and or just read comments on this wonderful forum.

I wouldn't risk googling ANYTHING asoiaf related. Like Saxony pointed out, Tower of the Hand is great because of its scope.

Or these forums, of course.

I just lent he books to a friend from work and he kept asking me if this or that guy or so and so is important or if they pertain to the plot in an important way. I had to tell him everyone and everything pertains to the plot(s) don't overlook or skim over anything. Everything is important. I tell him read the appendix and skim through it regularly.

Archived