How to keep track of Characters?

kingdom_stark

I am having this same problem! Almost at the end of the book now and I think I have it all. It kind of helps that I have seen the TV show so I can put names to faces. I made the mistake of downloading the book onto my Kindle - there have been plenty of times I have wanted to flick back so many chapters because I feel like I'm a bit lost, but obviously it isn't as simple as flicking through pages.

The series really does help with connecting names to faces but I experience that normally at the end of the book you know which characters are vital to remember and which aren't.

Some who seem unimportant may pop up in the next book but then I just use the Asoiaf wiki to read the basic info that I need to know. ( Just make sure you don't read any spoilers :P)

ANd when the books introduce a lot of new characters at the same time, I tend to keep reading the names until I know them by heart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just keep having to remind myself who is who. It is helpful if you read the books as someone close to you is also doing so (a significant other or a friend). That way, you can discuss who is who and remind one another about the characters and houses. At least that is what helps me

• 3 weeks later...

I have to confess I had to build an Excel file to keep track of everyone in the books, it got to a point where it took me longer to search the Wiki of the last pages of the books than to read the damn book lol

I finished AdwD not long ago, and now the file helps me not to forget everything during this long and painful wait... :frown5:

I convinced my mom to start reading the series and she's having the same problem. So I drew her a detailed family tree with everyones histories and notes to keep in mind without actually spoiling anything. It was quite fun and very complicated. lol

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I read Thrones, I didn't have an index or any maps whatsoever to refer to. I read it online, as a PDF file on my phone, one without any index.

I kept sending text messages to my friends asking them who was who. It seems so stupid now, but I actually asked once "Tyrion is the dwarf guy, right?"

• 1 month later...

I am really enjoying reading the books but am finding keeping track of characters (who is who, what they have done in the past etc) sometimes confusing!

Just keep reading for the most part and you should get well acquainted. And once you have finished the books come on the wiki to read up on all those side characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding that not checking the maps has left me literally lost... got real confused in CoK.

When someone goes somewhere, track it on the map. It will be a huge help.

Yeah, you really do need those maps. I personaly don't have any problems keeping track of the character, I've got a pretty good memory.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to read GoT twice in order to fully wrap my head around it. The first time I was really just trying to get an idea who everybody was, their connections to each other and such. It felt kind of like a new viewer tuning into a Soap Opera for the first time. Then on my second read-through, once I got all of that down, I was able to focus more on the story itself and it came a lot easier.

And of course the show helps too, being able to put a face with a name.

I read the appendixes and maps for every book and referred to them when needed to keep track of everything and hammer things into my head. Things get frustrating in the later Sansa chapters, though, when far too many new characters are brought in at the one time.

My brother wasn't able to do that easily, because he read the Kindle editions, but I suspected what I'd be in for, and the paperbacks are certainly more convenient in terms of following and even anticipating what's going to happen or what's going on.

Yeah, you really do need those maps. I personaly don't have any problems keeping track of the character, I've got a pretty good memory.

It's the same with me, I know all the members of the most important families, even of the Freys.

• 2 months later...

There are too many characters in the books and checking the HBO site wont help as the TV series has removed various characters and there are many changes in the story also, how things happen. I just google the names when I get confused.

Find and print a detailed map and have it always near you when reading the books. Also, a thing I did, when finishing a chapter, I'd go to the begining of it and write the new names I encountered in this chapter. Obviously there's no need to write pivotal characters, just those you're not familiar with. If you ever do a re-read, it'll be so much easier than the first time.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm writing a House-based fantasy series myself and keep losing track of all my locations and my characters. I'm planning to get my brother involved to help me draw a map, with the location of each House marked around the cities. I really don't envy the torture Martin must have went through, and I don't envy readers who've had to read his books on a Kindle either. My recommendation is to find and print out the entire appendix as well as the map from whatever book you're currently reading. You don't really need these, however, for Book 1.

• 2 months later...

When I started getting into the Dany chapters, I could not keep people straight. I started note cards. There were no Wikis or Apps then.

I wrote a name or place and wrote something about it, and put the page number by it. For instance, I have a card labeled Khal Drogo's Blood Riders. The names are listed, and some have a notation beside it -- like his horses seem to fear him.

I suppose one could do it on a computer, but I am Old School.

EDIT -- I also used Killer Snark's idea and drew my own poster sized map. Comes in very handy

Archived