Three Dragons, three males

Roddy Darwin

This has been bothering me since Dany named her dragons. The three are probably male, since she gave each a male name.

Unless I missed something, we know very little about dragons' lifespan, or how they procreate - but I guess it is a fair assumption that there are male and female dragons?

I also assumed that the Targaryens of old made sure their dragons had babies, since we know for a fact there has been several more dragons than the three Aegon and his sisters brought with them.

So, while it should of course be of little concern to her now, should it not bother her that dragons will disapear again once her three die? Meaning, even if she was to regain the Iron Throne, her heirs would eventually have no dragons again?

Unless, of course, it is hard to determine a dragon's gender, and Dany just gave them male names because she did not know...

Am I the only one this is bothering?

(edited for spelling)

I think Bright Blue Eyes has the right of this. I remember something like this in the books. If not changing their gender, they are essentially both, or something to the effect when they feel they need to procreate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you think Robert would have taken the throne if the mad king had a couple of pet dragons? Hell, do you think he would have tried?

No. I think if Dragon's didnt die out, the Targ's would still be in power but without the madness of the Mad King. Most of the Targaryens insanity comes from them trying to bring the dragons back so I think if they never died out they would have been much more stable rulers.

• 2 months later...

Archived