[ADWD SPOILERS] Reek 2

Mtlima

So, as I was reading, did anyone notice the H.P. Lovecraft reference? An Ironborn called Dagon Codd, big man, pop-eyed and wide of mouth, looking as "if his father had sired him from a fish". It's an accurate description of the Deep Ones hybrids in "The shadow over innsmouth", from Lovecraft. I searched and did not find any comments on the theme around the internet, but did not find anything. Opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

So, as I was reading, did anyone notice the H.P. Lovecraft reference? An Ironborn called Dagon Codd, big man, pop-eyed and wide of mouth, looking as "if his father had sired him from a fish". It's an accurate description of the Deep Ones hybrids in "The shadow over innsmouth", from Lovecraft. I searched and did not find any comments on the theme around the internet, but did not find anything. Opinions?

It is cool that you found that. I remember seeing a video of an interview with GRRM where he states that there are homages to scifi and fantasy authors throughout ASoIaF. I have to start looking more closely. Good find!

Archived