Seattle reading, any details?

Arataniello

OP

Definetly sounds like Vic is being set up for an epic fail. Shame. I would have liked to have seen Danys face when she realises somebody actually sent an army from Westeros to help her...kind of. I suppose Vic dying I could live with although it would be a shame if all the Iron Fleet and the Ironborn were destroyed in the process.

I'am confused, why does Tyrion want Brown Benn to betray Dany again if the hope is that she'll forgive him? Do you mean take part in the assault on Mereen?

OP

Definetly sounds like Vic is being set up for an epic fail. Shame. I would have liked to have seen Danys face when she realises somebody actually sent an army from Westeros to help her...kind of.

I'am confused, why does Tyrion want Brown Benn to betray Dany again if the hope is that she'll forgive him? Do you mean take part in the assault on Mereen?

No, he wants Brown Benn to betray the Yunkaí by going back to Dany's side.

I don't know what will happen to the Dragons. But I can really see a massive "blue on blue" incident occuring if Victarion storms the beaches into the Yunkai camp. Even if Tyrion and Ben do rise to help I doubt the Ironborn will be making distinctions.

ps Jorah killing Vic would be awesome.

The Plumms in Westeros are westermen and Lannister bannermen, right? The Plumm brothers were among those Tywin sent out into the Riverlands to look for Jaime after Varys told him of Jaime's "escape." I can't remember - did that come up at all between Tyrion and Brown Ben during ADWD? I have to confess that the Mereen stuff definitely did not stick with me.

On football - another reference is the Pat/GRRM special - the really neat thing is that the Giant that kills the Cowboy was nicknamed wun wun.

Wun wun == 1 1 or 11, or the number of Phil Simms, one of the most famous Giants ever to play football.

If Moqorro is doing the blood sacrifice and magic. Could he control or determine who is the horns master? I mean if he is Danys supporter coz he thinks shes AA then he could just make her the horns master. Although if the dragons don't start attacking its going to be pretty obvious somethings up and Vic will stab Moqorro; hence he would fail his mission. By the same token, Dany is not going to be happy with Moqorro controlling her dragons.

The blood magic sacrifice means that you die after a day doesn't it? So Vic could win the battle but die ignomoniously later on when he realises that Dany isn't there?

Wow, I was actually slightly worried when I read that had written 4 Victarion chapters in a row. (of course, Im releved that that includes the two from Dance). The reason for this is because as much I love huge battle scenes, I dont want the Battle of Ice and the Battle of Fire to last too long in the book. It is not the battle thats important, but the result of the battle. I hope that the battles are really fast-paced so that we can get onto the finale the series. (not to mention that Dany is only ever go to Westeros until after the battle is over).

Wow, I was actually slightly worried when I read that had written 4 Victarion chapters in a row. (of course, Im releved that that includes the two from Dance). The reason for this is because as much I love huge battle scenes, I dont want the Battle of Ice and the Battle of Fire to last too long in the book. It is not the battle thats important, but the result of the battle. I hope that the battles are really fast-paced so that we can get onto the finale the series. (not to mention that Dany is only ever go to Westeros until after the battle is over).

I actually think the total sum of those battles +Aegon n Samwell n Jon n Cersei n Brienne n Jamie will make up essentially part 1 of WoW. The end of which will probably see Dany with a big empire in the East and able to leave. Part two will be some surprise twists slowing down her return or moving through the free cities.

ps I'am growing curious about Samwell's POV. Especially since Euron's Ironborn getting a cumupence seems deserved after their success in FoC.

I actually think the total sum of those battles +Aegon n Samwell n Jon n Cersei n Brienne n Jamie will make up essentially part 1 of WoW. The end of which will probably see Dany with a big empire in the East and able to leave. Part two will be some surprise twists slowing down her return or moving through the free cities.

ps I'am growing curious about Samwell's POV. Especially since Euron's Ironborn getting a cumupence seems deserved after their success in FoC.

This idea could work, however it would have to be written in an extremely interesting way. I think that the Battle of Ice will work because of the mystery surrouning Stannis's plan. Similarily, the Battle of Fire will be cool because I can imagine it being a Field of Fire 2.0 . That being said, I do not want each chapter being only a slight advance in the story. I dont want Vic's first chapter to be him on the boat, and the the second one of his landing, and then the third one showing him arriving at Meereen... No, this has to be very fast paced if its going to hold my interest for half a book.

I understood the slow in pace for FFC and DWD, but for WOW, we nees to see SOS level pacing for all the storylines to converge, leading to the finale.

He confirmed that while he doesn't like it, if you don't see the body chances are they're not dead.

GRRM is clearly telling us that Syrio Forel lives! :laugh:

Actually, I'm really curious about the context of that statement. And like the others said, I appreciate people filling the rest of us in.

The context was simply "can we assume no one is really dead unless we see te body?"

And he talked about that being a cheap thing to do to do drama and didn't want to turn it into a comic, but yes that's probably fair right now.

I'm very intrigued by Victarion's black hand having magical powers vis-a-vis Cold Hands/ Benjen with his exposed black hands. Future use of dragon horn handling? Hmmm.

If Victarion dies, I just hope his death isn't redundant to Quentyn's, as he could possibly also die as a 'Dragontamer'. I'm ready to see Viserion and Rhaegal finally become more than political weapons or unattainable power, and not merely reject another suitor.

On football - another reference is the Pat/GRRM special - the really neat thing is that the Giant that kills the Cowboy was nicknamed wun wun.

Wun wun == 1 1 or 11, or the number of Phil Simms, one of the most famous Giants ever to play football.

And that would undoubtebly make Phil Simms a secret targaryian! :dunno:

Euron and his sorcerors had the Horn for years before giving it to Victarrion. There is NO way that Euron gave it to him without understanding how the mastery thing works.

Euron is already that Horn's master, you can bet your bottom dollar on it.

All he needs is for it to sound within hearing distance of those Dragons, and they're gonna belong to him.

He's not one to leave something like that to chance.

This is very interesting, I do not know why I never though of this. ...

This would make sense in why Euon would send Victarion to Essos, but it almost makes whatever Moqorro is planning irrlevant, because even if he is using Victarion to get to Dany, the two Dragons will end up fleeing to the Ironborn. Pretty amazing actually....

I like this alot.

Also, I do not believe Victarion is Dragon food, though he will get screwed from Dragons. He and Dany might make a team.

I feel as if the smoking hand thing is a big issue and thus his story may have a more complicated arc.

Thanks for the info from the Seattle read! The added info about his hand is very interesting. Makes me think of him as becoming an opposite number to Coldhands so to speak.

I'm a pretty big sports fan, so he threw this little one out to us and I loved it. When Tyrion takes a long boat ride, he has the option to read 3 books....

This, by itself, is a pretty interesting tidbit (Tyrion's long boat ride coming in TWOW, etc., unless this was already in one of his ADWD chapters and I missed it).

@total1402 - re: Jorah vs. Victarion

In AFFC, Vic does mention he'd give his teeth to try out his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers. He's got himself a similarly famous knight right in Meereen: a more interesting, be-careful-what-you-wish-for encounter might be one with Barristan.

This, by itself, is a pretty interesting tidbit (Tyrion's long boat ride coming in TWOW, etc., unless this was already in one of his ADWD chapters and I missed it).

This was in a ADWD chapter. Tyrion is on the Stinky Steward and reads a book about a Volantene patriot named Belicho.

Archived