Our Top 30 - A Book Characters Guessing Game

Syseanne

Hey,

So, I haven't posted a lot but I kind of never stop lurking.

Anyway,

with the TV show on hiatus and the next book far far away I'm experiencing some kind of ASiIaF withdrawal that needs to be taken care of. Then I remembered the old LOST days and the games we used to play over at the SpoilerTV forums.

So I'm proposing a Top 30 Book characters guessing game. And not just any Top Characters, but our Top characters whom I will determine with the help of all of you.

Meaning, everybody PMs me their Top 30 aSoIaF Book Characters, I'll evaluate this lists (Hoping to get at least 10) and come up with our Top 30 Characters. Once this is done I'll post the list one by one. Starting with Character #30 I'll post a character every other day or so with you guys guessing who it will be. But I ain't just posting the name, I'll display some statistics and introduce that character as well. To make the guessing easier I'll give some tips. Everyone who guessed correctly gets awarded some points and in the end we have a winner... who will not win anything but still.

I promise this will become clearer once the game has started, first though I need some Top 30 list. #1 being your favorite Character in the whole aSoIaF Saga and #30 is the 30th best character. No matter if it's Jon Snow or Tonho Mott. I guess I'll wait a week for lists to arrive in my mailbox. If I do not have 10 lists till the 12th of July, this game will have to be cancelled.

If your willing to give this a try, just post your guess for the next Character

Honerable Mentions:

#35 Rickon Stark

#34 Euron Greyjoy

#33 Varys

#32 Podrick Payne

#31 Tywin Lannister

OUR TOP 30 CHARACTERS:

#30 Ygritte

#29 Gendry Waters

#28 Melisandre

#27 Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully

#26 Renly Baratheon

#25 Bronn

#24 Olenna 'Queen of Thorns' Redwyne

#23 Robb Stark

#22Samwell Tarly

#20 Asha Greyjoy

#20 Mance Rayder

#19 Tommen Baratheon

#18 Daenerys Targaryen

#17 Jaqen H'ghar

#16 Eddison 'Dolorous Edd' Tollett

#15 Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish

#14 Cersei Lannister

#13 Eddard 'Ned' Stark

#12 Stannis Baratheon

#11 Bran Stark

#10 Brienne of Tarth

#9 Davos Seaworth

#8 Theon Greyjoy

#7 Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane

#6 Oberyn 'The Red Viper' Martell

#5 Jon Snow

#4 Sansa Stark

#3 Tyrion Lannister

#2 Jaime Lannister

#1 Arya Stark

Leaderboard:

SnowStorm 83

Petyr Baelish the First 73

Silver Spearwife 72

Reek the Turncloak 72

Jon's Queen Consort 71

Headless Jeyne 68

DR Supporter 66

Fragon 55

KhaleesiDany 51

famousatnight 32

Garlan Marius 24

raula 20

Ser-Arthur-Dayne 15

Franz95 14

hearmeroar92 13

Fragile Bird 10

Maester Kym 5

Davos' Fingertip 5

Bumble 5

wolverine 5

Off to a great start, got 4 lists already, thank you very much everybody. Plus mine makes 5, have way done! Hope more list will find their way to me and we'll get some nice and meaningful statistics.

Also, some people asked about it so I guess I need to make a rule. Yeah, Animals are characters and are allowed to be placed in your Top 30.

Thank you all so much, already got 12 lists. More are still welcome but I'm gonna close the lists on Tuesday. I'll start the next phase of the game on Wednesday with some honorable mentions and the first set of clues.

It will be explained better than, with examples and everything, but for now it's enough to know that I will give you a clue who will be in the next place and you'll have about one or two days to make a guess (or better, three guesses I'll explain it in time) before I post the answer. Whoever guessed correctly is awarded some points...

Hope that explains it some more, sorry my English is far from perfect but I'll give some examples later on, it should be clearer then.

@SnowStorm Hey look, another Fringe fan!

Finally, the game has started:

Overall Statistics:

I got 14 lists, naming 115 different Characters.

According to your lists I awarded points to these Characters. A #1 placing gave the character 30 points, a #2 placing 29 Point and so on till your #30 placing with 1 point.I added these Points up for all the lists and voila, we had a winner.

The highest rated Character got a total of 288 points and the lowest rated Characters all got only 1 point. These sad, lowest placed Characters are Irri, Tytos Blackwood and Ellaria Sand

For each Character I’ll give the total number of points. The standard Derivation of points given (only counting the lists that actually awarded some points), the highest place reached on a list and the number of lists that placed him (or her).

Honorable Mentions:

Here are the places 35 to 31

#35: Rickon Stark

The youngest Stark is the wild card in the Stark family tree. It’s hard for me to separate him from Shaggydog, as a team they attacked several people and are kind of frightening…

Currently he is probably in Skagos eating poor Davos unless Osha is able to stop him. Growing up in the wild without supervision he is becoming the Mowgli of Westeros and therefore he’s nothing if not awesome.

Statistics:

Standard Derivation: 8.1

Highest Placing: 4

Placed in 4 out of 14 lists

#34: Euron Greyjoy

The Crow’s Eye is all you want in a good villain: Handsome, smart, manipulating, malicious and a total badass. To put it in Vicatrions Words:

Balon was mad, Aeron is madder, and Euron is the maddest of them all

What’s not to love about that? And a black eye shining with malice does not hurt either. Currently he is probably still raiding some villages in the Reach or planning an elaborate plan on how to destroy his dear brothers.

Statistics:

Standard Derivation: 4.2

Highest Placing: 5

Placed in 3 out of 14 lists

#33: Varys

Varys is the Spider, he is the Master of Whispers, the Eunuch and clearly the one pulling the strings. That man is a mystery and gods know what he is up to. He apparently has some Targaryen alliances but also helps Starks, Lannisters and Smallfolks. If he isn’t busy killing them. That’s right, this soft, doughy, perfumed being has no problem killing Pycelle and Kevan. He just shoots them with a crossbow and no one even knows he is in town. Respect Lord Varys, Respect. Hell, no one even knows he had a motive.

Statistics:

Standard Derivation: 6.5

Highest Placing: 7

Placed in 4 out of 14 lists

#32: Podrick Payne

Oh, Pod, he’s so cute, in my head he’s like a teddy bear. A teddy bear that wants to be a knight… You just got a love the awkward 11 year old that’s always trying to do the right things.

In preparation for this little essay I read his wiki page and for the first time really acknowledged his history. The poor guy had everyone who always took care of him die. It does not look good for Brienne. But he might be dead so who’s to say weather the Podrick curse will strike again. Yes, the last time we saw him he was dangling on the gallows. So give poor Pod some love.

Statistics:

Standard Derivation: 10.4

Highest Placing: 3

Placed in 5 out of 14 lists

#31: Tywin Lannister

Tywin Lannister, man, Tywin f*ing Lannister, he really is the man; Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport, Warden of the West, and Hand to three different kings. If you’re in need of a reminder of his awesomeness, just listen to the Rains of Castamere. Sure, he is not the nicest guy, but he is efficient and a rather good politician.

I personally think that his finest hours (or more impressive ones, you can’t really call them fine) took place before the actions of the series. His relationship to his father, his relationship to the mad King, that’s what makes him so likable or better understandable…

Statistics:

Standard Derivation: 10.4

Highest Placing: 6

Placed in 5 out of 14 lists

CLUE FOR #30

This character has a catchphrase

So how does this guessing work?

You just got a clue to whom it might be. You have three guesses, just post them here. If you are right on the first guess you get 3 points, if you are right on the second guess you get 2 points and if you are right on your 3rd guess you get 1 point.

However, if you think you can do it in one guess, you can guess only once and be awarded 5 points. Comprende?

an example:

#30: 1. Bart Simpson

2. Fred Flintsonte

3. Shirley Benett

If the answer will be Bart you'll get 3 point, if it was Fred, you get 2 points and if it was Shirley you get 1 point. If it was neither of them you don't get any points

another example:

#30 Bugs Bunny

In this case you get five points if you are right and no points at all if you are wrong.

So now, please start guessing and remember:

CLUE FOR #30

This character has a catchphrase

Answer will be posted in about two days, thus on Friday

If she is, I get one point, cos I said it first.

sorry, didn't mean it that way, you'll get 1 point cause she was your 3rd guess, Jon's queen and Petyr will get 5 points cause she is their only guess,

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my first post, I edited it, should be less confusing now.

Archived