2 questions on your reading process

SerStinger

1) Yes, but that develops over time, and changes. Over the course of the first book, Tyrion became one of my favourites, and I found myself actively rooting for him and skirting over his more questionable behaviour in later books. In the last one, however, my opinion of him has lessened, and I now feel less strongly on whether he 'wins' or 'loses'.

2) I make a note of things that disturb me as I read them, but if I like the character and find their actions understandable then I let it pass. Arya is an example of this. Her killing of Dareon (?) disturbed me, but given her character development and experiences, I find it understandable. If I dislike a character (such as Victarion), then I'm much more likely to notice their moral flaws and dislike them for it.

1) No, I do not pick a side while reading. I only started picking favorites when I started to comment about the books with other people. I also choose my favorites in two distinct ways: ONE - there are my favorites as in "most interesting characters" and TWO - my favorites as in "they were in the right" (or at least acted in understandable, non-vicious or immoral ways). And if my favorites die I I'm fine with that, but for the fact that I saddly no longer get to read about them.

2) I care for ethics while reading in so far as I automatically know if I'd consider something ethical or not if it happened in real life. But this does not contributes in anyway as if I do like the character on the first way I've mentioned. A work can be full of immoral, devious characters and be pretty entertaining or be full or moral characters and be dull and uninspiring. Although experience has showed me that the works with grey morality (as in real life), but not grey enough that nobody is either moral or immoral (also as in real life) are the best ones cause they feel more cathartic and realistic.

My favorite character, Ser Barristan Selmy, for instance, is one that combines both likeability and interesting factors. So yeah, that's my take.

And this is where the books get their unique charge, I think. GRRM is a master at getting me to talk back to the characters in the books, usually to ask them why on earth they did such a thing, are they crazy, etc.

The Lannisters are my favorite characters to read. Clearly, I don't let morals get in the way of my enjoyment.

Martin created a world filled with grey characters and morally questionable cultural practices. I can enjoy a character whether they are "good" or not. But, Martin has said, more than once, he wrote books that require re-reads. He wants us to think, to react, to understand, to question. In a series filled with such complex characters, committing both good and bad acts, I think it's a bit simplistic to say that we only need to "root for our favorites". Sure, enjoy them and have fun reading it. I sure do. But, that's only a portion of what I want to get out of ASOIAF.

I root for a general team ( Stark, Go Sansa ) but I'm also into other characters and root for them as well like Davos, Brieene, Sam, Tommen and Myrcella, etc.

I also debate the choices they make, but I try to keep it in their reasoning with out adding 21 century ethics ( admittedly I fail sometimes ), I for one don't dislike Bran for entering Hodor on the two times it was necessary.

My favorite character changes as I read. I tend to root for the character from the POV I'm reading, and, once I've finished the book, I skim through it to pick up some things I might have left behind, and I change sides again. Then, some time later, I remember some characters more fondly than others, and when I start a reread, my favorites change again. They are all so well written I can't help but noticing different aspects of them, almost everyone has an interesting side.

I don't care about morals while I'm reading, I consider that aspect after I finish the book and process what has happened. Anyway, I usually like to try to see things from different points of view, not just my own, and having the books divided in POVs makes me understand why a character does what he/she does, it's like walking in their shoes, you see the world through their eyes, understand their reasons, somehow see their thinking process. I don't usually judge them.

I just enjoy the story. I do think about the characters, their morals, etc., because that is part of the characters that GRRM has created. And, I do have favorites that I want to see succeed in the end. But, I can enjoy "bad" guys as much as "good".

Take Cersei, for example. I love to hate her. I want her to get what she deserves, but she is a great character, IMO.

Even characters that I loathe beyond all others (Joffrey and Ramsay) add to the story, so I appreciate their part as well.

Martin's books are in a class of their own in fantasy fiction, IMO. There are none like them that I've ever seen.

I don't take morality into account that much when reading fiction. Although I do feel certain deaths are justified like mmd death cos she deserved it but then again I come to theon's torture n maybe a bit of morality kicks in n I think omg that's just sooooo wrong!

warging/shadow assassins n so forth r a part of the story n I didn't see anything wrong with it. This is war n people must use whatever tools they have. When people take things a step further than that (ramsey) then one can judge.

I think I developed my favs in book 1. Dany, jon, arya n a few r my favs.

I am interested in the characters view on ethics and morals, like the difference between Ned's compared to The Hounds. And I rooted for Daenerys but as the characters change my rooting also changes. I think its impossible to root for every character your read though an interesting way of reading, I could not support Theon in ACOK.

I enjoy reading Cersei scenes, and her decisions as Queen and I compare it to what I would do if i were in her position. But someone like Ramsay Bolton than couldnt begin to process the shit that he does, he's just a character that gets a big reaction from me. And as a reader I enjoy that too :)

My favorites changed a lot, From Daenerys, Sansa, even Cersei (in hopes she becomes nice but i dont think this will be :() And now the Sand Snakes!

Archived