What would have the kings of winter thought of Ned

I personally think they would have adored him; albei not as much as Robb. I'm not going to look up the quote I think I could recall seeing in atleast once in agot.(I loaned the book out any way.) regardless; I think, Ned is in the crypts either when he was in there or in a dream and says something along the lines of him not feeling welcome among the hard stone kings of winter. I think they would respect ned as much as we do. Mainly because he's the best dude ever. Sooo honorable and everything he did was for good. Plus he was super bad ass. In agot he was getting prepared to fight a war before he got seized. Tht was a bit silly he really should've been more prepare but that's Ned; his great honor is his down fall. Robb on the ther hand is a king of winter. The king who stood. Undefeated in the battle field. Btw where are his bones? Any way of they ever make it to the winterfel crips he should where the crowns the old ones had because he died a king. I hope jeyne stark is with the black fish and pregnant.

I personally think they would have adored him; albei not as much as Robb. I'm not going to look up the quote I think I could recall seeing in atleast once in agot.(I loaned the book out any way.) regardless; I think, Ned is in the crypts either when he was in there or in a dream and says something along the lines of him not feeling welcome among the hard stone kings of winter. I think they would respect ned as much as we do. Mainly because he's the best dude ever. Sooo honorable and everything he did was for good. Plus he was super bad ass. In agot he was getting prepared to fight a war before he got seized. Tht was a bit silly he really should've been more prepare but that's Ned; his great honor is his down fall. Robb on the ther hand is a king of winter. The king who stood. Undefeated in the battle field. Btw where are his bones? Any way of they ever make it to the winterfel crips he should where the crowns the old ones had because he died a king. I hope jeyne stark is with the black fish and pregnant.

:thumbsup: Ya hit the nail on the head, the King's of Winter definitely would have signed off on Eddard Stark.

"Eddard Stark: first of his name, Hand of the King, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, best dude ever."

Ned, Lord of Winterfell extraordinaire. A man's man and "didn't play no games"! Is this a Ned appreciation thread? he he

As a self-proclaimed Nedhead, the Kings would be proud of how The Ned called his banners and put an end to a 300-year old mummers farce. They would approve of how he dispenses his own justice.

I also don't get the criticism that Ned is a fool. Ned went to King's Landing as a favor to his friend. Not to be involved in the game of thrones. He wasn't trying to make a king. He got sucked in to a situation that was developing rapidly and as he admitted himself, he didn't have enough of his own men around. That forced him to rely on someone he couldn't trust, Littlefinger. But what was his alternative. Renly offered his swords, but they weren't enough. Was he to turn to Varys? Grand Maester Pycelle? And Ned wasn't gong to kidnap children and threaten their lives.

As the OP stated, Ned was making preparations to "hit the mattresses"...erm...go to war against the Lannisters when Cersei had King Bob killed. He wasn't naive nor foolish. His way of going about things may not be to the liking of some readers, but he was a man dealing with mice. Personally, I can't get behind the little games played by LF, Varys, Pycelle and Cersei. None of those guys are paragons of masculinity. What's there to like? I can at least respect the fact that Jaime is willing to fight as opposed to playing games.

Get at me, dog!

The Kings of Winter were hard, cold occasionally cruel men with values different from our sweet Ned-saying that they'd approve of him is a bit like saying that Abe Lincoln would approve of Obama.

And who, might I ask, referred to Ned as sweet? What is the word most used by other characters when describing Ned?

And who, might I ask, referred to Ned as sweet? What is the word most used by other characters when describing Ned?

I used "sweet". :P

Ned is not a hard or a cold man-he's an introvert who's not good with people. He's a stickler for the law but still tries to be as merciful as possible-for instance, he uses his Valyrian steel sword to execute a lowly deserter, possibly because it guarantees a quick end.

It is difficult to see Ned identifying with the Kings of Winter-I can't see him being down with blood sacrifices for instances.

I don't think this question could be answered at this point, given the lack of information we have on the old Kings of Winter. However, with the large number of kings who presided over the North for 8000-ish years, I'd guess it impossible they'd all come to agree on one conclusion. Different times breed different men. They might resent him for no other reason than he's the descendant of kneelers who gave up their domain, they might love him for his honour and the way he tried to do what was right. I think we can all agree they'd hate Cat.

Most likely "What a soft-hearted loser". Most of them were harsh men. Screwing over your family and House to help 3 kids who were born of incest and their parents were Ned's enemies, is not something they'd approve.

Ha ha. I'm sure if given the choice between those two options he would choose the latter.

I dont think they would approve of the whole, tell cercei your plan thing. But other then that, a good lord of winterfell.

He didn't disclose any crucial information to Cersei. He simply confronted her and gave her some advice. A warning is not a plan. Had his naive daughter not disclosed his actual plans his family would be fine, even if he himself would not have been.

I'd say they would respect the man for what he believed in and upheld, the way he raised his children, the loyalty he inspired, and the way he took control over his realm considering his status as a second son, a soldier for the North, eager to protect his brother's lands and bound to fight for that same brother/liege lord.

They'd probably have been fine with him as Lord of Winterfell, but also displeased with his 'weakness'/mercy in King's Landing. Where one Stark wiped out a cadet branch of his house (Greystarks), Ned helped bring ruin on his own house by showing mercy to three children of another house whose parents were incestuous to boot and whose very existence was proof of treason. The older Starks weren't all kind, noble men like Ned.

They'd probably have been fine with him as Lord of Winterfell, but also displeased with his 'weakness'/mercy in King's Landing. Where one Stark wiped out a cadet branch of his house (Greystarks), Ned helped bring ruin on his own house by showing mercy to three children of another house whose parents were incestuous to boot and whose very existence was proof of treason. The older Starks weren't all kind, noble men like Ned.

It's all part of the plan. Every 8,000 years or so the Starks have to prove themselves worthy of being Kings in the North by taking on and destroying The Others. So it's on Bran "The All-seeing, Supreme Being" and Rickon "The Untamed", with a special appearance by Arya "The Eliminator" and an assist from Sansa "The Hidden" to step up to the plate.

But seriously, how did Ned bring ruin to the Starks? And how was he choosing Cersei's kids over his? Ned made all the necessary arrangements to spirit his daughters out of King's Landing so that he could proceed with righting the wrongs of the Lannisters. Had Sansa not run to Cersei, at worst, Ned gets killed. And seeing as House Stark was able to survive losing it's Lord and heir 15 years prior they would've been fine losing Ned and even Robb.

Archived