How many posters are not big fantasy fans?

BondJamesBond

These books have taken over my life. I have always been an avid reader, but I was never the type of person to discuss them with anyone. Joining an online forum was completely out of my character, but I love this place immensely. It's 4:18 in the morning, and I've been awake since 7:30 yesterday morning, so obviously I'm a ASOIAF junky! :wub:

I have to say that I'm very similar in this regard as well. There are many books that I immensely love, but I would have never thought of joining a forum. ASOIAF impacted my life in a way no other book did.

The LOTR books and movies bored me to tears and I could never see the appeal behind them. I just never liked epic high fantasy with dichotomous good vs evil. ASOIAF was enjoyable to me for the political intrigue and multi-faceted characters, and the magic didn't bother me either.

I first read LOTR in 1976, then again in 1999. I picked it up again in 2002 after the first movie came out and have read it every single year since then. Silmarillion twice, The Hobbit several times. I didn't pick up ASOIAF until I saw previews for the HBO series. I went thru all 5 books in about 3 months and now I'm on my first reread of the series. I did take a Sci-Fi lit class in college but was never particularly interested in it. I did read Philip Pullman's Golden Compass series a few years ago but only because he'd been compared to Tolkien. Didn't especially enjoy it. I do absolutely love Philip Rothfuss' King Killer Chronicles and can't wait for the 3rd book. Also loved James A. Owen's Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica - a "young adult" series that most young adults would be completely befuddled by as it's filled with authors and references to their works that only the most well-read "young adult" would begin to understand. About the only other "medieval" type book I've read is The Mists of Avalon. I tend to go for historical fiction ---Michener, Edward Rutherford, Ken Follet (as in Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, Fall of Giants - not his spy stuff), Gabaldon and Donati. I realize the last two authors border on "romance" but there is a ton of history in those books as well. I don't read "romance" or "bodice ripper" novels.

Completely forgot to add that I've read all of the Harry Potter books as well. :)

I think it's over for us, at least until the last book comes out. :laugh:

These books have taken over my life. I have always been an avid reader, but I was never the type of person to discuss them with anyone. Joining an online forum was completely out of my character, but I love this place immensely. It's 4:18 in the morning, and I've been awake since 7:30 yesterday morning, so obviously I'm a ASOIAF junky! :wub:

Ditto to this.

Ive joined exactly one other forum 4 years ago that i was still on until i started lurking around here a year ago.

I read anywhere from philosophy to crime to history typically.

This was basically what got me started on the books:

Bf: That reminds me of something that was on GoT.

Me: What's GoT?

Bf: A new HBO show based on a fantasy series I like. But I don't want to spoil it for you.

Me: Oh whatever, I don't like fantasy and I'm not going to watch it anyway. Just tell me!

Bf: Okay then. [goes on to explain the entire plot of the first book]

Me: Wait, so she wants to kill the king that she's cheating on with her own brother? What the hell? [immediately devours entire series]

I only wish I hadn't gotten the whole first booj spoiled for myself. :(

I read lots of kids stories when i was younger (heaps of rereads of harrypotter) and I liked fantasy. but once i got to secondary school i gave up on reading for fun. Adult fantasy always seemed too cliche or too bogged down by details for me (lotr) so i avoided it untill the game of thrones came out on tv

Besides Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter I don't like fantasy movies or books. But because there was barely any magic in the first season of the series until the end I got hooked on the world, the characters and the story. It's because of Martin's way of introducing magic to the world and the characters feels natural.

heh....I'm a pretty big fantasy dork. I remember seeing the first screenshot from Elder Scrolls Oblivion and it was just some random knight in a forest and I remember thinking "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVAAAARRR>!!!}!>!>!

So yeah ASOIAF is right up my alley.

really enjoyed tolkien in my late teens, so a mate lent me books 1 of Discworld and WOT. found Pratchett too whimsical and Jordan too boring so didnt get past 100 pages of either. always preferred horror to other genres, though really liked Herberts dune trologies for the intricate plots, and backstabbing involved

Hmm well I've never read Pratchett, Jordan, Rice or Rowling. Have read Lovecraft (you could call it fantasy in a way), Tolkien and Dick. Still doubting about reading the Dark Tower series from King and the original Conan series from Howard.

Have played Bladur's Gate to death though so I know a thing or two about AD&D but I've never played tabletop D&D nor would I want to.

In other words I suppose I'm a moderate fantasy fan not really hardcore.

I don't read fantasy or much sci-fi, and have not read LOTR or Harry Potter. I have seen only parts and pieces of the LOTR and HP movies, and found them boring - I never can make it past the quidditch match. I found ASoIaF from the HBO series and I am totally hooked - I love a good saga - the longer the better. Good sagas are hard to come by, though, so I mostly read contemporary fiction by women authors.

Yes. There should be a warning label. It's what happens when you read something like 3000 pages while watching a very popular television series while discussing immensely popular books with everyone you know...

Amen to that.

I'm not a big fantasy geek. Though I've read the occasional fantasy book, they are usually a bit out of the ordinary and not the famous epics.

I think about 80% of what I read is history and I love the series partly because of its parallels with history and the broadness of its world, which is much more complex than most fantasy books.

I'm generally an avid fantasy fan, but this series is one of the few adult fantasy (low fantasy?) books I've read.

High Fantasy is fantasy taking place in an entirely fictional universe, like LOTR or ASOIAF. :)

heh....I'm a pretty big fantasy dork. I remember seeing the first screenshot from Elder Scrolls Oblivion and it was just some random knight in a forest and I remember thinking "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVAAAARRR>!!!}!>!>!

So yeah ASOIAF is right up my alley.

This. Between Elder Scrolls and aSoIaF..... I've wasted half my life.

I've always been a fan of science fiction (Star Wars mainly, although good Star Wars novels are quite rare) but last summer I decided to find some good fantasy novels on Amazon. The ASoIaF books dominated the top 10 list so I decided to give the series a try. After the first pages of aGoT I got hooked and here I am. I've always liked fantasy too, but had read only Harry Potter, Narnia and a few other fantasy novels.

Archived