For lack of a better word, yes. She doesn't strike me as someone who play second fiddle to the first wife.

Well, IMO the most likely scenario is that Lyanna would be the de jure second wife while being the de facto sole wife. Rhaegar had no reason to have intimate relations with Elia since she was incapable of having children. Their marriage would simply be a formality, while Rhaegar's marriage to Lyanna would be the "true" one.

Like the sister-wife situation among Mormons? Elia being the first and more powerful wife and Lyanna the second one, both marriages being legal in Rhaegar eyes?

I can see that.

I don't see why Elia would care that much considering their marriage was political...as long as her off-spring were not pushed aside for the crown then I think Rhaegar probably could have done what he wanted in this situation.

Exactly what Budj said. Also, Dorne could gain some favors in exchange for their cooperation: positions in the Small Council, in the Faith, the Citadel, maybe eventually even a greater part in the Kingsguard, just to name a few.

For lack of a better word, yes. She doesn't strike me as someone who play second fiddle to the first wife. I'm pretty sure she's infatuated with him but to "dishonor" her family? She is a Stark after all. But then again, crazier things have been done for love. It's just a question though.

Lyanna liked to defy social conventions - I'd think her a hypocrite if she wouldn't do the same in this case. Also, the question is: what would she want by marrying Rhaegar? Being the most important woman in the realm, politically, or having him, specifically, his love or whatever, for herself? And even if her interests were political, she would still be the second most important woman in the realm, a higher position than she would have by marrying Robert. And her son would be second in line when Rhaegar became king. Considering Elia couldn't have any more children and wouldn't be the first in Rhaegar's thoughts anyway, I'd say that's a great bargain she made.

But even assuming she wouldn't want to be a second wife, we're talking about a woman in love here, and a 16-year-old at that - it wouldn't be that hard for Rhaegar to persuade her about a thing or two. Also, if she ran away with him, or was kidnapped, being second wife would be her only chance of preserving her and her family's honor, assuming that mattered so much to her.

Archived