On the subject of who resembles whom in the graphic novels: on her deathbed, Lyanna looks like Angelina Jolie, so I don't think those images are definitive. ;)

Yay! Now that I have seen v.28 end I don't feel new!

Ned and Jon don't look anything like each other when Jon's supposed to be the spitting image of Ned. I read somewhere that GRRM saw to every page of the graphic novel. Clearly not. And yeah, Jon is definitely Targaryen-looking.

Did anyone else think that Robb and Bran look almost identical? Like big and small versions of the same thing; not younger and older but Big and Small. Weird. I don't think we should put too much faith in this.

Ned and Jon don't look anything like each other when Jon's supposed to be the spitting image of Ned. I read somewhere that GRRM saw to every page of the graphic novel. Clearly not. And yeah, Jon is definitely Targaryen-looking.

Did anyone else think that Robb and Bran look almost identical? Like big and small versions of the same thing; not younger and older but Big and Small. Weird. I don't think we should put too much faith in this.

Maybe George wanted it that way to extenuate his possible Rhaegar parentage

Maybe they were only trying making Lyanna hot :P Anyway the images may indeed not be definitive, who knows... Didn't GRRM approved it?

At the end of the comic, as I have said in a previous post, there is an appendix. There, the artists clearly stated that they would send drafts of the characters to George and he would approve/disapprove. If the latter, they would change the designs.

As for Jon and Ned, they do have a "few things in common" if one looks carefully. Jon has the kind of Stark look except for his facial features which are more lean and delicate... he has the Stark look, softened by Targaryen features. And his eyes are similar to Ned's although there are hints of lilac here and there. He almost looks like an "Elvish" Stark ;)

Thanks! I've always heard that George had a huge say how characters were portrait in the graphic novel. And from the descriptions in the books I've always felt that Jon had some Stark features (dark hair and grey eyes) but is body type was maybe more like a Targaryen.

Rhaegar's eyes were dark indigo (or so it appears in Dany's visions) and not lilac like Dany or Viserys'. Jon's eyes were "a grey so dark they seemed almost black" (Bran's first POV) so not even his eyes were 'completely Stark-like', only his hair which was dark brown as Ned's :)

Maybe George wanted it that way to extenuate his possible Rhaegar parentage

At the end of the comic, as I have said in a previous post, there is an appendix. There, the artists clearly stated that they would send drafts of the characters to George and he would approve/disapprove. If the latter, they would change the designs.

As for Jon and Ned, they do have a "few things in common" if one looks carefully. Jon has the kind of Stark look except for his facial features which are more lean and delicate... he has the Stark look, softened by Targaryen features. And his eyes are similar to Ned's although there are hints of lilac here and there. He almost looks like an "Elvish" Stark ;)

Okay so I went back and had a look. Jon does have a few Stark features: his eyebrows look like Ned's (I find that funny for some reason) and his and Arya's lips are sort of the same. And his and Ned's face are long though Ned's is broader. He does have an Elvish look to him :) . Compare his and Viserys's pictures, Jon's face doesn't look as harshly angular but its definitely quite similar.

I'm actually quite surprised that GRRM put all this in considering how he never discusses theories. Quite surprised!

ETA: And his nose is Ned's nose! Lol why didn't I see all this before? :blushing:

This was an excerpt from my ADWD reviews and I thought to share it with you... beware for those who haven't read the entire 1-5 books.. :)

In the first book, GOT, (though I ignored this at first) we knew he was a bastard of Ned Stark to some woman named Wylla. It was a pity that Jon suffered emotional torture from Catelyn Stark. I couldn’t blame Catelyn if her honorable husband had bedded this wench of a woman and to think, according to King Robert Baratheon, (if I read it correctly), he loved Wylla. Okay, I did bought that alibi. My suspicion arrived only when Ned and Robert were down the abyss of Winterfell, where, Starks were buried and Ned, remembered clearly how Lyanna Stark said her last words. “Promise me, Ned, promise me.” And all clear to me what was the promise Lyanna mentioned to him on her deathbed? It’s kind of weird.

And then, when Arya was in Harrenhaal, a certain Dornish noble boy, (i forgot his name, sorry.), mention that Jon Snow was his milk-nurse brother or whatever that is, though it occured to me, that Jon and him shared a woman who breastfeeds them and know by the name Wylla. His aunt and Ned were a lover according to him but when Ned chose Catelyn to wed, she threw himself on a cliff. I assume that before Catelyn was to be wed to Ned (which she was formerly bethroted to Ned’s brother), Ned, loved this Wylla or this Dornish lady. But the tides turned when Ned’s Brother died in the hands of the Mad King Aerys when Lyanna was taken by Rhaegar which in my part, I believe Lyanna ran away with Rhaegar. Remember, during the tourney in King’s Landing, it wasn’t Elia-princess of Dorne, whom he crowned as a woman of love and beauty, but Lyanna. So yeah, I speculated that during their runaway, Rhaegar and Lyanna did conceived somewhat a child perhaps..or rather Jon Snow. Yeah, yeah, I know that was pretty much of an speculation, and yeah I’m getting loco about this whole scenario. What would be the promise of Lyanna that she needed Ned to solemnly swear the promise? Absurd? The only lead to this was Holand Reed-father of Jojeen and Meera Reed, the companion of Bran Stark. Holand was the living survivor and the only witness of what really happened at the Tower of Joy. I hope Martin would include him as a POV characters but I had my high hopes, Bran will look it through the godswood or I’m betting, the last chapters of ADWD, wherein, Jon was in the verge of life and death, would come across towards the Reed. Until so, these are all a big guess. Okay, back to my hypothesis, No one saw or probably on accounts that this Wylla did conceived Jon Snow. The lad of whom, Arya met on Harrenhaal said could then be fact, we will assume. Notice that the young boy said, Jon was his milk-nurse. Probably, Ned paid Wylla to have done so to care for Jon and then returns to Winterfell. My guess also about the aunt of that lad, who threw himself on a cliff was too absorbed or might guess of Ned’s affair to Wylla thus jealousy overtook her and ended her life. (Now that was absurd, but hey, I have a wild imagination, so, that was my best guess for that woman). Anyway even Ned agrees that it cost so much on his part like the untimely death of the woman (whom he loved mostly), his honor was tainted as everyone knows he brought a child with him on Winterfell, and he couldn’t say a word of Jon’s mother even to Jon himself. You would say, that, Jon possessed all the Northmen’s physical appearances-had a resemblance of Ned too. I think it was Sansa who was absorbed to the idea that maybe Arya was a bastard like Jon since all three of them looks like the Tully’s and Ned. Apparently, Catelyn said Arya looks like Lyanna, a Stark for the matter. So if Arya and Jon looks like exactly, then it could be that Jon resembles Lyanna. The hair of Targaeryens are silvery white and eyes of purple aren’t what Jon’s characteristics. I remember, during the capture of Arianne, I hope I’m correct, there was this silvery haired girl with eyes of purple, sorry I don’t seem to recall her name, and she wasn’t related to the Targaeryens. Yes. So it’s a possible that, Jon inherit the attributes of the north and not of the Targaeryens, and of course, Jon was a warg of course. Symbolically, I think having Ghost, his albino direwolf, was an indication that probably he was a Targ. I’m assuming, Martin has to relate Jon or connect him to the targs by means of having a White Direwolf by his side. If Jon was a Targ, he has the right to claim the Iron throne, but he was a bastard to start with. I assumed Rhaegar wed Lyanna. It could be, who knows what really happened in the Tower of Joy, besides, by polygamy, Rhaegar can wed anyone. Or if not, I would seem to recall and hoping for the best that before the Red Wedding, Robb signed a waiver that a King in the North would likely accept Jon as a rightful heir to the North, thus, legitimizing him. Legitimizing Jon could also possibly mean that he can claim the throne-the Iron throne. (but that letter hasn’t resurfaced yet). I’m thinking about Jon’s death could possibly mean him free from his vows, could father a son (by which I was hoping for Daeny..lol) and take the Iron throne with Dany.

I don't have the graphic novel and I can't find any hint of violet in Jon's eyes in the images from the links but I take your word for it, no reason to question this. I only underline the fact that Martin was also actively involved in the casting process and imo Jon looks nothing like a Targaryen. Except his colours, he resembles Robb much. If you search for refined lines, Bran is a better candidate. Jon has a strong face and dark features. I'm not implying that this is a proof that he is not a Targ, simply that it's not a proof that he is. Same with the graphic novel.

I don't have the graphic novel and I can't find any hint of violet in Jon's eyes in the images from the links but I take your word for it, no reason to question this. I only underline the fact that Martin was also actively involved in the casting process and imo Jon looks nothing like a Targaryen. Except his colours, he resembles Robb much. If you search for refined lines, Bran is a better candidate. Jon has a strong face and dark features. I'm not implying that this is a proof that he is not a Targ, simply that it's not a proof that he is. Same with the graphic novel.

If we look at the actors, we can barely see any trace of Tully in Robb, Bran or Rickon either. It seems to me that some of the cast was chosen more for what they considered appropriate acting than the physical characteristics anyway.

Ah, but an artist has complete control of facial structure and features he gives each character. Casting agents can't be as precise. They try to adhere to a character's physical description when they can, but other factors are taken into account. I don't envision Viserys to look like Harry Lloyd, yet he did a fantastic job portraying the scumbag. Actually the adorable little boy that plays Bran is the closest to the Stark look as described in the books.

I don't think anyone believes the graphic novel to be hard evidence of Jon's parentage, just something to take note of while we ride out the next 20 years waiting for the series to be completed. :laugh:

If we look at the actors, we can barely see any trace of Tully in Robb, Bran or Rickon either.

It's rather odd that they darkened Richard Madden's hair when his natural reddish color is exactly what Robb is supposed to have. I'm glad they didn't touch Bran's though, that kid has enviable lustrous locks.

Thanks! I've always heard that George had a huge say how characters were portrait in the graphic novel. And from the descriptions in the books I've always felt that Jon had some Stark features (dark hair and grey eyes) but is body type was maybe more like a Targaryen.

I must confess that I have not seen any of the panels in the graphic novels. As I am not a fan of R + L = J, I don't have much interest in seeing how Jon is portrayed. I must say that I would be disappointed if Jon's appearance in the graphic novels has changed from the description of him given in the books. In GoT, for example, he is described as looking almost exactly like a younger version of Ned.

Since GRRM had a say in the drawing of the characters in the graphic novel, I have to assume that any change in Jon's physical appearance from GoT to the graphic novel to make him look for like a Targ is another example of him indirectly telling us that Rhaegar is Jon's father.

From the scans posted here in forum, I don't they changed much Jon's appearance (except for the few shades of violet that Jon's eyes seems to have in graphic novel. I couldn't see it in the scans). The rest is almost the same as in the book, imo. He has Stark features, looks a bit like Ned but he's more body slender than Ned or Robb that are described in the books as being broad shouldered I think.

Anyway, I only saw the scans, I don't have the paper version. That's my only impression :)

Archived