When did the books get to you?

SerMilady

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I know, I know, this thread will no doubt get clogged up with a certain red social event, but it's worth a shot anyway, just to see what people react to.

For me, it was when the Red Viper fell to Gregor Clegane. I wanted him to win so much, like you have no idea. I sat there in the dark, wide-eyed, verbally going "come on, Oberyn, no, not that way, yes... no, no, don't stand there talking about it, GRRM, don't you dare be setting him up for me... crunch..... really? Crunch? GRRM, did you just fucking crunch Oberyn Martell at the hands of Gregor fucking Clegane?" I'm serious. I was waay more pissed about that than the Red Wedding or Ned or anything before that.

Of course, there is the fact that I spoiled myself about most of the stuff in that book (I'm just that kind of person, sadly), from the Red Wedding to death on the shitter, but that part somehow evaded me and genuinely danced all over my nerves while I read it.

Wait... is this how you all felt reading all the stuff before that, unspoiled? Sweet gods....

Anyway.

I cried so hard when Joffrey died :bawl:

I LMAO :laugh:

The RW: It was a shock.

Bran's and Rickon's (supposedly)heads on a spike.

Tywin's death: Quite unexpected.

Donald Noye's death.

First time they really annoyed me was when Stannis lost the Battle of the Blackwater. It was like "oh for f**ksake why can't that c**t Joffrey just die!!!!!!" Fortunatly my prayers were answered shortly after :)

And this too^^.

SerMilady, you make the best topics, thank you.

There was only one part of the book which really annoyed me, and it was Danny swooning over Daario. Daario is a savage, brainless, consumerist piece of shit, and my beloved Dany should not swoon over him. :bang: Plus, I'm pissed that he still remembers Drogo fondly. But I guess that the writer wants to emphasize her teenness (that is not a word).

Red Wedding, if I hadn't been reading that on my Kindle Fire, it would have flown towards the nearest wall. It was several days after that before I would open the book again. I was pissed.

But, Joffreys death almost made up for it. Tyrion finding out that no, Tywin does NOT shit gold, made anything before it worth it. I was literally saying "Yes, yes yes!" while pumping my fist when I read that.

Well, it wasn't so much Joffrey's death that I liked, prick deserved special attention from Ramsay as far as I'm concerned, but Cersei's reaction. I literally ate her anguish up like candy. I was glad she was finally getting her due.

Ned's death, Stannis' defeat, Bran and Rickon's 'deaths', Robb and Catelyn's death, Maester Aemon's death,Theon's Dance-arc and Jon's assasination.

Master Aemon's speech to Jon about family, loyalty etc when he revealed he was a Targaryen. That's the point at which I knew GRRM had got me well and truly hooked because it was just such a powerful scene and yet so under played in the book.

Lady's death was a shocker, Ned's would have been if I hadn't already spoiled that reading other stuff on the internet. The RW didn't make me angry but it definitely had the OMG factor.

Saddest thing in the books so far for me has probably been the tale of Tyrion's first wife, that really was pretty harsh!

Oh, and if Podrick turns out to be dead, my books will get their first taste of the wall. And no, I'm not sending them to join the Night's Watch.

The Winds of Winter spoilers:

GRRM confirmed that Pod is still alive, he said that in one of his readings this year, check the Winds forum for more information.

In addition to moments named already or ones that shocked, disgusted or saddened me--there are some that really moved me ins positive sense, too. For example, I get goose bumps when I reread Dany's vow of vengeance on Khal Jhaqo and Mago:

GOT: "It was a cruel fate," Dany said, "yet not do cruel as Mago's will be. I promise you that, by the old gods and the new, by the lamb god and the horse god and every god that lives. I swear by the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh."

"I am Daenerys Stormborn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon's daughter, and I swear to you these men will die screaming."

Bring it!!

Archived