When did the books get to you?

SerMilady

I mean, the whole was screwed up. They stabbed him out of nowhere over a trifle. Sam was left alone with Gilly and her baby while their so called "Brothers" looted and raped and went on eating as if they're Lord Commander and one of the truest staunchest men in Westeros hadn't been murdered. I lost all hope for the Watch.

When I first got the books, I was forewarned not to get attatched to the characters. I knew I had failed when I got so upset over Jory's death.

Ned's death and Red Wedding were spoiled for me; but I still had to put the book down, clear my head, and smoke a cigarette after they happened.

In my recent reread Viserys's death actually made me tear up. He was an ass, but he was a sad ass.. Ha.

The only time i've actually cried a little was during Theon's DwD arc when he thought, "Where was I? I should have been with him." in regards to Robb and Red Wedding.

I'm a toughie, I suppose.

Everything you all have said, along with one I'm kind of embarrassed to admit. The depiction of the cat suffering an agonizing death because Joffrey shot it with a crossbow in chapter 32 of A Clash of Kings. For some reason it really got to me, to the point where I had to put the book down for a while. I've learned to harden my heart with the human characters, so I'm able to shake off my upset quicker I guess. I try not to get attached to any of them anymore. But for some reason I couldn't shake the mental image of the poor yellow cat, slowly dieing like that. I wanted to reach through the pages and kill Joffrey myself.

Everything you all have said, along with one I'm kind of embarrassed to admit. The depiction of the cat suffering an agonizing death because Joffrey shot it with a crossbow in chapter 32 of A Clash of Kings. For some reason it really got to me, to the point where I had to put the book down for a while. I've learned to harden my heart with the human characters, so I'm able to shake off my upset quicker I guess. I try not to get attached to any of them anymore. But for some reason I couldn't shake the mental image of the poor yellow cat, slowly dieing like that. I wanted to reach through the pages and kill Joffrey myself.

That is so true! I just can't stand cruelty to animals. Not even fictional.

Not suprisingly, Lady's fate was the first thing that really got to me (my family owns Irish Wolfhounds; that didn't make reading it easier).

Many of Cat's POVs got to me (I kinda get why some people hate her, but I still like her and suffered along), especially the scene with Ned's bones and RW.

Maester Aemon's death/Sam's speech.

Whenever Jaime remembers the other members of Aerys's Kingsguard or also Ned Stark or Rhaegar - it is obvious how much he longed for their approval (yes, Ned's too) and how much it bothers him to be judged (in the case of Ned and Barristan) or to feel that he would have been judged (in the case of the others) for killing Aerys. It makes me thing of that 15 year old boy who wanted to be a great knight like Arthur Dayne and who spent the next two years being told by the men who were his heroes and who he idolized that he should ignore what his conscience was telling him about Aerys. In addition to the wildfire plot, I think that was it was also the psychological pressure of that boiling and boiling inside himself that culminated in him killing Aerys, even if he wasn't aware of it at a conscious level. I think that's also why he was so burnt out once it was done that he just sat on the Iron Throne instead of taking further direct action to participate in what was going on in King's Landing.

Is there something wrong with me that I don't get angry or upset with an author who chooses to kill off characters? I can never understand when people say they had to stop reading after RW, or got pissed at GRRM. To me it's all just part of the story...and frankly most of the best/most entertaining parts of the story center around characters dying...

"Got to You" means?

Which connected me with the story was : Bran's chapter while he is unconscious after the fall..... His first encounter with 3-eyed crow :)

Loved it and got me attached with Bran. I loved Rahegar's Recollections to Daenerys in Book 3 by Arstan.

I Loved Faceless Men of Braavos in Feast.

In Clash of Kings: Jon Snow's climbing on the Cliff where the wildings (Ygritte, Orwell, ....) were nested.

Archived