Most complex characters?

I think the most complex characters are those we know so much about. So, I wouldn't say that characters other than the POVs are especially complex ( but there are a few exceptions, like Sandor, Varys, Doran and a few othres ) .

If I had to pick one POV who I think is the most complicated of them all, I would pick Jaime. Most of us thought he was kind of a douche until he got his own POV. When I read them, I figured out that he's been living in a shell this whole time. He's not as heartless and selfish as I thought he was.

Varys and Littlefinger, and whatever extent Illyrio is involved obviously are complex in the scheme of the series. I'd also like to add Eddard, keeping Jon Snow's mother a secret for that long makes you pretty damn complex, Doran and his gout, Tywin Lannister, Jaime, Cersei, Tyrion(I love all those fuckups), Jon Snow, Arya, Sansa, Bran and Stannis AND Barristan. So basically everyone except Dany and the ironborn. Oh and Theon since he's not a true Greyjoy, gotta love that Reek, Reek, it rhymes with sneak.

I must also admit an ashamed love for Brienne and all of her chapters, travelogue included. I might not find her the most complex, but definitely one of my favorite characters and I do hope that she and Jaime can live happily ever after. I do know it won't happen, but until then I'll keep hoping.

EDIT* How could I forget the Hound. Probably because he doesn't have a POV, but definitely one of the top five most complex characters in the entire series.

To me a complex character is one that offers the widest range of human experiences and emotions, someone who is capable of the worst and the best, who has experienced the deepest sadness and cruelty and who is as well capable to feel the joy of being alive - and who has the potential to change face in a very unexpected manner.

To be complex a character has to present a certain amount of reflectiveness and introspection. He or she needs a rich background story, rooted in history or personal ordeals and experiences.

i agree with this completely with the exception of i don't think they need a rich background story to be complex. i believe their story can be rather simple and still have them be complex. sandor and bran come to mind for me. both were young boys with very normal, simple dreams of being brave knights when they were grown. very simple and yet we know things turned out very differently for both of them. they've both undergone unbelievable catastrophes which have made their actions rather complex compared to their peers. sandor is constantly at war with himself as his childhood dreams must coexist with his true life experiences and bran, a noble born boy who's most controversial act was climbing towers after promising not to is now forcing his warg spirit into another weaker friend (hodor) while being fully aware that his presence is not welcome. bran's willingness to completely disregard how detrimental his actions might be here is something very hard to accept and very unexpected yet so understandable since it is the only way he can feel like a normal boy. very complex.

Though we have good reason to believe that players like Varys and Baelish are complex characters we can only guess and follow the observations of others when it comes to e.g. Stannis, Mance Rayder, Sandor, Olenna or Oberyn - and Ed Tollet and Missandei, the most underestimated.

again, i agree. we've been given insight into melisandre which has added to her complexity since we now know that while she is always ready to burn a living person for her personal gain, she is sincere in her beliefs just not very skilled as she believes she is and very misguided about what is being shown to her. if we had povs from some of these other characters - stannis, tywin and varys in particular - i believe there would be no doubt about their complexity. littlefinger, i'm not so sure about his complexity. i believe he is more cerebrally complex than characteristically. in other words, he's able to see life as a giant game of chess or cyvasse and plan, plot and move with great success which is very complex. (this is what i love about him!) but i believe his motivations are rather simple and his subsequent actions are very predictable, as are the motivations and actions of ned, cersei and catelyn.

A lot of the characters are complex, but if you want the most, I'd say:

Tyrion

Theon

Melisandre

Littlefinger

Jon Snow

Jaime (wasn't complex at all before his hand got lopped off, but was forced to become complex)

The Hound

Stannis

Arya ?*

* I am not sure if Arya is all that complex by comparison - she has a complex range of thinking, a lot of cunning and can seem very unlike herself, but the character's inner self seems very driven, focused along specific lines.

Though I think the character Sansa is more malleable by the readers and the debates reflect as much the complexity of topics concerning the character as the character itself.

Another poster, forgot who, called Tyrion "Martin's masterpiece".

Tyrion, hands down.

There's a reason why most threads about him end up with 20 pages and a flaming discussion.

I do not agree on Tyrion being properly "complex"

I see him as being a simple and linear kind of man if he could have had the possibility. he would have loved a woman and traveled the world, or stuff like that. he has no problme with what and who he is. is his father who has problme with him.

Jaime, on the other hand, is much more complex. the same for Sansa.

They do not really know who they are and what it takes for them to be happy in life. that mekes them properly "complex", IMHO.

Archived