Where is Daenerys going?

LaroC

It's well established that Daenerys is going back to Westeros. Originally when the series was still a trilogy, the second book "A Dance With Dragons" was to focus on Dany's return.

From the mouth of GRRM himself (http://www.infinityp...ion/intgrrm.htm):

"The next book, A Dance With Dragons, will focus on the return of Daenerys Targaryen to Westeros, and the conflicts that creates"

Although that interview is from 10 years ago, I can't imagine he would've changed his plans THAT radically.

Incidently, the fact we aren't even 2/3 through Martin's original plan is the reason I'm convinced there'll be at LEAST three more books.

I'm sorry, but I hope Dany never makes it to Westeros. I would think Martin is a literary genius, if he built her up the way he has, just to have her die without ever reaching Westeros. She doesn't deserve to have any impact on Westeros. The only true ruler is Stannis. Dany would just be a usurper.

Stannis is a douchebag and paranoid besides, who would want him as king? It would be like having a younger Walder Frey on the Iron Throne.

It's well established that Daenerys is going back to Westeros. Originally when the series was still a trilogy, the second book "A Dance With Dragons" was to focus on Dany's return.

From the mouth of GRRM himself (http://www.infinityp...ion/intgrrm.htm):

"The next book, A Dance With Dragons, will focus on the return of Daenerys Targaryen to Westeros, and the conflicts that creates"

Although that interview is from 10 years ago, I can't imagine he would've changed his plans THAT radically.

Incidently, the fact we aren't even 2/3 through Martin's original plan is the reason I'm convinced there'll be at LEAST three more books.

Daenerys obviously will invade Westeros in some way or another, it's clearly stated there by GRRM. I figure that the Jon Snow/Night's Watch dilemma will be resolved in TWOW, then Dany arrives at the end of the book, and that sets it all up for ADOS.

hodohodorhodorhodorhodor

Daenerys obviously will invade Westeros in some way or another, it's clearly stated there by GRRM. I figure that the Jon Snow/Night's Watch dilemma will be resolved in TWOW, then Dany arrives at the end of the book, and that sets it all up for ADOS.

I really hope danny arrives in westeros in the middle of TWOW and not at the end of it because i don't again a travel description like dance.

By the of aDwD she is in the Grass Sea, with Drogon, meetin Khal Jhaqo. So, my guess is that she is going to kill Jaqho and retrieve her khalasar. Ok...so, after that, she will go back to Merreen, at least to get her other dragons back.

So, after that, where is she going? She will go straight to Westeros, or is she marching to Volantis? That would be no sense at all in her mission as "chain breaker" if she leaves Volantis as it is...

And there is still what Quaithe prophesied first:

"To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

So, i'm a little lost by now. They where in Qarth when she sad that, so Dany has already gone south and east, right? So now she has to go back. To Mereen, to Westeros, to Pentos?

And pass beneath the shadow.. what does this mean? Beneath the Wall? or is it Asshai?

My guess of when it all began was in the Mother of Mountains, where was profetized that her son would be the Stallion. And then, now that she is in the Dothraki sea, she'll go there, prisioner or not, and then discover something, or have some kind of epifany, and then she will move forward...to Westeros, supposedly, but even so, if she sets to Westeros, she'll take detours regardless of her wishes. Or another possibility is that the "back" she has to return to is actually DragonStone, where she was born.... But i think she'll definetly go to Asshai some time.

• 2 weeks later...

There are too many possibilities for Dany at this point for me to be able to just decide on one. I think first she will either go to Vaes Dothrak or Meereen, then it's either Asshai (which I think is highly unlikely because GRRM said we won't go there), the free cities or somewhere also completely. There she could go to the red priests with Moqorro, visit Illyrio or just pretty much anywhere. I mean there are so many people scattered over Essos at this point whom she could meet and who could be important for her. When she finally does head for Westeros there is still the question where she will go first: Dragonstone, King's Landing, the Wall. I think that will depend on the situation in Westeros at that point.

Dany is fortold as to 'Pass under the shadow', basically to go to Asshai to get home. This doesn't seem likely because of time constraints and interviews an the like but lets not forget that Marwyn is on his way to Dany. He has been to Asshai and knows alot about strange and wonderful things, he, in someway, could lead her to Asshai before her return to Westeros.

I don't know about that whole Quaithe prophecy thing and what it all means but I think she'll be heading to Westeros.

What I got from the end of ADWD and the Drogon/Dany thing is that she'll be more of a no nonsense type of person now.

My guess is she she'll cow the Dothraki into her side by killing a few of the Khals. She'll then promise them rape and pillage in Merren and those areas. Once she gets that done she'll finally go to Westeros.

What happens after that only GRRM knows.

Daenerys is awesome, she will ride 'The Stallion who will mount the World' (Drogon) and eventually sit on the Silver throne next to King Aegon VI.

Weirdly enough, I see everyone hating her, but during the earlier books she was still developing a personality wich is now framed in Blood and Fire. In the end, she will resemble both Visenya and Rheanys, becoming a warrior Queen, but also a just ruler of the Kingdoms.

In my opinion her vision in the House of the Undying was that she would be a deus ex machina and arrive in Westeros just as a great army of the dead arrive at King's Landing. So, if that is the case, George needs her in some kind of holding pattern in the East.

I don't know what she will do in the next book other than perhaps gain another Khalesar and this one full of warriors who bowed down to her. Time to hit the Yunkai from behind I think.

In my opinion her vision in the House of the Undying was that she would be a deus ex machina and arrive in Westeros just as a great army of the dead arrive at King's Landing. So, if that is the case, George needs her in some kind of holding pattern in the East.

I don't know what she will do in the next book other than perhaps gain another Khalesar and this one full of warriors who bowed down to her. Time to hit the Yunkai from behind I think.

Which kind of sucks for her character development. Daenerys has been sitting in Essos for five books (her story in Meereek was dreadfully boring much like the whole city) , it would be nice to see her come to Westeros and see her reactions to walking on the very land itself and the other characters in her POV, notably her preconcieved notions, how she deals with things.

Showing up at the last minute with a relief army is too Gandalfy. You could be right and that is what happens though.

Stannis is a douchebag and paranoid besides, who would want him as king? It would be like having a younger Walder Frey on the Iron Throne.

That is really a bad comparison walder frey is a honourless guy while stannis has a very strong sense of justice and honor.

There are too many possibilities for Dany at this point for me to be able to just decide on one. I think first she will either go to Vaes Dothrak or Meereen, then it's either Asshai (which I think is highly unlikely because GRRM said we won't go there), the free cities or somewhere also completely.

I absolutely don't agree she will go to any of these place because if she does then we will need 4 more books to end the series.

I strongly believe 2 things will happen in the near future of Dany's plot line.

1) Dany will ally with the Dothraki at Vaes Dothrak and rally all the khalasars to her side paving the way for her to get back to the narrow sea and find a way back to Westeros. I believe that the Dothraki will not leave Essos with Dany, she will have other armies and people loyal to her cause willing to cross with her and the state of Westeros at this point will not require that many warriors.

2) Victarion is going to get either Rhaegal or Viserion killed, infuriating Dany and ruining all of the Victarion's plans of getting Dany back to Westeros himself.

Not sure if anyone already posted something similar... but I've put together THE WORLD that makes all this make sense:

http://i48.tinypic.com/f36dep.jpg

If you keep going past Ashai into "the darkness", you're just going into the Land of Always Winter, and eventually, Westeros. The world is clearly tilted on its axis, and similar to parts of our world, the far reach of the ice is in perpetual darkness most of the time.

Or..... not.

I had really hoped for this, going east so far you come out on the west, but I was unable to reconcile it with GRRM's comments that we wouldn't go any farther east then we had already been except in flashbacks. I guess we differ where I see Dany's rise in the dothraki only take a day, that is for the dosh khaleen to accept her, having every khalasar come together would obviously take time.

If the map Russimo linked to is reasonably accurate, Dany wouldn't technically be going east to get to asshai and the shadow. She would technically be going north. GRMM's comments don't technically rule out the theory.

To understand why she would be going north you must first remember the planets are sphereical and that both places labeled the shadow are actually the same place. So if we use westoros as a reference for north/south (IOW The North is infact north of The South), then the shadow is north of virtually everywhere. This would also put the south pole somewhere in or around Southoryos.

Or am I wrong?

If the map Russimo linked to is reasonably accurate[...]

It's not. There's a collection of maps out (The Land of Ice and Fire) that shows the whole "known" world, including Asshai. While it's located somewhat southeast of Qarth, it's still very much in the northern hemisphere. The Shadowlands also stretch northeast of Asshai, but never even reach the Shivering Sea.

It's not. There's a collection of maps out (The Land of Ice and Fire) that shows the whole "known" world, including Asshai. While it's located somewhat southeast of Qarth, it's still very much in the northern hemisphere. The Shadowlands also stretch northeast of Asshai, but never even reach the Shivering Sea.

I haven't seen the lands of ice and fire yet, do you know of any links where they could be veiwed?

Archived