Arstan

Lord Elrosir

I doubt most non-book reading show watchers will recognize him at first. I can only see them keeping him hidden for a couple of episodes though.

Really? I'd think everyone with an attention span longer than that of a goldfish would remember him.

Unless some dumbass at HBO decides to do a "previous on..." section at the start featuring Selmy's departure from King's Landing. Spoon feed the none readers and that. (I find "previously on..." on all shows both pointless and ruinous. I like shows that reward viewers for noticing little hints regarding future events. Without them being put on a plate for the viewer).

Besides, many professional critics who haven't read the book will soon put 2 and 2 together when they analyse the cast and realise it's the same actor. It will be somewhat awkward and clumsy -- half the audience knowing, half not -- having this character appear for a long time in the season in this disguise. Something tells me they will have Arstan reveal his identity much sooner than he did in the book.

What a facepalm.

Of course they will remind the viewers of him. TV and books as media are not the same thing. It will be obvious to show viewers who he is from the very start, as it should be.

Archived