The Dragon has three heads .... Who are they?

Brandon Builder

We know that Dany is the first head of the dragon, but who might the other two be?

How do you know that Daenerys is one of the heads of the dragon? We know she rides one of the only three known dragons in ASOIAF but that doesn't necessarily mean that she is one of Rhaegar's heads.

One of the heads is Rhaegar's son. Like so many prophecies in ASOIAF, Rhaegar got it slightly wrong. The first head is Jon. Daenerys is the second head since Rhaegar was looking right at her when he said there must be another.

One of the dragon's heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust.

Aegon

Yeah I'm of the opinion that it will be Dany, Jon & Aegon. But I think Bran will take control of one of them when a rider falls, whether it's Jon or Dany I'm not sure (I think Aegon will be their opponent and the catalyst for the Dance of Dragons 2.0)

I'm not sure about Tyrion. It seems the signs point to him being one of the three heads but it doesn't seem likely that he will be one of the original heads. Maybe he is gifted one of the Dragons after the events of the DoD 2.0..

Genuine query, can only one person ride a dragon at a time. And does a dragon have only one rider in it's lifetime ie once ridden by x can't be ridden by y

Only one person can ride a dragon at a time, but we have seen a few passengers. After a dragon's rider has died the dragon can take a new rider.

How do you know that Daenerys is one of the heads of the dragon? We know she rides one of the only three known dragons in ASOIAF but that doesn't necessarily mean that she is one of Rhaegar's heads.

One of the heads is Rhaegar's son. Like so many prophecies in ASOIAF, Rhaegar got it slightly wrong. The first head is Jon. Daenerys is the second head since Rhaegar was looking right at her when he said there must be another.

Aegon

Or someone else. The verdict is still out on the boy who would be king.

ETA: also, there's no reason that the Blackfyre would have to be one of the three heads of this dragon. It's not the same dragon as before, especially considering that only the one head washed up. Seems to indicate a dragon on his own. Yes, there will be a Blackfyre, but no it doesn't have to be one of the heads of the dragon. GRRM said the third head doesn't have to be a Targaryen, and Blackfyres are Targaryens.

Dany has had multiple prophetic dreams and visions, has survived walking into a funeral pyre when she should have died, hatched 3 dragons from stone eggs while under the red comet, and she's able to ride a dragon. I find it very unlikely after all of those things that she wouldn't be one of them. Dany is the only really obvious dragon because she's the last known Targaryen.

Aegon is possibly a Targaryen and Jon might be one as well. But neither is 100% confirmed in the books. Dany is the only confirmed Targaryen remaining, and she's riding dragons and having prophetic dragon dreams. She's one of the three.

Dany has had multiple prophetic dreams and visions, has survived walking into a funeral pyre when she should have died, hatched 3 dragons from stone eggs while under the red comet, and she's able to ride a dragon. I find it very unlikely after all of those things that she wouldn't be one of them. Dany is the only really obvious dragon because she's the last known Targaryen.

Aegon is possibly a Targaryen and Jon might be one as well. But neither is 100% confirmed in the books. Dany is the only confirmed Targaryen remaining, and she's riding dragons and having prophetic dragon dreams. She's one of the three.

I agree that Daenerys is one of the three. I was just pointing out that we can't be sure and that riders doesn't necessarily equal heads.

what everyone is forgeting is that when dany hears rhaegar say "the dragon must have 3 heads" she wasnt alive or in the womb at that time it was a magic flash back, rhaegar started to think that he would not be AA/tPwwP so he looked around at the targs that could grow up to be AA/tPwwP and the targ kids alive at the time were his son aegon and viserys and since elia could not baer another child and he did not know about dany being born he kidnaped lyanna (R+L=J) so the dragon would have 3 heads. Aegon, viserys and jon were all boys he never knew wether jon would be a boy but he probly hoped because as aemon said in FfC they always asumed it would be a prince not a princess

I am not saying it cant be dany because she is a girl im just saying that, in my opinion, that is what rhaegar thought and if jon had been born a girl she would still probly been a candidate

Rhaegar was wrong about his son being the Prince, he knew the dragon had three heads and along with Rhaenys, he needed one more. But as both Aegon and Rhaenys( as far as Dany know) are dead, we know also that Rhaegar was wrong about them. Now, Dany is assuming he's telling HER that there must be three heads, and she knows she's one of them, being the "mother" of the Dragons and the only Targaryen left at the moment. The other two Targaryan characters left are Jon (son of Rhaegar) and Aegon (either son of Rhaegar, a Blackfyre or Brightflame, but a Targaryen nevertheless).

I agree that Daenerys is one of the three. I was just pointing out that we can't be sure and that riders doesn't necessarily equal heads.

Well, no. The riders don't have to be heads. But I think that makes the most sense. Aegon and his sisters were the original dragon heads, and all 3 were dragon riders. GRRM tends to build off of what he's revealed. The logical conclusion based on what we know is that riders = heads. I suppose he could go in a completely different direction. I just don't find that very likely unless we're all missing something really obvious, which I guess is entirely possible.

Yes, there is only one dragon. It is Hydra like. Jon is probably the dragon with 'three heads', Snow, Stark, Targ.

The three-headed dragon goes back to Aegon I who chose it as his sigil. Each head represents one person. Rhaegar knew the prophecy well and he knew it would be three people. His mistake was in thinking the three had to be his children (unless by some miracle of plot twist that ends up being the case, but I find that unlikely). Rhaegar had some stuff wrong, but he was on the right track in general.

Archived