Dragonsteel Theory

greygnarl

I believe that Dragonsteel is a metal formed when Obsidian and Valryian steel are melted down and mixed together. I don't have any real textual evidence for this theory, just what I consider logic.

DRAGONglass+Valryian STEEL=Dragonsteel

Furthermore, it would make sense considering that the Last Hero would have needed some kind of special weapon. Valryian steel is light and sharp, making Wights no problem. Dragonglass grants he who wields it the feat of slaying Others. Thus, it would have been the perfect weapon for a prophesized hero like the Last Hero.

If my theory is correct then Dragonsteel would be the song of ice and fire:

-Dragonglass comes from the Lands of Always Winter.

-Valryian steel came from a volcanic landmass known as Valryia.

I am aware that this is borderline crackpot, but I just want to put it out there.

Dragonglass/Obsidian is of volcanic origin, hence the largest deposits of Dragonglass can be found on Dragonstone. So it's definitely not the "Ice" mentioned in the song.

• 3 weeks later...

Fair enough. I feel pretty stupid about that part now. I remembered the Children of the Forest giving the Night's Watch the obsidian in the past and forgot about Dragonstone completely.

I still think that Dragonglass+Valryian Steel=Dragonsteel

Thank you for clarification Bironic.

I had a theory posted to another thread that could explain the effectiveness of dragonsteel on the Others. All spells and magic aside, though I'm sure that to some extent they were necessary to forge such a blade, what if dragonsteel is just steel infused with obsidian. We know that obsidian, or dragonglass, is a very effective material against the white walkers. If you were to crush up obsidian into very fines shards or even powder and then fold it into a steel sword during the forging.... The sword would tend to take on a black or smoky color depending on the ratio of obsidian to steel. Still not sure if valyrian steel = dragonsteel.

ETA - spelling

that really isnt how alloys work. Silica would not bond to the iron and you would have a very brittle piece of metal.

• 1 month later...

The HBO adaptation has pretty much ended all of these theories. If you are unfamiliar with what I am referencing, I speak of episode 508. In this episode Jon is seen fighting an Other. During-and to finish-said fight Jon blocks the Other's attack and cuts through it, turning it into dust. Earlier that same Other did that same thing to a wildling and his blade while Jon was looking for their obsidian. Further, when you look up Dragonsteel on the wiki you are redirected to Valyrian steel. I had assumed it was due to Jon and Sam's discussion in A Dance with Dragons, but it may just be asked and answered.

I can only hope that the HBO adaptation will lead to an alternate ending as it has diverged so much from the books.

Archived