Prophecy: Sansa Kills Littlefinger

Devala

Do you really think that GRRM would make Sansa "figure out" who killed Arryn if it isn't meant to be plot move to get Sansa seek revenge on LF? That doesn't make any sense. LF is doomed.

Although I think Sansa is quite likely to get revenge on Littlefinger, I don't think this is ample reasoning -- think about how many characters figure out something critical and then end up dead/unable to do anything about it (e.g. Bran and Ned both finding out about Jaime&Cersei).

However, one of the things about Littlefinger that struck me the most was when he talked about never making your intentions clear. The only thing Littlefinger clearly wants is Catelyn, and Sansa seems to be in a unique position to take advantage of that sole weakness.

I also kinda want to Sansa turn all badass and start killing people (starting with Littlefinger), but as much as her character has developed I unfortunately doubt my dream's going to come true.

• 2 weeks later...

-Betraying her father, resulting in her capture, her father's death and Arya's abscondance

No. Ned took care of that on his own. He was a dead man walking as soon as he told Cersei his plans. Look at the actual timeline of events, Sansa actions had absolutely no impact on what happened.

-Lying about Joffrey's malevolence and getting her own direwolf killed.

Again, no. She didn't get her wolf killed. You need to read several chapters to figure out what actually happened at that point, including a Jaime POV in Feast. Cersei was out for blood and took advantage of the opportunity to get a wolf killed. Robert even admits that he was to weak to do anything aobut it in a later Ned chapter and realizes he was wrong. A wolf was going to die just as soon as Arya made the decision to attack Joffrey. There is nothing Sansa could have said or done that would have mattered.

-For being a weakling and a liability to her brother's war effort.

Well, this is a new one on me. How was she a liability to the war effort? Got any actual textual evidence to back up that statement? Robb was the liability to his war effort. He's the one that sent off Theon and decided to break his vow to the Freys by marrying Jeyne Westerling. He also refused the offer to exchange her for Jaime which was a stupid thing to do.

-Betraying her father, resulting in her capture, her father's death and Arya's abscondance

-Lying about Joffrey's malevolence and getting her own direwolf killed.

-For being a weakling and a liability to her brother's war effort.

Excuse me.

"For being a weakling and a liability to her brother's war effort?"

WOW.

What the HELL do you expect Sansa to do in her situation? She has NO allies, NO one to turn to, and EVERYONE around her is going to rat her out if she talks to them. You want her to grab a sword and kill her way out of King's Landing when she has NO arms training or way to do so? Ridiculous.

Lying about Joffrey's bad attitude during the wolf situation?

Sansa was dazed and in shock. When you're in that state of mind, and in turmoil over what to do, you can't make rational decisions. Cersei was going to kill the wolf no matter what. Had Sansa said anything against Joff, something WORSE might have happened as far as she knew.

Betraying her father?

Well, first of all, Ned told Cersei everything anyway. Sansa only got herself captured not Ned.

I like this idea, too.

Considering that every other vision that the Ghost of High Heart had alluded to someone's death — Balon, Catelyn, Robb and Grey Wind, Joffrey — it'd be weird if this one "just" referred to the snow castle and Robert Arryn's toy. It'd break the pattern. I also don't think it's a coincidence that Baelish's actual family sigil is the Braavosi titan.

The thing with the snow castle and the doll could be a feint of sorts, meant to lull readers into thinking that that did fulfill the vision until BAM. And prophecy or not, I 100% think that Sansa will be the one to engineer Littlefinger's fall, especially if/when she learns the role he played in her family's disaster and Jeyne Poole's treatment.

I like this idea, too.

Considering that every other vision that the Ghost of High Heart had alluded to someone's death — Balon, Catelyn, Robb and Grey Wind, Joffrey — it'd be weird if this one "just" referred to the snow castle and Robert Arryn's toy. It'd break the pattern.

Precisely. A prophecy about destruction of one literal snow castle would be akin to the ones of the Boring Prophet in "The Life of Brian".

There shall, in that time, be rumours of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi-- with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock...

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere between pages 3-8, but sweetrobin's doll disembowelment can be seen as foreshadow to aid the prophesy. Sansa's interest with nannying (ie mummery act) Sweetrobin breaks apart when he starts smashing her snow castle. So, as parallel, Sansa will put up with LF's scheming until he, in some way, sabotages (or coordinates sabotage) of Winterfell. A possible 'stage 2' of tWoW's Winterfell events, as the Battle of Ice will be in the book's stage 1.

I actually caught the prophesy/foreshadow of Sansa ripping up the 'titan' doll (it's only a couple chapters before where Petyr tells Alayne about the Baelish sigil), had to come hear to recall the HighHeart ghost.

I just want to add, I don't really think LF gave Sansa the full rundown on his plotting to gain the north. He probably gave a half-truth of it, he wants Sansa, but he's not going to sit and ask like a suitor, he's going to construct an environment where she'll not have a choice in the matter. And she will not act against him until he puts House Stark in further jeopardy. Also, he wants Sansa, but I can't imagine he plans to live at Winterfell. . . He despises the north. Idk, what do you think?

From Cercei's POV in Feast, I believe Sansa's confession informed Cercei of the specific ship Eddard intended to send the girls back north on. Cercei would have reacted regardless of Sansa's confession, but Sansa did give helpful intel unknowingly. I feel it's unfair to blame Sansa, considering her age and predicament. But here's the flip to that:

Sansa believes she is the only living Stark left. Like anyone who's lost family, she holds herself accountable, or at least feels a sense of shame/guilt. So going back to what started that debate, it's not about killing LF to provide redemption to appease the opinion of the reader (I sympathize, though I understand some condemn), but I do think Sansa may see it that way.

I just want to add, I don't really think LF gave Sansa the full rundown on his plotting to gain the north. He probably gave a half-truth of it, he wants Sansa, but he's not going to sit and ask like a suitor, he's going to construct an environment where she'll not have a choice in the matter. And she will not act against him until he puts House Stark in further jeopardy. Also, he wants Sansa, but I can't imagine he plans to live at Winterfell. . . He despises the north. Idk, what do you think?

I don't think he's plotting to gain the North at all, but you're spot on about him creating the environment where she'll have to choose him; how he goes about doing that with HtH is still a mystery. We do know he tells her that young girls are happier with older men, and presents Harry as a kind of shallow boy wonder who will make an easy conquest. I think this time into of Sansa being worried over House Stark, she'll switch those allegiances to Robert Arryn and try to protect the boy from LF. Right now there's not much she can do for Winterfell, and SR is in real danger.

As of where the series stands now I think a lot of people except Sansa to be Litterfingers downfall.

The more I think about this though the more unlikely I think this will actually happen. First GRRM throws a lot of curve balls. Most can see this coming and I doubt GRRM will make it come true.

Littlefinger is one of the best players in game. When it comes to Sansa her haters seem to think shes a complete fool while her supporters seem to think she is going to become some genius when it comes to playing the Game of Thrones. I think it will be somewhere in the middle. The reason Littlefinger is teaching her what he knows is so he can use her. He is going to play Sansa and manipulate her just like hes manipulated so many others. Sure he may be blinded by his attraction to Sansa but I seriously doubt Sansa will be able to play LF. LF has proven hes anything but stupid. He knows Sansa knows about what he did because of that scene with Lysa screaming pretty much all the bad shit that LF did in the first few books. He must know at some point that Sansa will seek revenge. I doubt he will let his guard down. This is LF after all. He's cautious, calculated, and cunning.

I think Sansa will become a competent player but I don't think she will take down LF. I very well may be completely wrong. It' hard to know what LF is thinking since he doesn't have a pov but as someone who has been able to outplay people with 10x the competence of Sansa I don't see him falling to her unless he lets his guard down due to his attraction for her. It wouldn't be the first time a man has been brought down by love of a woman.

Well she has to be LF's downfall. What else are we expecting of her to do? It's not like she can take a battle axe and go brigand. GRRM saved her for a reason. Up until now, she has been a weak, silly and helpless little child who bores me. If she has survived 5 books then she has a role to play. Hopefully, she's gonna become interesting. It's true for Dany as well, she will finally become less of a bore fighting the Others (though I'd hate her more than now cause I support the Others).

Unless she ends up doing something of more importance. I can't think what but it is a possibility. She could also be important for continuing the Starks line, if Rickon shall die (implausible IMO) as Bran's not coming back.

But then again, she has to be instrumental in LF's downfall.

As far as Sandor do, if he gets off the QI, how much work is this going to have to do? There are theories that he will meet her again.

Can he help save Sansa and fight Robert Strong too? Too much work and logistics?

Maybe Sansa will have to step it up and do something on her own and really she should be the one to have vengeance on LF.

Her snow castle scene in the Vale was the most authentic sense of serenity I've read in the series thus far. If Martin can keep that kind of energy about her chapters I don't need her going Cercei-scheming-player mode. If she does go against LF like suggested, I'm hoping not so much premeditated but compulsive. I don't think her character needs to become a scheming player to fulfill a character arc, there are other possibilities I'd imagine that are less imitation. I'd almost prefer her to remain the same than that alternative (Cercei 2.0).

• 3 months later...

Summarising Sansa I think she is like most characters quite flawed, but she has real hope of growth.

1. In the beginning she was a vain, spoiled, air head too much under her mother (and Septa Mordane's) influence of upper class bigotry.

2. Her attitude to Jon snow "the Bastard" was NOT nice nor compassionate.

3. She was obviously the family sneak as Jon and Arya chorus "don't tell Sansa"

4. She lied about who attacked Joffrey - an foolish act with terrible consequences. Even at 12 she should have known better

5. She dibber dobbed on her father directly causing his death - because SHE wanted to stay in KL - She behaved like many, many other spoiled 12 year old air heads, but it does not make her likeable.

6. She wrote that appalling letter - she should have had the brains to see she was being duped

7. She did NOT mention Arya - by contrast Arya was anxious Sansa did not drown.

8. She was easily manipulated by LF and Sir Dontos. By that time she should have been a bit more wary

9. She blabbed about marrying Willas Tyrell

10. She was TOO passive when abused by Joffrey - as a well brought up Lady she SHOULD have complained.

In that first 18 months or so of the story Sansa was a rather unattractive spoiled air head. However she did show the makings of a change during the seige when she lead the other women. She also showed the beginning of humanity when dealing with the Hound.

11. Her treatment of Tyrion on their marriage as not kind - Angry she had a right to be, but Tyrion had not been cruel to her and did not deserve to be humiliated.

12. Running away with Sir Dontos was also pretty daft though maybe wise in a way

Now from this point on Sansa is slowly starting to grow up

She has behaved with wisdom and compassion in the Eyrie, looking after Robin

She is learning of the reality of life

There is hope for Sansa. Mind you she will still be a lost soul until she gets another dire wolf. One of Nymeria's pups??

Petyr Baelish's House sigil is the Titan of Braavos - rather similar to a giant, no? And the Eyrie in winter could well be seen as "a castle made of snow".

I also think it might not be so Literal....I see him as a "Giant (player) in the game of thrones". Lets face he has created a wicked hand for himself.

There is hope for Sansa. Mind you she will still be a lost soul until she gets another dire wolf. One of Nymeria's pups??

Well, I disagree with some of what you've written here, including that she is a lost soul because her direwolf is dead. To me she remains as much of a Stark as ever - moreso, perhaps, than Arya, who is becoming "no one". With Robb dead, I actually think Sansa is one of the last hopes for House Stark. How this will work out, I don't know. It is a lot to pin on anyone. I think I recall a scene from AFFC or ASOS where the wind sounded like wolves to her - someone tell me if I'm making this up. Sansa still remembers who she is even while she is under Littlefinger's influence, and I think that's very important.

I do think it would be great if she could get another direwolf. But truly happy things seem to be few and far in between in this series.

Archived