Diana Rigg cast as Olenna Tyrell

Black Jack Bulwer

Popular fan casting suggested Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and Eileen Atkins. The link between them? They'll all Dames (the female equivalent of a Knighthood). Interestingly, Diana Rigg is also a Dame! I'm so pleased the GOT crew recognised the importance of having someone of top quality for this role.

It's a piece of genius casting imho. Maggie Smith or Judy Dench were the "obvious" choices for want of a better word. Diana Rigg has the same credentials as those divine ladies of British theatre but she's a whole damn other load of sexy (even at her current age) which I think is absolutely what's needed for the Queen of Thorns.

Glad Diana Rigg got the part. She is a great actress and perfect for this role! Maggie Smith and Judy Dench would be good for Lady Olenna also, but I feel like they have played such large roles in recent big name films, and that would sort of take away the greatness of the Queen of Thorns.

Ran does not possess greensight!

I've known about the casting for over a month at this point, but... HBO worked hard to try and keep it secret, figured I could cloud the issue a little in the run-up. ;)

We who wanted Maggie Smith are little bit disappointed that she hasn`t been cast, but Diana Rigg will have our support, right guys?

I wanted Maggie Smith, but I'm thrilled with this casting!!!

Has anyone read Gone with the Wind?

The Queen of Thorns reminds me exactly of Grandma Fontaine.

That is just how I picture her. Frail of body not in mind. Sharp, sharp, sharp, acid tongue...Survival is paramount above all. And laugh out loud funny in their I don't give a crap what you think, I will do and say as I please.

Diana seems too elegant for how I pictured Olenna, but the show is always another facet of the books and it should be fun.

Wonderful, legendary actress, but I am not sure she is right for the role.

Archived