How come Tyrion doesnt have any bastards?

KingHodor

The story just doesn't need them. Simple as that. Or maybe they just don't know. The child doesn't have to be a dwarf.

But yeah if the Sailor's Wife indeed turns out to be Tysha and Lanna is their daughter then it will be kind of hard to believe he didn't father any other kids.

Actually, they seem to have a fairly good idea of natural birth control methods in this series and I am assuming that women in the business of pleasure are more careful than most. Robert fathered many bastards, but we are only told of one (I think) on a whore (who was young and completely enamored with the king). Most of Robert's get seem to be on peasant or serving women (who may not have as much access to the teas or not as much knowledge of natural birth control methods since it isn't their job.) And considering it is their job, they might be extra careful not to have any children whether Tyrion's or not.

We don't know that he doesn't. But quite a while back I remember someone writing that "the sales of moon tea triple when Tyrion comes to town." That's as good a backstory as any. You could also imagine that the promiscuous Tyrion caught an STD that rendered him sterile, or that he's got lazy swimmers, or any other dang thing.

Didn't Tywin ask Tyrion if he could father children? He didn't sound that opposed to the idea -- the Lannisters do take care of their bastards, like Joy. Another Lannister bastard wound up on the wall, though.

The story just doesn't need them. Simple as that.

I think that is the correct answer. I believe Tyrion might have some children around, but he does not know og them himself. He is not interested in his prostitutes after he is done with them, apparently, so he does not think about going searching for them to see if they have anyting to tell him about.

On a side note concerning genetics: how did it come about that Tyrion was a dwarf in the first place? Was there any history of growth/hormonal disorder in the Lannister family? Was Joanna approaching menopause? Something recessive from way beyond living memory? Random chance? Author's whim? Why is this man a dwarf?

Catelyn mentions it wouldn't surprise her to learn Edmure has a dozen bastards, but they're never mentioned, not even in the Appendix. Perhaps Tyrion does have bastards, they're just not relevant to the story. We have three characters named Snow (Jon, Ramsay, Larence), but I doubt the Northern Lords all have only three bastards between them.

Why should moon tea not be easily accessible for most women? I guess women, prostitutes or not, did not have to rely on Maesters to get it, there were like in our medieval times wise women and healers who prepared the stuff and sold it. Women probably had their network and they had to rely on the quality of the product. It had to work without having dangerous side effects.

It was only during the Inquisition that the patriarchial system, represented by the Church, got at least partially successful in controlling female reproduction by outlawing "witches".

Only I think that innocent, well protected young noble girls had some difficulties to get hold on moon tea since it would have arisen suspicion if they had contacted the village midwife. So maybe they had to go to maesters, thus unveiling their sinful activities.

And I guess that the more expensive prostitutes Tyrion had sex with were very experienced in using contraceptives, it was part of their job qualification.

I think the correct answer has already been hit upon. The women he has sexual intercourse with would be extra cautious in his particular case when it comes to making sure they drank moon tea after having sex with him.

The thing about whores is that they are whores and sleep with many men. Robert sired so many bastards because what woman wouldn't want to screw a king? Womans love kings. Tyrion, on the other hand, is an imp, and only bastards like imps. I'm sure working girls get schooled on moon tea first thing and use it regularly. Also, being so ugly, besides Tysha, Tyrion has dealt exclusively with whores. Robert likely just grabbed any wench with tits, regardless of whether or not they were whores, so they may not have had knowledge of, or access to moon tea. I believe it was stated that the mothers of Robert's bastards were sent yearly (?) High compensation for raising the child. Likely enough to be well enough off, and reasoning to keep the child. Another thing I'd like to point out is how scrutinous Tyrion is with whores. He lays out rules for them. I assume he'd make contraception a stipulation of his exchanges since he doesn't seem to want bastarda of his own.

Tldr:

Whore: "my giant of a Lannister, for you, only 50 golden dragons"

Tyrion: "okay but that includes anal and moon tea"

Robert: "Ayyyoooo King Robert's up in this whore hizzzzouse" (grabs girl)

Girl: "wait! This is just an inn and I'm just a serving wench"

Robert:" Your king commands you"

Girl: ...preggers

The thing about whores is that they are whores and sleep with many men. Robert sired so many bastards because what woman wouldn't want to screw a king? Womans love kings. Tyrion, on the other hand, is an imp, and only bastards like imps. I'm sure working girls get schooled on moon tea first thing and use it regularly. Also, being so ugly, besides Tysha, Tyrion has dealt exclusively with whores. Robert likely just grabbed any wench with tits, regardless of whether or not they were whores, so they may not have had knowledge of, or access to moon tea. I believe it was stated that the mothers of Robert's bastards were sent yearly (?) High compensation for raising the child. Likely enough to be well enough off, and reasoning to keep the child. Another thing I'd like to point out is how scrutinous Tyrion is with whores. He lays out rules for them. I assume he'd make contraception a stipulation of his exchanges since he doesn't seem to want bastarda of his own.

Tldr:

Whore: "my giant of a Lannister, for you, only 50 golden dragons"

Tyrion: "okay but that includes anal and moon tea"

Robert: "Ayyyoooo King Robert's up in this whore hizzzzouse" (grabs girl)

Girl: "wait! This is just an inn and I'm just a serving wench"

Robert:" Your king commands you"

Girl: ...preggers

I'm not a doctor, but wouldn't anal AND moontea be a little redundant?

"Back in my day we didn't have all these fancy methods of birth control that you kids have now, like pulling out."

I think that's from Dirty Work, the movie with Norm Mcdonald and Artie Lang.

And Tyrion is a major stoner so is boys have got no work ethic.

God, I love Artie and Norm, and Dirty Work is so excellent and so underrated. Cannot get enough quotes from the movie, Artie, and Norm.

I agree with the above, I doubt working girls are cataloging the features of every man they've been with just in case they forget their moon tea.

Achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a spontaneous mutation approx. 75% of the time. It's a dominant condition, meaning that any offspring of Tyrion's would have a 50% chance of also being a dwarf.

So if he has a bastard, it might look like Cersei or Jamie and the prostitute would never put two and two together.

1. Whores are good at not having babies.

2. Unlike Ned, most nobles to do not support their bastards( so why would a whore bring one to him?)

3. If the Sailor wife is Tyasha, then Lanna might be his, but I think its his uncle Gerion's child(he was a sailor)

4. I think 50% is way north for that method of birth control, mayhaps 20%.

Archived