Has Martin ever remarked about Dany?

total1402

She has others sources of info on Westeros. Jorah and Barristan, for example. But she doesn't listen when she doesn't want to, have you noticed that? She believes blindly what Viserys told her about Westeros... She realizes that he was psychotic, that he was no King, that he was a deluded fool... But when it comes to Westeros, no, that's cool, he's like, totally reliable. She's willing to hear flattery, not criticism.

Two other things:

1 - 163 summary executions. No trial. She said "give me 163 of you" and that was it. If she landed North and asked, say, Roose Bolton for the guilty for the destruction and he pointed at the Night's Watch...

2 - You can't laser guide Dragonfire. She intends to ride dragons. Those things are called Weapons of Mass Destruction for show, you know? You can't decide who will burn. You can just burn.

I'm going to have to check the boards, but i've always assumed Aerys started the fire at Duskendale in order to remove the king and his heir in one shot. Kinslayers are cursed, which he definitely was (even the throne itself rejected him). Anyways, this keeps me wondering just how much of the crazy Dany got. She seems more like Viserys and Aerys than Rhaegar.

Not only that, but she's going to be attacking castles and villages where innocents are hiding in order to draw out the Lords. She won't know which tower in KL that her targets will be hiding in.

If she plans on using the dragons for leverage, who is she going to attack? She'll attack wherever the king and his regent are of course. She will have no way of controlling whether children like Tommen (or others nearby) live or die. The dragon's fire won't discriminate.

Not only that, but she's going to be attacking castles and villages where innocents are hiding in order to draw out the Lords. She won't know which tower in KL that her targets will be hiding in.

If she plans on using the dragons for leverage, who is she going to attack? She'll attack wherever the king and his regent are of course. She will have no way of controlling whether children like Tommen (or others nearby) live or die. The dragon's fire won't discriminate.

So you're ready to start convicting her for crimes she hasn't even committed yet?

So you're ready to start convicting her for crimes she hasn't even committed yet?

^^^

As many of you know, I'm not a Dany fan. But the more I read some of the arguments used against her, the more I lean towards becoming one.

In case it wasn't clear, I was agreeing with Faint's point.

I'll say this: if current trends on this board continue for another eight months or so, I think Daenerys will overtake Catelyn and Sansa as the most unfairly maligned character in the series.

I'm going to have to check the boards, but i've always assumed Aerys started the fire at Duskendale in order to remove the king and his heir in one shot. Kinslayers are cursed, which he definitely was (even the throne itself rejected him). Anyways, this keeps me wondering just how much of the crazy Dany got. She seems more like Viserys and Aerys than Rhaegar.

I'm sorry but I'm confused. What fire did Aerys start at Duskendale? I don't recall that... And what king and son would Aerys be trying to remove in one shot if Aerys was the king?

None of what you said makes any sense to me. I may be misremembering. Care to explain?

I'm sorry but I'm confused. What fire did Aerys start at Duskendale? I don't recall that... And what king and son would Aerys be trying to remove in one shot if Aerys was the king?

None of what you said makes any sense to me. I may be misremembering. Care to explain?

They're getting Summerhall confused with Duskendale. They think Aerys had something to do with Summerhall, which killed Aegon V and Duncan and made Jaehaerys II and thus Aerys II king.

I disagree with that, but I think that's what they were arguing.

Im sorry, I dont know why I typed Duskendale, it was probably on my mind from the earlier conversation. I meant Summerhall.

The tragedy of Summerhall that killed Aegon V and Duncan, leading to Aerys becoming king after Jahaerys's very brief reign.

http://awoiaf.wester....php/Summerhall

It's really not important to the conversation, it was just on my mind earlier and I thought I'd see how many threads had been started on it :D

True, there isn't much need to speculate about future crimes when there are plenty of crimes and/or atrocities in her past.

What some people were saying upthread about Martin's opinions being "creepy" reminds me of what I thought when reading Anne Bishop's Black Jewels books, is this woman living out some kind of sick fantasy in her writing?

Eh, if some crazy lady showed up in my lands mounted in weapons of mass destruction stating that "she was going to taker what's her with fire and blood", and with an history of burning people and destroying civilizations behind her, I'd put her down quickly, yes. It's putative self-defense.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. It's not putative. It's self-defense. "I'll take what's mine with fire and blood" it's a pretty clear declaration of war. When one's mounted on dragons, it's an alarm bell calling for the black ops to off the offending party.

Eh, if some crazy lady showed up in my lands mounted in weapons of mass destruction stating that "she was going to taker what's her with fire and blood", and with an history of burning people and destroying civilizations behind her, I'd put her down quickly, yes. It's putative self-defense.

Or, you can try kneeling. It likely will prove more effectual.

Maybe some people would rather fight and die than bend over and take it from an egotistical brat. Shocking, right?

If Dany goes before anyone in westeros and asks them to bend the knee and they refuse she will burn them. I do not see Dany acting any other way. She will also kill Aegon.

Even if all the Starks die, I hope they give Dany hell instead of bending the knee. That would suck

If Dany goes before anyone in westeros and asks them to bend the knee and they refuse she will burn them. I do not see Dany acting any other way. She will also kill Aegon.

Even if all the Starks die, I hope they give Dany hell instead of bending the knee. That would suck

I'd have more respect for them if they spat in her face and burned than if they knelt to save their skins and lived under her manicured thumb. But that's me. I don't believe in submitting to bullies.

Can't all of you just congregate here and get it all out already?

What about anything we say is unreasonable? You probably think the Spartans should've given Xerxes his dirt and water, too.

Did it ever occur to you that we have good reasons to dislike her?

Can't all of you just congregate here and get it all out already?

This isn't about hating Dany; it's about wondering why people continue to support her with the kinds of awful things she's done. She gets a pass on some of the worst atrocities in the books. There are many here who support her rekindling the War of the Five Kings just so that she rule Westeros, despite never having seen any meaningful part of it. It just doesn't make sense.

This isn't about hating Dany; it's about wondering why people continue to support her with the kinds of awful things she's done. She gets a pass on some of the worst atrocities in the books. There are many here who support her rekindling the War of the Five Kings just so that she rule Westeros, despite never having seen any meaningful part of it. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm out of likes, but this, exactly. How is calling Dany out for torture and crucifixion and sacking and burning people alive flaming or somehow unfair? I don't understand it.

And for all the accusations that people who dislike her must be sexist, I have to think that if she were a guy doing what she's been doing, there'd be a lot less excuses being made.

Archived