The Wonders Of Being A Woman In The World Of ASOIAF

RhaenysBee

Nothing? If you are a highborn it's expected of you to be married with a Lord mostly against your wish and produce sons and that's all. Dorne is an exception to this and Brienne too.

If you are a peasant nothing changes you have to work, marry and have children.

Handmaids (if you are high born)... what I wouldn't give to not have to fight with my hair every morning! lol. :)

Also, there are multiple families that seem to accept the women stepping out of contrived gender roles (the Mormonts for one and Starks to an extent another). There are more who disagree (like Lannisters and Tarlys) but that is to be expected too.

Nothing? If you are a highborn it's expected of you to be married with a Lord mostly against your wish and produce sons and that's all. Dorne is an exception to this and Brienne too.

If you are a peasant nothing changes you have to work, marry and have children.

Yeah, well, the thread is about what's good. That means what's not bad. That means things that are good. You just listed things you consider bad here.

Well, you are right at some point. Life sucks today too. You work, don't get married, have an abortion. You work more. You cohabit. You break up. You work. You cohabit. You break up. You work. You turn 35. You start to worry about bio-clock. You work. You find a partner. You get pregnant. You have a kid. You get married (or not). You work. You turn forty. You work. You raise the kid. You work. You retire. Your kid graduates. S/he starts working. Life is so MUCH FUN.

Be positive, for heaven's sake.

I think we might have a different perspective if 99% of what we saw in this books didn't involve 7 kingdoms involved in intense warfare and political turmoil. Even in AGOT, the die had pretty much been cast. Ned went South because of Littlefinger's lie about Jon Arryn, which was designed to set the ball rolling toward war. Stannis had already fled King Landing for Dragonstone and was presumably gathering the fleet we saw in ACOK. Jon Arryn had been gathering evidence against the Lannisters, working with Stannis.

This society would still be different than our own, and there would still be many problems, but I think we get a somewhat distorted picture since so much of what we see is shaped by the war.

I never understood why it was seen as a women opprssion to have an arranged marriage, last time I checked Ned, Robb, Edmure and even Tyrion did not have a choice either, the one I list got lucky with their wifes but can't wait to witness the reaction of the happy man who will marry Shireen...just saying (and if someone can explain it to me because I REALLY don't understand, I mean we know that woman aren't the only ones who would like to marry someone they love)

On topic now, as a woman you :

-don't have to prove yourself by killing someone

-don't have to risk your life on the battlefield (you also have less risks to lose an arm, a leg, being crippled, being showered in sweet boiloing oil)

-have real power (queen/highborn lady's men, guard, soldier) by basically doing nothing but stood there

-as a smallfolk, nobody will come one day and say "whoah, you are able to stand on your feet, come at war, you will be our trump card"

-you have more chance to getting raped instead of killed (I like to look at the "bright" side, being traumatised for life is still better than being dead no ?)

-if a one night shot leaves you pregnant and you are lucky enough to be a sociopath, you can sell your child (I don't know hom many it's worth but I would say at least one chicken, chicken make eggs, eggs are good)

-apparently, every Knight or gentleman wanna-be will do everything for you, so you can manipulate people (wall men mostly)

-if you are a red priest you can make shadow babies wich is pretty cool

that's all I can think of yet

Archived