Massive Comic-Con Casting Reveals

Westeros

It's true for Mace certainly but what Marge really thinks about it all is more mysterious.

i don't know how power hungry marg is, but today i came upon this line by LF,

Margaery will marry Tommen. She'll keep her queenly crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she particularly wants, but what does that matter?

so her real thoughts and motivations aren't fully revealed just yet as you said

Edit: oh and i love everyone who has been cast so far for S3. they look perfect. thoros surprised me but i am not complaining one bit, and the reeds were perfect. missandei is so pretty and beric and the blackfish handsome... so the other main characters that are left to be cast are vargo, mance, daario, ramsay, and maybe oberyn??

No, not really:

"It's treason, I warned them, Robert has two sons, and Renly has an older brother, how can he possibly have any claim to that ugly iron chair? Tut-tut, says my son, don't you want your sweetling to be queen? You Starks were kings once, the Arryns and the Lannisters as well, and even the Baratheons through the female line, but the Tyrells were no more than stewards until Aegon the Dragon came along and cooked the rightful King of the Reach on the Field of Fire. If truth be told, even our claim to Highgarden is a bit dodgy, just as those dreadful Florents are always whining. 'What does it matter?' you ask, and of course it doesn't, except to oafs like my son. The thought that one day he may see his grandson with his arse on the Iron Throne makes Mace puff up like ... now, what do you call it? Margaery, you're clever, be a dear and tell your poor old half-daft grandmother the name of that queer fish from the Summer Isles that puffs up to ten times its own size when you poke it."

"They call them puff fish, Grandmother."

"Of course they do. Summer Islanders have no imagination. My son ought to take the puff fish for his sigil, if truth be told. He could put a crown on it, the way the Baratheons do their stag, mayhap that would make him happy. We should have stayed well out of all this bloody foolishness if you ask me, but once the cow's been milked there's no squirting the cream back up her udder."

Olenna was opposed to the marriage to Renly, opposed to "all this bloody foolishness", but as Mace persisted, she now has to do what she can to make sure it doesn't destroy the family or harm Margaery. So she works to get rid of Joffrey, for example.

As to Margaery, Littlefinger's opinion of her -- apparently drawn from his use of spies at court -- is this:

"She'll keep her queenly crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants..."

We've no real evidence that Margaery really does want the crown. Yes, she goes up against Cersei a little bit, but in large part that seems to be n an effort to make the best space for herself that she can, to be in a position where Cersei can't domineer her, rather than because she really wants to run everything.

We've no real evidence that Margaery really does want the crown. Yes, she goes up against Cersei a little bit, but in large part that seems to be n an effort to make the best space for herself that she can, to be in a position where Cersei can't domineer her, rather than because she really wants to run everything.

Well... that's the novels.

My impression is that David Benioff and D. B. Weiss , have set into motion a more Machiavellian conflict of House Lannister and House Tyrell for the HBO show.

Such power playing makes for good drama.

George has introduced an element of it in the novels, but by my reading... has kind of has soft balled it.

Way things are going in the visual drama D and D seem to want to put sharp edge on it, which is fine with me.

Funny in the episode 10 'extra' Benioff points out that Westeros is in dire peril from the jaws of the forces beyond the Wall and the forces in East.

Yet KL seems to remain oblivious to it, Varys seems aware of it, but I am hard put to think of anyone else in KL who is.

Tho as we follow Tyrion , it seems to start to be dawning on him.

George has set this up over five novels, but that major plot pivot has developed as slow a molasses, one wonders if Benioff and Weiss are going to speed things up?

boojam,

I was responding to this:

I thought it was pretty clear in the books that Mace and Margaery were quite power hungry and wanted her to be "THE Queen." Maybe that's just my opinion though...

So not a surprise I'm talking about the novels, is it?

boojam,

I was responding to this:

So not a surprise I'm talking about the novels, is it?

Yes you are right.

But I was responding to this:

"We've no real evidence that Margaery really does want the crown. Yes, she goes up against Cersei a little bit, but in large part that seems to be an an effort to make the best space for herself that she can, to be in a position where Cersei can't domineer her, rather than because she really wants to run everything."

As I remember the books this is also a correct statement.

It's my speculation that David Benioff and D. B. Weiss cast Natalie Dormer because they want her to go head to head with Cersei in the show when it comes to power playing, and , I think that would differ from the novels.

Like I said the more Machiavellian things get the better I like it ... and I , for one, think it only enhances the dramatic narrative.

I like Dormer and don't give a flying hoot if she is 30, she looks younger than that anyway.

Tho , this change, .... it's just a guess on my part.

He confirmed it? Hm, I watched the whole panel, and I don't think I heard him say that, he only asked if he was going to return, and Alfie said he wasn't approached yet. So I don't know where on WiC.net you got that from, as I saw nothing on there about this.

This is making me wonder if they indeed will revisit Theon, but not until the end(ish) of the season. Seems like they might concentrate on other character threads and not on Theon's storyline. If he is seen toward the end, there'd be no need to cast Ramsay yet. If Alfie himself hasn't heard anything, and hasn't started filming in any way, it may appear like his character will be brought in towards the end and the Winterfell story will take place in Season 4.

The kid playing Jojen looks exactly like I pictured him when I read the books.

It scared the crap out of me when I saw the cast photos. It was like seeing someone familiar. Meera too. Pretty much happy with everyone.

Archived