Interesting lines on the re-read? (hindsight)

winterbird

Hi everyone. This isn't foreboding in an entirely dark way, actually more of one of the lighter side of things, which I love especially in regards to the shift in a character who you initially dislike, but another side of them pops up and your opinion of them starts to change. I'm currently in my re-read through of aSoS and the Jaime chapter where you start seeing the shift in his character regarding Brienne:

“Pretty eyes, he thought, and calm. He knew how to read a man’s eyes. He knew what fear looked like. She is determined, not desperate.”

He starts developing respect for her and that is a new aspect of his character that he previously seemed incapable of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize this page is done, but I recently was rereading got and I can't remember it being mentioned on this page. However, in the Sansa chapter on the kingsroad (where Joff gets attacked), Sansa stumbles backwards and someone strong grabs her, she thinks it is her father until she turns around. She then finds out it was Sandor and, although she thinks he is disgusting, her first thought was that she is safe with him.

I found that to be telling of the future Sansa-Sandor emotional bond.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
ACoK Tyrion chapter, when talking describing Littlefinger's accomplishments just before he asks him to get Lysa Arryn's support:

"He brought wool from the north and linen from the south and lace from Lys....."

A great play on words and hinting of Petyr and Lysa's poisoning Jon Arryn.

• 7 months later...

From AGOT:

"Not my mother, Jon thought stubbornly. He knew nothing of his mother; Eddard Stark would not talk of her. Yet he dreamed of her at times, so often that he could almost see her face. In his dreams, she was beautiful, and highborn, and her eyes were kind."

I felt like GRRM laughed when he wrote that.

From ASOS:

"Arya spotted a yellow tent with six acorns on its panels, three over two over one. Lord Smallwood, she knew, remembering Acorn Hall so far away, and the lady who'd said she was pretty."

I thought that was cute. I remember Lady Smallwood gave the BwB shelter, baths, and food, and a distinctive dress for Arya yet it was her calling Arya pretty that Arya recalled.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/03/2014 at 10:49 AM, Ürglõvi said:

This exchange in Feast

That passage gives me shivers and at first read I couldn't understand why. Then I remembered Bran in the first book "I never fall"... Now I'm worried about Mya. :(

sp

Yeah poor Mya and poor little white one of her favorite mule, now I think there will be nobody to catch her..

But as I read you quote I seen something deep into this, not that I belive what i'm about to say, I still think she's Robert's bastard because of all the talking between him and Ned, but if you read just a part this is quote it is way too more shivering:  

"A mountain is not a man, though, and a stone is a mountain's daughter. "

Doesn't it look like the Mountain is her father or another Stone bastard's father, and plus, about the first part, several times the Mountain was described as not being a man, but a monster, and now if he is UnGregor he is a monster for real and not more a man, and what was the name Qyburn choosed to him? Robert Strong. -Robert was a strong man (I just laughed alone now because it remebered me when Aemond did mocked at his half-brothers saying they were so strong, because they were clearly bastards of a knight of house Strong). Why if Cersei hated Robert Baratheon, does Qyburn named Ungregor like that? He is a master of whispers so stupid to think she would like that? Or he is just mocking at her by giving a Robert as a savior to her. And why Strong? Because of Larys "Clubfoot" Strong who was master of whisperers back at the dance of dragons? Larys is quite similar to Varys, did Varys just choosed this name because they're similar or it's just a coincidence another master of whisperers is somehow releated to Larys Strong? 

Sorry I did get out of the line, but some of this questions always were on my head and when I saw that line I tought that was another link of a chain, even if the Mountain has nothing to do with Mya in reality... Just a crazy line of thougts I did had to share now because all of this seems to be related somehow, but stills a complete mistery to me.

• 3 months later...

First time I enter the re-read section...

during the first reading, I got only the main things:

- I got Jon wasn't Ned's son (but I thought he was Robert's bastard, thinking out of his love for Robert he agreed to pretend it was his, I didn't get it was Lyanna's... then when we got to know that Robert didn't care of hiding his bastards at all, I just thought 'I don't know who the mother is')

- the famous Arya/Needle quote; the various king/queen references, etc.

- the Tyrion / gargoyle analogy and the related quotes

- the passage where Daenerys places the dragon eggs in specific positions near Drogo's body, as foreshadowing of the 3 heads of the dragon (which I don't think I've seen mentioned and it's quite important imo (in case you're interested y can read my opinion here)

etc.

then re-reading, wow there are SO many things!

Besides the ones I share with you (Lady Stoneheart, etc.) and the ones you've brilliantly pointed out, I would add (first ones coming to my mind, but surely not the only ones):

- "hoooodor, said Hodor, swaying. Hoooooodor, Hooooodor, hoDOR, hoDOR, hoDOR. Sometimes he liked to do this, just saying his name different ways, over and over and hover" (A storm of swords). => Hold the Door

- "I cannot die when Cersei lives - he told himself - We will die together as we were born together" (A storm of swords)  => Jamie dying or committing suicide when he kills Cersei

- "Mance ... he had a passion for wilding music. And for their women as well (...). Why did he desert? For a wench, some day. For a crown, others would have it. .... Mance was the same, he never learned how to obey. <No more than me>, Jon said quietly" (A clash of kings) => Jon / Mance parallelism => Jon leaving the NW - technically a deserter: the vow is for life only because people are supposed to have just one life - after his resurrection to become King in the North.

- "when Sansa had first beheld the Great Sept with its marble walls and seven crystal towers, she'd thought it was the most beautiful building in the world, but that had been before Jeoffrey beheaded her father on its steps. <I want it burned>. <Hush child, the gods will hear you>. <why should they? they never hear my prayers>. <yes they do>." (A clash of Kings) => the Great Sept burning;

- "Cersei was waiting for him. She would have need of him. And Tyrion, his little brother, who loved him for a lie." => Jamie confessing the truth about his lie and Tysha after Jeoffrey's murder.

- Tyrion only wished he could as easily make city walls twice as tall and three times as thick. Though perhaps it did not matter. Massive walls and tall towers had not saved Storm's End, nor Harrenhal, nor even Winterfell. He remembered Winterfell as he had last seen it. Not as grotesquely huge as Harrenhal, nor as solid and impregnable to look at as Storm's End, yet there had been a great strength in those stones, a sense that within those walls a man might feel safe. The news of the castle's fall had come as a wrenching shock. <The gods give with one hand and take with the other," he muttered under his breath when Varys told him. They had given the Starks Harrenhal and taken Winterfell, a dismal exchange> (A Clash of Kings) + "No doubt he should be rejoicing. Robb Stark would have to turn north now. If he could not defend his own home and hearth, he was no sort of king at all. It meant reprieve for the west, for House Lannister, and yet . . Tyrion had only the vaguest memory of Theon Greyjoy from his time with the Starks. A callow youth, always smiling, skilled with a bow; it was hard to imagine him as Lord of Winterfell. The Lord of Winterfell would always be a Stark. He remembered their godswood; the tall sentinels armored in their grey-green needles, the great oaks, the hawthorn and ash and soldier pines, and at the center the heart tree standing like some pale giant frozen in time. He could almost smell the place, earthy and brooding, the smell of centuries, and he remembered how dark the wood had been even by day. That wood was Winterfell. It was the north. I never felt so out of place as I did when I walked there, so much an unwelcome intruder. He wondered if the Greyjoys would feel it too. The castle might well be theirs, but never that godswood. Not in a year, or ten, or fifty. Tyrion annister walked his horse slowly toward the Mud Gate. Winterfell is nothing to you, he reminded himself. Be glad the place has fallen, and look to your own walls" (A clash of Kings) => another hint (you just mentioned others, then there is the wholeTyrion / gargoyle at Winterfell thing, etc.) about Tyrion possibly aligining himself with the Starks;

- Tyrion in the Library Tower hearing the wolves howling: "something about the howling of a wolf took a man right out of his here and now and left him in a dark forest of the mind, running naked before the pack" (A Game of Thrones); is this foreshadowing that Tyrion will be that hunted man, he will be hunted by Nymeria and possibly die (see next point), or is this passage implying that Tyrion, consciously or unconsciously, feels the whole Bran/Arya/Jon 'warging' thing? Or is it just anticipating the whole warging phenomenon and it's in Tyrion chapter because he's the character the reader experiences the whole story through, especially in the first books? 

- sadly for me (Tyrion is my fave character), I can't shake from my head (I thought that since I first read it) the idea this is foreshadowing of something bad (Tyrion losing it and going full dark and/or dying after it or something else, still tragic):  "So many dead, so very many. Their corpses hung limply, their faces slack or stiff or swollen with gas, unrecognizable, hardly human. The garments the sisters took from them were decorated with black hearts, grey lions, dead flowers, and pale ghostly stags. Their armor was all dented and gashed, the chainmail riven, broken, slashed. Why did I kill them all? He had known once, but somehow he had forgotten. He would have asked one of the silent sisters, but when he tried to speak he found he had no mouth. Smooth seamless skin covered his teeth. The discovery terrified him. How could he live without a mouth? He began to run. The city was not far. He would be safe inside the city, away from all these dead. He did not belong with the dead.
He had no mouth, but he was still a living man. No, a lion, a lion, and alive. But when he reached the city walls, the gates were shut against him".  + "Ravens soared through a grey sky on wide, black wings, while carrion crows rose from their feasts in furious clouds wherever he set his steps. White maggots burrowed through black corruption. The wolves were grey, and so were the silent sisters; together they stripped the flesh from the fallen."I don't know exactly how to interpret that passage (I have read people debating various theories, from grayscale to Tyrion feeling remorse after taking his revenge, Tyrion feeling remorse after betraying Daenerys, Tyrion after his revenge/betrayal hunted and about to die, Arya as Nymeria killing running naked Tyrion and so on), I just have a bad feeling about it (please, do PROVE ME WRONG on this one - sniffff ).

Archived