A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

The assumption would be that he read something that led him to believe he himself was AA or TPTWP, yes.

Or (maybe too far-fetched, I don;t know) he read and figured that his son would be AA reborn, and maybe wanted to become a warrior to train his son, or maybe the prophecy was that AAreborn will be the son of a warrior prince. Also, maybe he read that he should have that son with Lyanna Stark, so that's why he named her queen of the love and beauty, and later abducted her. So R+L's son could have the Song of Ice and Fire - Targ+Stark?

I have a question about Aegon/Young Griff. I've seen multiple posts throughout this forum about people saying he isn't really Rhaegar's son, that he is a fake. Is there something specific that hints to this in the books? I've tried to look around the forums to find what the reasoning is and can't seem to find it. Can someone tell me why it is believed that he is not Aegon, or point me in the right direction to where I can find out? Thanks!

Or (maybe too far-fetched, I don;t know) he read and figured that his son would be AA reborn, and maybe wanted to become a warrior to train his son, or maybe the prophecy was that AAreborn will be the son of a warrior prince.

According to Aemon, Rhaegar initially believed that he was the PWWP, and only came to believe that the PWWP was actually Aegon when he saw a red comet on the night of his conception.

Does the "song of ice and fire" motif come only from Dany's vision of Rhaegar/Aegon in the House of the Undying, or is it mentioned elsewhere? I just re-read the Azor Ahai prophecy and didn't see it there.

As far as I recall, the "song of ice and fire" has only been mentioned in the vision of Rhaegar.

According to Aemon, Rhaegar initially believed that he was the PWWP, and only came to believe that the PWWP was actually Aegon when he saw a red comet on the night of his conception.

Thanks, that explains it. Also, I want to ask if and how are we sure that the HotU vision shows Rhaegar, Elia and Aegon, but not Rhaegar, Lyanna, and (supposedly) Jon?

Thanks, that explains it. Also, I want to ask if and how are we sure that the HotU vision shows Rhaegar, Elia and Aegon, but not Rhaegar, Lyanna, and (supposedly) Jon?

GRRM apparently confirmed it, though I've never seen the interview in which he did. Outside of that, we can figure out who the people in the vision are supposed to be based on a few simple facts:

1) Rhaegar names the child Aegon. We can be pretty sure the baby is therefore his son, Aegon, and that the woman is the child's mother, Elia. The only way the child could be Jon is if he decided for some reason to have two sons named Aegon, which really doesn't make any sense.

2) Rhaegar says the child will be king. More confirmation that the child is his firstborn son.

3) Lastly, Rhaegar was dead by the time Jon was born, making it impossible for him to be present for Jon's birth.

GRRM confirmed it in an interview.

GRRM apparently confirmed it, though I've never seen the interview in which he did. Outside of that, we can figure out who the people in the vision are supposed to be based on a few simple facts:

1) Rhaegar names the child Aegon. We can be pretty sure the baby is therefore his son, Aegon, and that the woman is the child's mother, Elia. The only way the child could be Jon is if he decided for some reason to have two sons named Aegon, which really doesn't make any sense.

2) Rhaegar says the child will be king. More confirmation that the child is his firstborn son.

3) Lastly, Rhaegar was dead by the time Jon was born, making it impossible for him to be present for Jon's birth.

Of course, so many so obvious things. Stupid me.

A man wonders…

1 If the horn Victorian has is what binds Dragons to the will of men and if the horn was found in Valeria then how did the Targs control their dragons without it?

2 In other mythology dragons are symbols of both power and wisdom. These dragons seem to be beasts only. Will they emerge with some intellect?

3 Did the Iron Bank kill Joff via a FM?

4 Did Beric go willingly unto the true death because he had become such a patchwork and Cat was chosen to be the undead, pack leader? or was he simply beyond repair after some fight?

5 Is sand silk linen? Or is it sand-washed silk?

6 Many if not all Brovosi are willing to aid the Temple of Black and White. Are Brusco et al. in debt to the FM, in fear, in awe, some of each?

The Tyrells killed Joff, with help from Littlefinger. They may have had different ideas about how the aftermath would play out though. Littlefinger clearly planned to frame Tyrion, and probably Sansa. The Tyrells may simply have thought it would look like a death from choking.

Beric seemed to have been trying to fulfill his promise to Arya - he swore that he would return her to her mother. By giving his life for Cat's, he made that possible. Also, he was clearly tired of being undead, poor guy.

3 - The Tyrells killed Joff, with help from Littlefinger. They may have had different ideas about how the aftermath would play out though. Littlefinger clearly planned to frame Tyrion, and probably Sansa. The Tyrells may simply have thought it would look like a death from choking.

4 - Beric seemed to have been trying to fulfill his promise to Arya - he swore that he would return her to her mother. By giving his life for Cat's, he made that possible. Also, he was clearly tired of being undead, poor guy.

3 - That is certainly what LF told Sansa but I don't trust that man.

4 - Seems likely

Thank you!

3 - That is certainly what LF told Sansa but I don't trust that man.

You are wise not to trust him, but I don't think he is lying in that scene. He knew that the Queen of Thorns had fumbled with Sansa's hairnet, which is something he could not have guessed. And Dontos' description of the hairnet as "vengeance", along with the Ghost of High Heart's prophecy about a girl at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, backs up his assertion that the hairnet had poison in it. Combine these details, and it becomes clear that he is not lying, IMO.

LF is bragging to Sansa because he has a pervy crush on her. He wants her to know what a super magnificent bastard clever villain he is, because he is a gross Sansa as a substitute for Cat guy. That's why for once he just tells her the straight up truth about what he's done. Ugh. I hate him so much.

1 - I think this horn is the only way to control a dragon if YOU'RE NOT a Targ. Another possibility - the Targs actually had the horn. Dany certainly doesn't have it though, but the dragons don't seem to be in blind control from her, and also she was "reborn in the fire with them" - GRRM has stated this was a one-time magical event only. OR the whole horn thing is bullcrap.

2 - I think they're more intelligent than say a rat, but they have been described as "living fire" or something to that extent, so I guess they would be chaotic, rather than telling men the secrets of life and magic.

Archived