A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

Thanks, that explains it. Also, I want to ask if and how are we sure that the HotU vision shows Rhaegar, Elia and Aegon, but not Rhaegar, Lyanna, and (supposedly) Jon?

GRRM confirmed it. Also, Rhaegar was dead before Jon was even born. He never would have been in a position to be with Lyanna and a newborn Jon, because he was already dead.

bumping my question since it seems to have gotten overlooked

Why would Howland tell anyone? To me, that would violate the point of his character, which is that he's the guy Ned trusts utterly with his biggest secret ever.

On the other hand, Meera/Jojen seem to know something, given the way they sort of probe at Bran to see how much HE knows.

Also, GRRM confirmed that Jojen and Meera knew something about Jon's parents.

Could you provide a quote? This would be interesting if true.

ETA: Well, I found this SSM in which George says they "might know something" about the Tower of Joy. That doesn't really equate to him confirming they know something about Jon's parents, though.

Okay, so if we go with Howland has told no one, he is the only one that can confirm or deny RLJ. Will GRRM ever bring him out of hiding? Or will it forever be left implied? Will Howland appear out of nowhere to convince unJon/the emo that was promised to claim his right to the pointy end chair? These questions and more, next time, on "Soap."

A small question on the Robert Rebellion timeline:

Is there any evidence on how long it took Robert to get to KL? Ned raced back to KL after Rhaegar died bc Robert was injured, The Lannisters were already there and backed off in the face of Ned's men in the Keep. So I presume Elia and the kids were already dead. so how long did the Lannisters have to hold onto those bodies waiting for Robert to appear on the Iron Throne so the bodies could be properly presented to him?

LIttlefinger's tapestries.

I have read some rather old threads on this. I think the targ tapestries are still at House Darry = or could be. I think they were in a basement - equivalent. Those tapestries were portraits of the Targs up through the Mad King. Are these the ones Littlefinger wants? Who made the Targ tapestries and what about the idea that the next Targ generation is on cloth somewhere? If these arent the ones LF wanted, what were? And why describe the Targ portraits at all unless they are important. They certainly werent necessary for plot.

Could you provide a quote? This would be interesting if true.

ETA: Well, I found this SSM in which George says they "might know something" about the Tower of Joy. That doesn't really equate to him confirming they know something about Jon's parents, though.

And Victarion is dumb as a stump. Surprise!

Littlefinger wants some hunting tapestries of Robert's, which Cercei sends to him. It's very odd. Re-reading the first book there is mention of hunting tapestries hanging on the walls of the throne room, then after Robert dies, they are taken down and piled on the floor when Joffrey takes over. "The walls of the throne room had been stripped bare, the hunting tapestries that King Robert loved taken down and stacked in the corner in an untidy heap."

There is something weird about the whole thing, but I can't figure out what it could possibly be. It is driving me NUTS. I was shocked on re-read of AGOT by how often the hunting tapestries were mentioned. They came up a few times, as I remember it. It just seems so strange - what possible importance could they have?

LIttlefinger's tapestries.

I have read some rather old threads on this. I think the targ tapestries are still at House Darry = or could be. I think they were in a basement - equivalent. Those tapestries were portraits of the Targs up through the Mad King. Are these the ones Littlefinger wants? Who made the Targ tapestries and what about the idea that the next Targ generation is on cloth somewhere? If these arent the ones LF wanted, what were? And why describe the Targ portraits at all unless they are important. They certainly werent necessary for plot.

You're confusing two separate tapestry issues:

Littlefinger requested some of Robert's old hunting tapestries from King's Landing. We hear about this when Cersei is discussing the situation in the Vale with the Small Council.

At Darry the Targaryen tapestries were hidden away during Robert's visits because of his hatred for that family. They are there (as far as I can tell) to show that there are some lords who are still loyal to House Targaryen even as they pay homage to the Usurper. We hear about this during Jaime's stop there on his way to Riverrun.

Has GRRM ever said anything in an interview or SSM about Robb's will, or what's going on with Robett Glover and Maege Mormont? I think it's really rather odd that we've heard nothing about this by now, although I guess from their perspective maybe it's not an issue with every single Stark other than Jon Snow thought dead or missing.

I know that this problem must have been addressed somewhere in the forum but I can't find where: given the nature of seasons in ASoIaF world, how do they measure years? I must add that I did'n finish DWD yet.

While it may have been discussed a 1,000 times, there isn't an answer. IIRC GRRM is holding that back.

You're confusing two separate tapestry issues:

Littlefinger requested some of Robert's old hunting tapestries from King's Landing. We hear about this when Cersei is discussing the situation in the Vale with the Small Council.

I did not ever see that he wanted the *hunting* tapestries or even Robert's tapestries. that is why I wonder about the targ tapestries. I recall no specific description to the reader about them although I presume LF was specific to Cersei about what he wanted Do you happen to have a page # or quote?

Maybe the message to Jon is hidden in there <G>

It very specifically says hunting tapestries of Robert's. Look in the section where the small council talks about Petyr and what's going on in the vale (one of Cercei's earlier POVs) and then Littlefinger mentions it to Sansa in one of Sansa's POVs rather late in AFFC, I think.

Has GRRM ever said anything in an interview or SSM about Robb's will, or what's going on with Robett Glover and Maege Mormont? I think it's really rather odd that we've heard nothing about this by now, although I guess from their perspective maybe it's not an issue with every single Stark other than Jon Snow thought dead or missing.

Not to my knowledge, I guess we just have to wait and see if and how the will pops up. But I'm not very good in finding things in So Spake Martin.

While it may have been discussed a 1,000 times, there isn't an answer. IIRC GRRM is holding that back.

Thanks. I guess there's some kind of "standard year" like in science-fiction books, designed to determine people's age and seasons length. I kind of remember that in AFFC somebody says that in Braavos they count years differently than in Westeros.

Archived