A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

What significance is there for blowing a horn three times? We see the Dragon Horn must be blown three times for it to bind the Dragons and The Nights Watch belowing a horn three times for the announcement of The Others. Is there any correlation between blowing a horn three times for Dragons and The Others?

What significance is there for blowing a horn three times? We see the Dragon Horn must be blown three times for it to bind the Dragons and The Nights Watch belowing a horn three times for the announcement of The Others. Is there any correlation between blowing a horn three times for Dragons and The Others?

Interesting question! I'm not sure the use of three signals is related to these events, unless the use of the number three has some special significance in general.

I suppose when something is really important you want to be sure that everybody hears it. And - like the signals for the Watch - I suppose you don't want one blow for something that occurs not very often, or which is the one you should be the most afraid of. Hence one blow for what occurs regularly (rangers returning), two blows for what is mildly threatening (wildlings), three for something that should scare you a lot.

Why three for a dragon? I took it from the chapter that was partly read from TWoW that Victarion wanted to be sure that the signal would be heard. He knew that one person could not blow the horn for a long time. Or maybe he wants all three of the dragons summoned, one blow for each dragon?

I know that this problem must have been addressed somewhere in the forum but I can't find where: given the nature of seasons in ASoIaF world, how do they measure years? I must add that I did'n finish DWD yet.

soemwhere in book 1 it is mentioned this current summer is "9 years, 10 turns, and ? days." or some very close numbers. but i took this to mean that a "turn" is about the sun or moon, most likely the moon, so it is very close to our months, and i just assumed 12 turns is a year.

It very specifically says hunting tapestries of Robert's. Look in the section where the small council talks about Petyr and what's going on in the vale (one of Cercei's earlier POVs) and then Littlefinger mentions it to Sansa in one of Sansa's POVs rather late in AFFC, I think.

"Not as yet. In truth, he seems quite unconcerned. His last letter mentions the rebels only briefly before beseeching me to ship him some old tapestries of Robert's." Cersei Cersei IV AFfC

"Though I should not speak harshly of her, she is sending me some splendid tapestries. Isn't that kind of her?" Littlefinger Alayne I AFfC

No mention in those quotes of hunting.

How did Mikken get the Valyrian steel for Arya's blade? Did he just have some lying around? And why would he make the sword for Jon out of it without telling Ned, when valyrian steel is extremely rare?

What makes you think that Arya's blade is Valyrian steel?

Okay, so if we go with Howland has told no one, he is the only one that can confirm or deny RLJ. Will GRRM ever bring him out of hiding? Or will it forever be left implied? Will Howland appear out of nowhere to convince unJon/the emo that was promised to claim his right to the pointy end chair? These questions and more, next time, on "Soap."

If you re-read Ned's recollection of Lyanna's death in his first chapter, you'll see that more than one person found him with her in his arms. We know that Howland was one of those people, but we don't know who or how many other people were also there. A common theory is that it was Wylla, who was serving as wetnurse at the tower.

I know that this problem must have been addressed somewhere in the forum but I can't find where: given the nature of seasons in ASoIaF world, how do they measure years? I must add that I did'n finish DWD yet.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2997/

"[What is the cycle of a year? Why do they count years when seasons are strange?]

Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth. Even on our earth, years have nothing to do with the seasons, or with the cycles of the moon. A year is a measure of a solar cycle, of how long it takes the earth to make one complete revolution around the sun. The same is true for the world of Westeros. Seasons do not come into it."

How did Mikken get the Valyrian steel for Arya's blade? Did he just have some lying around? And why would he make the sword for Jon out of it without telling Ned, when valyrian steel is extremely rare?

Needle is castle forged steel, not Valyrian.

Would you guys recommend reading the Dunk and Egg stories to gain a better understanding of ASoIaF in general? Sometimes I see people backing up their theories with examples from these stories so I wonder if they are worth the read? Thanks :)

I've borrowed my books to a converted friend, so I can't check it or find it on Wiki:

Can anyone tell me how many swords Bran & co took from the crypts when they escaped Winterfell? 3 or 4? Thanks in advance :)

They took 4. Meera took Rickard's blade, Bran took Brandon's (his uncle), Osha took Eddard's, and Hodor took one that was very old and rusty.

Would you guys recommend reading the Dunk and Egg stories to gain a better understanding of ASoIaF in general? Sometimes I see people backing up their theories with examples from these stories so I wonder if they are worth the read? Thanks :)

Absolutely. I thought they were awesome.

It very specifically says hunting tapestries of Robert's. Look in the section where the small council talks about Petyr and what's going on in the vale (one of Cercei's earlier POVs) and then Littlefinger mentions it to Sansa in one of Sansa's POVs rather late in AFFC, I think.

Thanks. Suggests some hidden significance.

They took 4. Meera took Rickard's blade, Bran took Brandon's (his uncle), Osha took Eddard's, and Hodor took one that was very old and rusty.

the confusion may come from the fact that Hodor left the crypts apparently without a sword but had one in the next book, with explanation.

Is there any hint about why the Blackfish was so vehemently opposed to getting married? Some have suggested he might be gay, but I don't remember even the faintest hint in that direction, where with Loras/Renly and Jon Con there are clues in the text.

Regrettably, I haven't read through the previous 19 threads, but I have a small question about ADWD:

Why did Wun Wun kill Ser Patrek? Was he somehow involved in the plot against Jon?

I'm pretty sure that it went as follows: Ser Patrek wanted Val and was trying to get Selyse to marry Val off to him. Jon ridiculed the idea that Val would assent to this and mentioned the whole wildling tradition of how you "steal" a wildling woman when you want her. I assume there are certain nuances to how this is done, but Patrek did not get this, tried to break into Val's tower and steal her and Wun Wun killed him to defend her.

Archived