Does the preface to ADWD annoy any other of my bretheren or sisteren here too?

SerStinger

This part:

Both Dance and Feast take up the story immediately after the events of the third volume in the series, A Storm of Swords. Whereas Feast focused on events in and around King’s Landing, on the Iron Islands, and down in Dorne, Dance takes us north to Castle Black and the Wall (and beyond), and across the narrow sea to Pentos and Slaver’s Bay, to pick up the tales of Tyrion Lannister, Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, and all the other characters you did not see in the preceding volume. Rather than being sequential, the two books are parallel … divided geographically, rather than chronologically.

But only up to a point. A Dance with Dragons is a longer book than A Feast for Crows, and covers a longer time period. In the latter half of this volume, you will notice certain of the viewpoint characters from A Feast for Crows popping up again. And that means just what you think it means: the narrative has moved past the time frame of Feast, and the two streams have once again rejoined each other.

I mean, we're not idiots, thanks, we could see that for ourselves when we read the book. I find the explanation a bit condescending and captain-obviously.

Am I wrong?

Yeah, you're dead wrong! : Only joking... :P

Seriously now, answering your question, it doesn't annoy me. It could have gone either way with the splitting geographically or not, and I liked that GRRM added that explanation. I'll also add that I know people who even reading that and the book, didn't quite get that the narrative had gone beyond the time frame of AFfC.

Not seeing the problem here. It's a simple case of 'if you already knew this, he wasn't talking to you'. The vast majority of those who bought the book probably haven't read any interviews with GRRM or reread the series since AFFC came out, and would have appreciated the recap to remind them about the split and the information about the time frame.

And most people read the preface before they read the book, after all... ;) It sets the scene for them.

This part:

I mean, we're not idiots, thanks, we could see that for ourselves when we read the book. I find the explanation a bit condescending and captain-obviously.

Am I wrong?

Not every reader is a hardcore fan of the series. Many people read AFFC in 2005 and barely remembered what happened in it when ADWD came out, so this would've been helpful for them.

Not every reader is a hardcore fan of the series. Many people read AFFC in 2005 and barely remembered what happened in it when ADWD came out, so this would've been helpful for them.

Hell, I'm a diehard fan of the books and,apart from Cersei's and Brienne's chapters, I don't remember much from AFfC.

Hell, I'm a diehard fan of the books and,apart from Cersei's and Brienne's chapters, I don't remember much from AFfC.

hah so true. I'm not a hater of AFFC but it's focus on the ironborn/dorne/etc was a bit of a drag. I think apple martini described the dornish as either hotheads or dish rags, I lawled.

But no I'm not annoyed, GRRM can assume i'm a dope, it's all good. I'd still buy him a turtle hat if I ever saw him in public as a gesture of gratitude for the books.

hah so true. I'm not a hater of AFFC but it's focus on the ironborn/dorne/etc was a bit of a drag. I think apple martini described the dornish as either hotheads or dish rags, I lawled.

But no I'm not annoyed, GRRM can assume i'm a dope, it's all good. I'd still buy him a turtle hat if I ever saw him in public as a gesture of gratitude for the books.

Now I want a turtle hat. :(

What is with this forum's tendency to excite strange cravings in me? :unsure:

I for one am not a fan of the split and have torn both books up and taped them back together in cronological order, creating AFfD and ADwC.

I wouldn't go so far, but, I'm on my first re-read of the whole series and have now reached AFFC. I was wandering... is there some place I can find the chronological order discribed? I think I'd rather read it in chronological order this time around... see if I gain some insight on wether this works out better or not. Is there such a thing? Like First Sansa 1, then Cersei 1, then Jon 1, etc, etc..?

I don't mind. If you're on this board, then you're probably one of the most engaged members of the fandom. Most readers are going to be much more casual i their approach. I know a couple of very casual readers in RL who don't do nearly as deep a dive in to the series as I do. However, I find Martin's note at the end of Feast on how the next book would be along in a year or so to be a touch bittersweet. I remember reading that all these years ago and thinking I wouldn't have such a long wait in front of me. Foolish summer child that I was.

I wouldn't go so far, but, I'm on my first re-read of the whole series and have now reached AFFC. I was wandering... is there some place I can find the chronological order discribed? I think I'd rather read it in chronological order this time around... see if I gain some insight on wether this works out better or not. Is there such a thing? Like First Sansa 1, then Cersei 1, then Jon 1, etc, etc..?

This should help you out.

Now I want a turtle hat. :(

What is with this forum's tendency to excite strange cravings in me? :unsure:

Seriously I hope I look like GRRM when I get older(well maybe a couple pant sizes slimmer), but his sense of style is all his own. Turtle pendants, silly hats, suspenders, if you got it.....FLAUNT IT.

Seriously I hope I look like GRRM when I get older(well maybe a couple pant sizes slimmer), but his sense of style is all his own. Turtle pendants, silly hats, suspenders, if you got it.....FLAUNT IT.

If you're wishing to age gracefully, go the whole nine yard and wish for this.

Well I meant when I'm around GRRMs age not like Male Cougar status i.e. George Clooney. Do we have a word for that yet, male version of a cougar? Does it have to be a predatory big cat? Like a puma or jaguar? These are questions worthy of this board!

Well I meant when I'm around GRRMs age not like Male Cougar status i.e. George Clooney. Do we have a word for that yet, male version of a cougar? Does it have to be a predatory big cat? Like a puma or jaguar? These are questions worthy of this board!

Cougar is a gender neutral term like tiger or lion, silly. :P

Hah well yes if we're talking about like the actual animal the cougar, it is gender neutral. But! according to urbandictionary.com a Cougar is specifically an older woman scouring for younger men. Therefore I submit to you....Winter's Knight, we need a colloqualism for a Clooney-esque older man whose still got it goin on.

Hah well yes if we're talking about like the actual animal the cougar, it is gender neutral. But! according to urbandictionary.com a Cougar is specifically an older woman scouring for younger men. Therefore I submit to you....Winter's Knight, we need a colloqualism for a Clooney-esque older man whose still got it goin on.

I'm all for equality, y'all can be cougars too.

Unless you'd rather be a hyena, seeing as all the feline names are taken. But hyenas hunt in packs and the leader of said pack is always female, so that won't do.

Wanna be cocks? Bantams?

I know older gents who prefer younger men are called chicken hawks.

Archived