Red Priest

Some are taken as slaves and forced to become them. And others just become them on their own, i believe.

A thing I'm curious about is: people like Thoros or Melisandre/Melony who were essentially slaves given to the temple before they became priest(esse)s themselves, what happens if they decide "I no longer want to be a priest, goodbye"? Since they are legally slaves belonging to the temple, could the High Priest say "if you don't want to be a priest(ess) anymore, you will serve us sweeping floors" or something like that?

I suspect most ex-slaves who become priests are happy with the high status they enjoy, so they rarely try to escape the temple, but we know that happens now and then: Thoros and Mel have essentially gone rogue (Thoros became a hard-drinking, glutton, debauched courtesan, and latter a rebel outlaw; Mel is most probably an heretic who is pursuing her own interpretation of the prophecy).

But Thoros and Mel are at a place (Westeros) were slavery is outlawed; my doubt is about, what happens to rogue slave priests at the Free Cities?

A thing I'm curious about is: people like Thoros or Melisandre/Melony who were essentially slaves given to the temple before they became priest(esse)s themselves, what happens if they decide "I no longer want to be a priest, goodbye"? Since they are legally slaves belonging to the temple, could the High Priest say "if you don't want to be a priest(ess) anymore, you will serve us sweeping floors" or something like that?

I suspect most ex-slaves who become priests are happy with the high status they enjoy, so they rarely try to escape the temple, but we know that happens now and then: Thoros and Mel have essentially gone rogue (Thoros became a hard-drinking, glutton, debauched courtesan, and latter a rebel outlaw; Mel is most probably an heretic who is pursuing her own interpretation of the prophecy).

But Thoros and Mel are at a place (Westeros) were slavery is outlawed; my doubt is about, what happens to rogue slave priests at the Free Cities?

Thoros wasn't technically a slave though. He was the youngest of eight so his father gave him to the temple. Although Thoros does note that it wasn't the life he'd have chosen for himself.

Thoros wasn't technically a slave though. He was the youngest of eight so his father gave him to the temple. Although Thoros does note that it wasn't the life he'd have chosen for himself.

He was still a property of the temple, even if he was donated and not sold.

Archived