Is Arya the main character?

Hoopdescoop

There are basically six main characters, with the trinity of Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys occupying the top shelf, and the trinity of Starks occupying the shelf right below (i.e., Arya, Bran and Sansa).

Those six are immortal until the final book; everyone else is expendable and can die at any time.

Technically you could argue that Jon is dead. I mean Martin has said it was a mistake for Tolkein to bring back Gandalf. It would be a bit hypocritical of him to not kill after having killed Jon Snow. Inside his wolf, maybe, but returning as a human seems pretty unlikely. He did name his direwolf ghost for a reason.

there is no THE main character. only groups that are tiered which we can base on how many POV's they have had, mentions, and appearances. I break it down like this.

Tier 1- Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Arya

Tier 2- Bran, Catelyn, Sansa, Cersei

Tier 3- Jaime, Davos, Theon,

Tier 4- Eddard, Stannis, Sam, and Robb

Tier 5- Brienne, Littlefinger, Varys

Tier 6- A lot of others who we hear a ton about, Tywin, Jorah, the Hound, Joffrey... etc.

obviously there is no right or wrong answer, but this is the way i would set it up

Tier 1 should be all the Stark children as GRRM did say they are all important followed by:

Tyrion and Jon and Dany.

Then just move up the tiers, I also might throw Ilyn Pane some where in there he seems to be one of those vipers that may come back to haunt Sansa.

For a long time I thought Jon was the most important 'central' character in the books, but after ADwD I actually think Bran is the most important character in the story.

His was the first non-epilogue POV in the books and I also think his will be the last.

I don't think she is the main character either. However, give her name, "Arya" is like a misspelling of the word "aria." I have a feeling she has something very important to do with the "The Song of Ice and Fire."

Since I know you love symbolism, the "song" aspect is carried through in Sansa's name as well-- a "sansa" is a musical instrument. Also, "aria" actually means music (not song, technically :cool4: )

ETA: and to answer the question, no, I don't think she's the main character, but there's definitely a reason she saw the "prime movers" plotting (Illyrio and Varys) in aGoT; so much goes back to that one scene, and I think she's going to end up doing something really huge.

ETA: and to answer the question, no, I don't think she's the main character, but there's definitely a reason she saw the "prime movers" plotting (Illyrio and Varys) in aGoT; so much goes back to that one scene, and I think she's going to end up doing something really huge.

Yeah, that's a good point. It can't have been just for the readers' benefit — it has to come into play where she herself is concerned, too.

Those that appear later, like the Damphair and Jon C. exist primarily to move the plot along.

I think what's going on is in cases where there is a need to show a certain aspect of the story, separate from the travels of those already in a POV, then one is added - probably in cases where simply exposition / explanation from afar just doesn't cut it.

I still don't get Areo Hotah though.

I think what's going on is in cases where there is a need to show a certain aspect of the story, separate from the travels of those already in a POV, then one is added - probably in cases where simply exposition / explanation from afar just doesn't cut it.

I still don't get Areo Hotah though.

Yep, moving the plot along. ;)

Areo is Red Shirt #3. That's the only explanation I've been able to figure out.

I always put a 2nd bookmark on the next closest Arya chapter, just so I know how far away it is.

I don't think she is the main character either. However, give her name, "Arya" is like a misspelling of the word "aria." I have a feeling she has something very important to do with the "The Song of Ice and Fire."

Wow, damn good catch. Though it does seems a strecth, I believe the misspelling of the name and what an aria is to a song is significant.

Archived