Who do you think will be the first main book character to figure out Jon's parents?

kg1982

This post assumes R+L=J is true.

I'm of the opinion that Jon will be the last person to know about his parents. It won't be revealed to him by Howland until one or more major characters know the truth. I'm assuming that Bran seeing things through the weirwood net is likely; however, that just seems too lazy to me. I'd prefer a more inventive way. One of my favorite theories is that Jaime or Barristan piece together the mystery based on what they know.

Nobody, everyone'd stay ignorant till the end. It would be masterful example of trolling by Martin.

What an alternative POV. Please, tell me more about how funny it would be for this to occur.

On topic, I reckon Bran already knows. Theon could possibly find out next.

As for working it out simply on evidence and not being told, I'm genuinely stumped. Perhaps Manderly?

Besides Bran who may already know Jaime.

I think if Jaime knew, we'd have some evidence of this in his thoughts, wouldn't we?

Either way, if someone else finds out first, I think it would be Bran but I really hope no one else does. It's Jon's past, its for him to hear, not Bran or Arya or anyone else. I really hope that it doesn't happen that way.

First we need to list who knows or might know: Jojen and Meera might know. Bloodraven knows. Howland Reed too. Varys might know due to his influence and intelligence, but he'll tell anyone about it.

Howland Reed is somewhere at the Neck, away from POV characters, so, he'll not tell anyone about it (he may have told his kids).

Since Bloodraven knows and is with Bran, he - Bran - will be the first to know about it.

I can't really think of anyone else. Maybe Mel, using her flames.

I could see Jaime or Barristan working it out the same way various characters worked out the truth about Jaime/Cercei and their children... someone says something that causes all the pieces they already have to fall into place inside their head. However, I don't think it's likely - I just think it could happen, if GRRM wanted it to. Even Cercei could figure it out the same way, but she's pretty busy right now.

I did notice, re-reading ACOK, that in Catelyn's POV where she prays in the sept, the Warrior reminds her of Stannis and Renly, Robb and Robert, and Jaime Lannister and Jon Snow. I thought it was odd that she thought of the latter two at all, and especially as a pairing. Then Jaime's conversation with her in ACOK also ends with his bringing up Jon Snow, somewhat gratuitously. I keep wondering if those are hints that he will work it out eventually.

I don't know - I would actually like Jaime to figure it out, so maybe it's sort of wishful thinking on my part. I just think it would place him in an interesting position, because he obviously has guilt and regret over the fate of Rhaegar's children. How will he respond to Aegon/fAegon? How would he respond to Rhaegar and Lyanna's son? I'm curious.

Grrm made a point of making jon and Tyrion friends. Maybe the imp can't charm danny and goes after jon instead. Also he is clever enough to work it out

Yeah that's what I think too. Tyrion and Jon being sort-of-maybe-friends is definitely not random.

I could see Jaime or Barristan working it out the same way various characters worked out the truth about Jaime/Cercei and their children... someone says something that causes all the pieces they already have to fall into place inside their head. However, I don't think it's likely - I just think it could happen, if GRRM wanted it to. Even Cercei could figure it out the same way, but she's pretty busy right now.

I did notice, re-reading ACOK, that in Catelyn's POV where she prays in the sept, the Warrior reminds her of Stannis and Renly, Robb and Robert, and Jaime Lannister and Jon Snow. I thought it was odd that she thought of the latter two at all, and especially as a pairing. Then Jaime's conversation with her in ACOK also ends with his bringing up Jon Snow, somewhat gratuitously. I keep wondering if those are hints that he will work it out eventually.

I don't know - I would actually like Jaime to figure it out, so maybe it's sort of wishful thinking on my part. I just think it would place him in an interesting position, because he obviously has guilt and regret over the fate of Rhaegar's children. How will he respond to Aegon/fAegon? How would he respond to Rhaegar and Lyanna's son? I'm curious.

Or this. That line about Snow being such a white name always stuck in my head.

Maybe both of them figure it out simultaneously.

Bran will know. He might not tell.

Archived