Who do you think will be the first main book character to figure out Jon's parents?

kg1982

Very interesting question. I think anyone who would be likely to just figure it out would have had to have been close to Aerys' court. Therefore, my guesses in order from most to least likely would be Varys, Pycelle, Jaime and Barristan.

ETA: Oops, forgot Pycelle was dead. :blushing:

Well, that would be a tough part to write. Howland Reed showing up and revelaing all, a la "Hey, guys, you will never believe this but that Jon Snow kid..."

I think his kids might know. But Bran sees it or it is revealed to him and the Reeds somehow confirm it.

I have a feeling too that Sam somehow will have to get the hell out of the Citadel for some reason.

Jon's "death" and the threat of the 'Others' will make Jon a more mobile character and he may run into somebody or they may get to him first.

I was thinking that if three of the Kingsguard were at the TOJ and knew Lyanna was pregnant, then the other Kingsguard might know, especially Barristan. But neither he nor Jaime have had a thought in that direction. It's still a puzzlement -- wouldn't half the KG know where the other half had gone, at least? And why? And what would their reaction be to hearing that the great heroes of their order had died in some gods-forsaken place in Dorne?

Anyway, I'd say that either Barristan or Jaime might have the information to reach a conclusion, although the fact that they haven't in 16 years doesn't hold out hope.

Otherwise, I'd think it would be someone trying to figure out what happened to Lyanna, or perhaps what happened at the ToJ. Interesting that Ned returned to Winterfell with the body of Lyanna and a baby -- and without the body of Lord Dustin. Could Barbry Dustin be able to get a clue?

Could someone at House Dayne know? I think that's where Ned found Wylla, Jon's wet nurse. Of course, Wylla, if she's still alive, would know, but she's not part of the story . . .

Bran is a given, I think.

Bloodraven knows. Therefore, I think it's a given Bran will eventually know. Other than that, I have know idea.

It's really kind of frustrating. Everyone just assumes there's no more to the story than Eddard returned from Dorne with a dead sister and a newborn baby and no one is suspicious? Seriously?

I personally think it would be interesting if Stannis was the one who eventually puts two and two together. He's the one who figured out the truth about Cersei's kids, and he's had plenty of interaction with Jon. He has to know about the ToJ, at least somewhat, due to Robert's dead fiancé and subsequent hate of all things Targaryen. However, he's currently stuck in a blizzard and may/may not be dead.

It's really kind of frustrating. Everyone just assumes there's no more to the story than Eddard returned from Dorne with a dead sister and a newborn baby and no one is suspicious? Seriously?

I think it speaks to the extraordinary regard in which people hold Ned — either out of respect for his truthfulness or a cynical belief that he's incapable of lying — that whatever story he told about Lyanna and Jon was (apparently) believed such that no one ever went digging, not even (again, apparently) Varys or Littlefinger. That guileless, honest-to-a-fault Ned pulled one over on everyone is probably one of the most underestimated achievements in the books.

I personally think it would be interesting if Stannis was the one who eventually puts two and two together. He's the one who figured out the truth about Cersei's kids, and he's had plenty of interaction with Jon. He has to know about the ToJ, at least somewhat, due to Robert's dead fiancé and subsequent hate of all things Targaryen. However, he's currently stuck in a blizzard and may/may not be dead.

^ Now, this I like. That would be interesting.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the reason GRRM made Aemon blind is so that he wouldn't recognize familiar features and/or mannerisms in Jon.

I don't think they're saying that Jaime already knows, just that he'll be one of the first to find out.

Got it, thanks. In this case, I'm ok with Jaime being amongst the first to know. Still want Jon to be the one to know the truth first.

Stannis is a fun suggestion. So is Lady Dustin... she must know something about the Tower of Joy, and she has the motivation to want to know more. She also doesn't have that ingrained love of Ned that would keep her from considering him as potentially deceptive.

Also, there are many ways Melisandre could work it out... not just the flames, but whatever will happen now that Jon is "dead."

Hodor will figure it out first, if he hasn't already.

But in all seriousness, I think it will either be Jaime or Sam.

Why Sam? Because he's such an unlikely candidate that he becomes a likely candidate. I also see him having a run in with Varys while in Oldtown. I don't know why, I just get that inkling.

Bran. Because Bloodraven already knows.

Agreed. I think so because I could be wrong it's been known to happen, but didn't BR say something to Bran about watching him since his birth or something. I don't hink he has just been watching Bran but the Starks in general. I think the whole Rhaegar+Lyanna may have gotten his attention.

why do we assume bloodraven knows about jon's parentage? was there a passage im forgetting?

I was wondering that too, but I think there's some point where Mormont's Raven calls Jon "King," repeatedly, and most people assume Bloodraven has been warging Mormont's Raven for awhile.

why do we assume bloodraven knows about jon's parentage? was there a passage im forgetting?

The guy has a network of weirwood at his disposal and a magical crow that is trolling and advising many characters (and the instance where the crow cawed king to Jon Snow).

Bran could know it and dish it out to Stannis at Theon's beheading.

The guy has a network of weirwood at his disposal and a magical crow that is trolling and advising many characters (and the instance where the crow cawed king to Jon Snow).

the first thing i learned about these books was never to assume anything. if the only evidence we have to suggest bloodraven knows who fathered jon is that he is a warg, im not sure if thats enough. besides, there aren't many wierwoods in the south, so i can't imagine he caught a glimpse of the tourney at harrenhall or anything.

the first thing i learned about these books was never to assume anything. if the only evidence we have to suggest bloodraven knows who fathered jon is that he is a warg, im not sure if thats enough. besides, there aren't many wierwoods in the south, so i can't imagine he caught a glimpse of the tourney at harrenhall or anything.

Bloodraven told Bran that when he's ready, he won't need weirwoods to see past, present and future. He likely got that level. Plus, he has a thousand eyes and one likely "spying" in all the realm (Mormont's raven, Balerion the cat?)

Archived