are the others realy that evil?

ramsay snow is evil relative to our society and the society in westoros but the others do not live in that society or infact humanity therfore calling them evil is like calling a earthquake evil they are a forse of natureunable to comprhend our belifes. the fact that we see fight for a survial may be exactly what the others are doing mabey they need to breakthrough to the seven kingdoms in order to survive.

I'd say that Martin is arguing that neither dragons (fire) or Others (ice) are inherently good or evil by nature. Any more than humans. They are simply two magical forces in the verse that can be used for good or evil. I would say that the Others motives seem hostile so they are presumably hostile but in truth we don't know enough about them.

Don't they laugh mockingly before killing Weymar Royce in the prologue to AGOT? If so, that's not nice.

How do you know it was mockingly? Or laugh at all, for that matter? They could simply be praying for his soul in their own alien language, asking for forgiveness that they must take an innocent life in order to feed their children.

How do you know it was mockingly? Or laugh at all, for that matter? They could simply be praying for his soul in their own alien language, asking for forgiveness that they must take an innocent life in order to feed their children.

Just for you, I looked up the quote. I think this was my big clue: "The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking." I will give you that they didn't laugh though.

They shoot first and ask questions later, they are bad.

But that doesn't mean they are "Bad" per se. If they aren't intelligent Beings, and they are mindless corpses, they aren't "Evil." Evil implies morality and choice. Is a cancer "Evil?" it kills with no prejudice, yet it is still kills without "Asking Questions"

I think theres a large possibility that GRRM wants us to beleive they're evil, but things aren't always as they seem in Westeros.

So you think they are just a force of nature? Like a storm or hurricane, I guess thats possible, but they seem intelligent. They use swords so have an understanding of tools and they have a language. Something tells me they are like us.

Just for you, I looked up the quote. I think this was my big clue: "The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking." I will give you that they didn't laugh though.

Okay, I concede :P They're a bunch of evil monsters -_-

Martin has already said that the Others are more than just villains. They undoubtedly have motives for what they're doing, but that doesn't mean that a reconciliation with humanity is possible. In all of the encounters that we've witnessed and heard of in the series, there doesn't seem to have been any attempt by the Others to communicate. They have always attacked.

I suspect that the conflict can only be settled by the final defeat of one side or the other, barring some miracle discovery of a medium of communication. The Others seem to have been dormant or patient for a long time and they're not likely to admit defeat very easily.

Their goals may be vastly different than humanity's, but that doesn't make them evil. They may even have good reasons to want to kick the crap out of humans (at least the NW and Wildlings).

They might have good reasons in their own eyes, but there is something missing here. Humans can be reasoned with, but there is no indication that the Others have attempted any kind of settlement. They kill human civilians and military without discriminating between them and they seem to want all humans dead. Even if their goal isn't to wipe out humanity, they seem extremely willing to kill and destroy until nothing remains. That seems fairly evil to me.

They dont attempt parley, negotiations, or diplomacy. They kill and attack at an instant. From what we have seen of the others they are antagonistic to humans and evil. On my phone so cant really elaborate but this whole "the others are just misunderstood!!" Is kinda silly. They have a language and intelligence they could have asked for the surrender of the nights watch at the fist of the first men rather than just slaughtering them.

They might have good reasons in their own eyes, but there is something missing here. Humans can be reasoned with, but there is no indication that the Others have attempted any kind of settlement. They kill human civilians and military without discriminating between them and they seem to want all humans dead. Even if their goal isn't to wipe out humanity, they seem extremely willing to kill and destroy until nothing remains. That seems fairly evil to me.

We don't actually know they want all humans dead though--we just don't have enough information. I agree they are alien and have different motivations (including killing at least some groups of humans). However, that doesn't make them fundamentally evil. No more than two opposing sides fighting in a war.

I find it very telling though that one of them engaged Royce in a duel. If they just wanted a quick slaughter why not just all attack at once? That isn't evidence they are good or evil. For me though it indicates they aren't an implacable evil.

They are good, but wildly misunderstood. If someone would just bake them a bundt cake and have them over for coffee, you would see that I speak the truth.

It is known.

I am just kidding. They are sooooo evil. They don't deserve a bundt cake.

Archived