Anyone else having Difficulty Reading the book?

Finished AFFC two days ago, and enjoyed it a lot, even more than A Clash of Kings (but less than AGoT and ASoS). My favourite chapters were the Cersei ones, and the least entertaining were the Brienne chapters. However, they are important for the deeper insight they give on the commoners and the effects of the war on them. Also,

we got to see zombie Cat again

Started ADwD yesterday and was astounded by the prologue. Immersive, intense and even scary, that was the best prologue so far in ASoIaF. Doesn't seem of much importance to the plot but who knows...the first Tyrion chapter was great as every Tyrion chapter is, and the first Daenerys was boring as most Dany chapters are. Neverthless, I'm enjoying it ver much, and hungry for more. :drool:

yes, it was the hardest book to get through. I stopped reading it years ago and waited till DWD came out since I knew I wouldn't remember much and didn't want to read it twice. I think for me it is all the new characters....just didn't like most of them...but I'm sure they are important at some point.

This book has great flow. I've heard nothing but how the book was boring and a very slow read. I just sat down with it and flew through 200 pages. I like the pace. It is hard for any book to match the power and twists of A Storm of Swords. But this is far from what I was told. I should be done with it by the end of the week, and I just started it.

I was expecting it to be terrible from the reviews I had read but I enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite but I still liked it. I thought it was cool to have a cersei pov but missed having the dany pov. I thought some of the new povs were interesting. The only thing I absolutely hated we're the brienne chapters until the last 3 or 4.

(snip)

Started ADwD yesterday and was astounded by the prologue. Immersive, intense and even scary, that was the best prologue so far in ASoIaF. Doesn't seem of much importance to the plot but who knows..(snip)

Yep, the prologue of ADWD started me off on one continuous read of the book. I took a day off to not having to put it down :blushing:

Keep reading, the back story in the prologue will become very, very important later on in ADWD, and I suspect even more in TWOW. Have fun!.

I finished it some days ago and, yes, imho, the weakest book by far. Quite decieving for me

- It's as if nothing has happened (Brienne, Arya chapters)

- New but non quite interesting characters (Victarion, Dorne's)

- Index: Cersei, Jaime, Cersei again (omg...), Brienne, Cersei, Jaime, Cersei (OMG!!!)

- Brienne: Headless chicken, horrible chapters...

- Imo: ASoS>=AGoT>>ACoK>>AFfC

Just started ADwD. Critics (at least kindle users ones) are not very good but we'll see

Maybe some people find Feast for Crows boring because they're used to all the craziness of Storm of Swords. I found it a bit boring too at first. It was like the aftermath of all the madness that occurred in the previous book. But when i reached the second half of the book it became a lot more interesting!

I agree and I think the main reason for that is that the action in aFfC so far happened not at Kings landing or on the north or at the wall (what we were used so far with previous 3 books).

Im on page 350 of aFfC and I generally agree it is a slow-paced read so far.

In aFfC we see a lot of side action, not really relevant to the plot? Some Dornishmen stuff here, sansa + littlefinger there (the main event and shocking revelation so far took place at the Vale concerning Lysa Tully and Jon arryn's death).

There's also the Ironmen kingsmooth story and brienne's quest for Sansa.

In the meantime the story drags on kings landing with Cersei, Jamie and the Tyrrels, nothing seems to develop or happen (patience i guess!).

And Arya is hmmm....training on Braavos with some odd priests...

I think the best book so far is aSoS, lot of things happened here although the first 100-200 pages were slow...same with most of the others I find.

About 200 pages in and firstly appreciate that I can't expect it to be as dramatic and fast-paced as ASOS which had next to no fat on it!

Finding the Samwell and Brienne chapters a bit slow and the Asha and Dornish chapters passable so far as I think the meeting of new characters creates intrigue. However I love the Jaime and new introduction of Cersei's viewpoint, the conspiring and Machiavellian nature of the Lannisters story really grip me and hold my interest. :drool:

My family all shares books we find interesting. Everything from philosophy, history, sci-fi, to young adult fiction. I'm 28 and bring home books from college courses for them to read. My moms a middle school teacher and often reads the young adult books her 6-8th graders read. My dads a psychologist and finds more unique books that are usually very good.

Anyways, they read the Twilight books and never recommended them. Then they became a huge public success and I asked my dad if he liked them or if they were for 13 year old girls. His response was "They were pretty good... you can tell they were written by a woman."

That's how I've felt about this book even though its GRRM written. I have loved the first three in the series but this one has more social subtlety and more interpersonal relationship notes. Basically less action, more talk. My favorite story lines are Arya, Jon, Tyrion, Bran, Daenarys, and Sam. Jaime and Cersei's chapter fall in between and I'm actually starting to enjoy Jamie's chapters. My least favorite storylines are Sansa, Catelyn, Petyr, and Robb. Basically, the more politcal a chapter the less I'm interested. This includes some of the 3 pages of description of what all the knights are wearing at the tournament, their standards, and how their horses are dressed.

This book has had alot of that sort of writing.

Also, every once in a while you'll have the star of a tv show go off to make a movie while the show is in production. They minimize his scene time and occasional just update you in third person about what that character has been doing. Daenary's, Jon, Tyrian, and Bran all seem to be missing in these books. Intentional by the author as he sets up conflict in other places but those were some of his best characters.

So yes, this book has been a disappointment while the first 3 were such an enjoyment. I'm trudging through trying to get to DoD and back to some of the original and more interesting story lines.

If I finished a chapter and turned the page to see the next chapter was brienne I would try to just force through the brienne chapter so I could start on a good chapter the next day. Hers were the only ones that were terribly boring to read for me. Now that I am half way through adwd, I kind of miss the cersei and Jamie chapters but adwd is awesome otherwise. There is no pov I don't enjoy in adwd.

I can see why people had trouble reading the book , there's around 30 chapters less than a regular book in the series which makes the chapters longer by 10 pages +- so basicly we had to read longer chapters for characters not everybody care for

Brienne being the lead character in the story after Cersei wasn't really great either , I didn't have any trouble going through her chapters but about half of them were basicly going up and down the same route ... she was fun with Jaime but by herself she's not too interesting although she had some pretty nice chapters(Meribald , Biter ...)

Saw a lot of negative reviews about Dorne/Iron chapters which I thought were awesome , Dorne was always a huge part of westeros we knew nothing about of and prince doran is actually an interesting character . Also the Ironborn chapters were awesome , the kingsmoot being my fav chapter in the book

I think that overall AfFC is a great book and it serves its purpose - it's supposed to be a book about the aftermath of all the battles the kingdom went through and taking the story to places in westeros we didnt really explore before and how the war affected them

Now that I've finished Feast I can see its importance in the series context, especially Cersei's story and all the mistakes she accumulates during her short regency described at Feast.

Cercei has been one of the most important lannister characters in the series plotting against the Starks and Stannis and her inside enemies in the red keep.

Archived