The Crownlands

mudcrab

Hehe. That post provoked such an instant reaction from me, which I had to retype half a dozen times before just letting it go.

Ok, maybe the choice of words "not much at all" was a bit off mark, but I still think its wrong to throw the slut mark at Cersei (or any woman at all).

It is stated that Harren the Black ruled to the Blackwater Rush, so north of the Blackwater Rush, the Crownlands were part of the Kingdom of The Iron Isles and the Riverlands, and south of the Blackwater Rush, the Crownlands were part of the Stormlands.

When Aegon first landed where what would become King's Landing, it was a fishing village.

Yes, it is stated, but there's nothing about who ruled east of the Gods Eye. It is stated that Harren ruled to the Blackwater Rush, but its not the same as saying he ruled all the way to Blackwater Bay.

We could assume that, like Crackclaw Point, parts of Crownlands were ruled by pretty lords, or by local kings, like House Darklyn. There are not gold of silver mines, no great rivers between the Trident and the Blackwater, and there were no roads. Why waste your men and resources on such a place? Just let the local lords pay lip service, or exact tribute from the locals, or raid their settlements from time to time. Or even better, use them against the Storm Kings.

Hehe. That post provoked such an instant reaction from me, which I had to retype half a dozen times before just letting it go.

It was a joke, and I don't fault Cersei for promiscuity but for using sex to manipulate men.

• 2 weeks later...

The Crowlands were a mix of Riverlands, Stormlands, Westerlands, The Vale, The Reach, it was like a neutral region, and that's why Aegon landed there, it was like ''the Middle'' despite not being the middle for sure

The crownlands were divided up between the Storm Kings, the Reach, and Harren the Black. Aegon decided to build his capital on the spot where he first landed on Westerosi soil and made the surrounding area the crownlands.

I think Crabclaw Point remained independent until Aegon's Conquest thank to its marshes and swamps that made invasion difficult.

I think Crabclaw Point remained independent until Aegon's Conquest thank to its marshes and swamps that made invasion difficult.

We've been specifically told that there were only 7 Kings, and the age of the petty kings with small kingdoms was over. If Crabclaw Point had remained independent, we would have heard it by now.

We've been specifically told that there were only 7 Kings, and the age of the petty kings with small kingdoms was over. If Crabclaw Point had remained independent, we would have heard it by now.

Unless I'm misremembering their talk, Nimble Dick Crabb, that guy from Crabclaw Point Brienne rode with for a time while searching for Dontos and Sansa , told her that Crabclaw Point remained divided into petty independent kingdoms until the Conquest.

Unless I'm misremembering their talk, Nimble Dick Crabb, that guy from Crabclaw Point Brienne rode with for a time while searching for Dontos and Sansa , told her that Crabclaw Point remained divided into petty independent kingdoms until the Conquest.

Those who ruled the riverlands probably considered Crackclaw Point to be part of their kingdom while it was actually a de facto independent state, much like the Burmese kings and later British colonials never tried to control the northern hilly area known as Wa, but considered it to be part of their dominion.

In the 'Wiki Of Ice and Fire' it does say under the 'War of Conquest' (Aegon the Conquerer's conquest of Westeros) that after he went to war against the Riverlands and the Iron Islands, he sent his sister to Crackclaw Point to demand submission from their 'lords'.

So I think that they were at least semi-independent since they weren't involved (or conquered) in the war between The Targaryens and the Iron men.

The spot where King's Landing is now is a quick flight from Dragonstone. If I was going to invade the continent to start a conquest it's where I would land too. It's on the fringes of a few different Kingdoms (The Stormlands, Harron's Land, the Kings of Crackclaw Point/Maidenpool/Duskendale, The Reach) and probably lightly populated with a few fishing villages along the coast and forrest further inland. When landing an army you'd want to establish a base of operations, and in doing so you wouldn't want to get into a fight right off the bat.

Regarding the Crownlands being fertile, they probably aren't. I mean, sure you can raise some crops, but not a whole lot. That's why King's Landing has to import their food from The Reach and, to a lesser extent, the Riverlands.

• 4 months later...

It is stated that Harren the Black ruled to the Blackwater Rush, so north of the Blackwater Rush, the Crownlands were part of the Kingdom of The Iron Isles and the Riverlands, and south of the Blackwater Rush, the Crownlands were part of the Stormlands.

When Aegon first landed where what would become King's Landing, it was a fishing village.

Crab Claw point was rulled by its own kings maidinpool and duskindale likewise, haren the black rulled from the gods eye to the tritent to seagard when he died agon's sister flew on her dragon and demanded there swords for the iron thron, kingslanding and the sorounding castels wern't there or they were small or stand alone towers/castels, the storm king ruled from cape wrath to the kings wood or the boarder of it that is the rough general borders if you watch the bluerey of season 1 it has a rough map of the garden kingdom, the gold kingdom and the storm kingdom.

Crab Claw point was rulled by its own kings maidinpool and duskindale likewise, haren the black rulled from the gods eye to the tritent to seagard when he died agon's sister flew on her dragon and demanded there swords for the iron thron, kingslanding and the sorounding castels wern't there or they were small or stand alone towers/castels

The northern border of the kingswood is the Blackwater Rush. As for your first point see my previous post. According to GRRM, Rosby, Stokeworth and the other castles were there before Aegon's Landing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Crownlands were ruled by petty Kings. It is said in the books that before the Conquest the Darklyns of Duskendale had ruled as kings and attempted to send tax collectors onto the Hook, but they were all killed. The islands were ruled by Valyrians like Velaryon and Bar Emmon. So that leaves places like Rook's Rest, Rosby etc. who probably paid allegiance to Duskendale at some point. That being said, the ironmen probably raided Duskendale, Rosby and any shoreline town, keeping their power from expanding too much. This would explain why most of the Crownlands major strongholds are near the sea, where the need to fortify would be greater than further inland where predatory behaviour by rulers would be relatively more rare. With King's Landing being so close to the sea and at the mouth of the Blackwater Rush, strategically, the ironmen would never allow anyone to fortify that spot as they would have to fight whoever lived there whenever they attempted to sail up the Rush. Therefore, when Aegon arrived, he had what would be a relatively open area to create his future city, as there was probably a little town at such a vital point in the geography, but no great population due to predations of the ironborn.

I think that its made fairly obvious in the books that the borders of many of the Kingdoms were in flux, and that the Crownlands for the most part were able to resist falling to one of the major Kings. The Southern Crownlands belonged to the Storm Kings, but up by Duskendale and Cracklaw point, there were only petty kings. It seems that the main forces in Westeros before the Iron Throne were the Storm Kings and Iron Kings.

Archived