The Heart Has Reasons, of Which Reason Knows Nothing

Winter's Knight

Logic abandons the best of us when it comes to certain characters. The PoV nature f the books gives us a very private view of each character and this naturally excites strong-and occasionally illogical-likes and dislikes.

I am fond of both Daenerys and Cersei in spite of the fact that both share faults that dislike in other characters.

What characters can you not help liking or siding with, in spite of their faults?

Daenerys and Stannis, really. I'd want to slap either of them if I met them in real life, but I love them as characters.

Daenerys is stubborn, narcissistic, hypercritical and in some cases deliberately naive, but yet I really want to see her suceed. Not necessarily gain the Iron Throne, but to come to Westeros to help defeat the Others, and not be seen as a crazy invader. I also don't want her to turn into a villain. I want to see her develop more and grow as a leader and an individual.

It's similar with Stannis. IRL, I can't stand people as rigid as him, but I like that in small ways, he's starting to bend, and I sympathise with his cause and the fact that he believes he's carrying out his duty. I like the fact that he's relatively honest and just, and has an excellent sense of humour.

Bloodraven. Even if he turns out to be evil, he was one of the best Hands the realm has known and the most sympathetic magic user barring Mirri Maz Duur.

Also Stannis - he's too entertaining to die! (Maybe Qyburn can keep his head alive to advise future kings and queens.)

Probably Stannis and Jaime.

My opinion of Tyrion has dropped dramatically after reading the fifth book again. I think that Theon is an extremely interesting, complex figure, but I'm not sure that's quite the same as "liking" him in the same way that I actually like Stannis and Jaime. *shrugs*

Honestly, Tywin Lannister. He's a terrible man but one of my faves. Can't help it.

Also, I think Cersei's POV is hilarious. I wouldn't do a single thing she does, politically, but her thoughts on the people around her are exactly the stuff I think about the people around me, and her "advices" to Sansa are amazing. When she was drunk during the Blackwater Battle and being mean to everyone I was like... "damn I'm Cersei".

ETA: Sandor is one of my faves but I don't really think of him as a guilty-pleasure fave.

I just can't help from liking Jaime. I think he's seriously misunderstood. What can I say. :rolleyes:

I sorta agree. I still have to keep on reminding myself that he pushed an eight year old child out of a window. Though I guess losing his hand may have been intended as a sort of karma, its hard to like him from a moral perspective. I still like him as a character, which is why I have to remind myself.

Archived