Disappointed With Robb (DO NOT READ UNLESS PAST RED WEDDING)

~CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!~

My first ever post, so please DON'T rip my throat out if I am incorrect (most likely). But was anybody else disappointed with Robb's actions in marrying Jeyne and slighting Walder Frey?! Okay, I understand why GRRM did it, to show that he lived up to his name "The Young Wolf" and was ultimately young and nieve, believing Frey would ignore this insult, but I had come to admire how Robb was wiser than his years. Robb had shown countless times with strategy, both on and off the battlefield, that he was as wise and honourable as Ned, where did this sudden complete misjudgement come from?!

Lastly, this is one of VERY FEW scenes that I find is a lot more explained, detailed, in the HBO series than in the book "Hey mum, i'm back, meet my wife yo'?" I may of completely overlooked something, but what gives? I came to think would become the overrall King who settled the realm into peace. I suppose that was too happy ending for GRRM, though.

I don't think he thought Frey would ignore the insult. It was more of a case of him and Jeyne being put together when he was in a vulnerable place, possibly even drugged, and one thing led to another. Then Robb's sense of honor did the rest, he couldn't very well leave the girl deflowered and unwed so he chose to try to restore her honor even though it meant an insult to the Frey's. Putting myself in his place he probably saw it as, I can leave this girl with her life essentially ruined, no good man is ever going to marry her now, or I break a promise to a man whose is supposed to be sworn to his cause.

Really Robb should've tore the Twins down brick by brick when they refused to let him pass the first time he got there. Even if he hadn't broken his word to the Freys do you think they and Bolton wouldn't have found another opportunity to betray him. The Bastard of Bolton already burned his home to the ground and murdered all his people.

Yeah, I think Robb grew to love Jeyne, but he married her first because he felt guilty about dishonoring her by taking her maidenhead, and how that would effect her if he just left her alone like that. That's my opinion on his decision to marry Jeyne in the BOOK.

Now in the HBO show...it appears he falls in love with her because she's a headstrong, knowledgeable and smart young woman who sees him for him. Notice how she acts with him at first ... kinda like she doesn't really care that he's Lord Stark of Winterfell, King of the North. She sees him for himself. I suppose that's why he grew to like her.

• 2 weeks later...

What irked me the most about that whole situation was that she was from a family of Lannister bannermen and alas, via Sybelle, that proved to cause further complications.

I also don't think Rickard Karstark needed to be beheaded - punished yes, but not beheaded.

Archived