Actors acting down to a TV show

Tomer

Just a thought that came cross my mind. alot of times people suggest some actors to play some roles, and get shut down by people saying "he's a big time big screen actor, he wont do the show". Now, will it be that absurd that an actor is a fan of Game of Thrones and will agree to "go down" a notch, and be a part of a show?

Just a thought..

Some of them probably will, but I myself don't want any big names to distract me.

Let's say Charlize Theron is cast. Everyone will go "Oh look, Charlize Theron!", only a small percent will actually think "Oh look, <insert character name>!"

It's distracting. The fantastic thing about GoT is the small amount of well known actors and actresses.

Yeah, a TV show doesn't need huge names. Only if they can really pull off a part (like Sean Bean) they can fill in a role. Otherwise as Carne said, they are very distracting, and there are many people just as, or even more talented than them, and for only a fraction of a cost, and without the nuisance of a familiar face.

Definitely possible for cameo roles. They are a lot less likely to do that for a multiyear commitment though, unless it is a huge role (which there aren't any of those left). Of those parts left, one that I think is the most likely to snag a big name is the Red Viper. It is a cool part, and is of a limited duration.

Alright, I see what you think. But what about using well known actors (who look the part) to draw new viewers?

I'm sure the "sean bean" thing brought a good amount of people to season 1, also myself was hesistated.. really, at the start I thought it was another medival borgias/camelot/tudors series of some sort...

But then I watched the season read the books and now im certinaly a top tier nerd of ASOIAF :)

Alright, I see what you think. But what about using well known actors (who look the part) to draw new viewers?

In one word? Money.

I think they had Sean Bean in S1 for the fame and being right for the role. They were uncertain the show would be successful (most of the people aren't naturally drawn to the fantasy and medieval genre), so they attached a recognizable actor to it.

With such a large cast, CGI expenses, many different locations, costumes etc they spend A LOT.

But your theory can adapt to "known actors", casting aside the "well", if you consider Natalie Dormer and Mackenzie Crook. They are recognizable, have being in The Tudors and Pirates of the Carribeans respectively.

Archived