GRRM Talks Season 3

Westeros

I'm interested to see how they split up the story into 10 episode blocks for the rest of the story - not entirely sure how they will pull off books 4 and 5 at all. Also not sure if its possible to do so with a proper beginning, middle and end and character arcs for each series

If they get to AFFC/ADWD, they will need to completely cut some character arcs.

I'm interested to see how they split up the story into 10 episode blocks for the rest of the story - not entirely sure how they will pull off books 4 and 5 at all. Also not sure if its possible to do so with a proper beginning, middle and end and character arcs for each series

My guess is that they will move certain storylines from AFFC/ADWD to season 4 (the Kingsmoot, Brienne, Arya, Bran's journey through the Land Beyond the Wall). S5 will include most of AFFC/ADWD roughly up to the point when both books converge (ending with Cersei's arrest and Dany flight with Drogon). S6 will then contain the rest of ADWD and the beginning of TWOW including the battles of Winterfell and Mereen.

You've got a lot in Season 5. I imagine that they would split AFFC and ADWD into 2 series as well - and tell the entire elongated story over 2 series, again that creates the problem of where you break in the middle.

If we take that season 3 is going to include the Red Wedding, then I think Jon's arc will end when he escapes the wildling raiding party and Season 4 will be framed by the eventual attack on the wall by the wildlings.

I'm a bit worried about what will happen to Bran because in the books very little actually happens to him after he leaves winterfell. Also he's going to miss the acting of the actress who plays Osha (and is brilliant). I can see them travelling as a group together until the end of Season 3, when she refuses to go back over the wall and goes to Skagos instead.

In fact I can't wait to see how they split up the books for television - it will be a very interesting process to follow

As much as i want to see Belwas right now i am more concerned about Barristan, i really hope they are able to get the actor back to reprise his role for season 3.

Ian McElhinney's return as Barristan the Bold has been confirmed I believe.

I think they did an awesome job on casting for the show so far.

Not all are perfect: ie Robert, Stannis, Ygritte(though I'm growing to like her hotness)

There are so many home runs - Tyrion, Jorah, Ned, Jamie... list goes on and on!

Strange... because Jorah is practically nothing like Jorah from the books, whereas Robert was bang on. Hey ho!

Dillane's Stannis still needs to grow on me. I'm still gutted they never got Mark Strong, tbh.

http://www.askactor.com/images/casts/United_Kingdom/27075/Mark_Strong_27075_13.jpg

^ This. This is smurfing Stannis Baratheon.

Dillane's portrayal has yet to click, but I hold the writing partly resposible for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Dillane is a little different than book Stannis but I have taken a real liking to it.

I'm pretty gutted that Great John Umber is no longer a part, I also wish Belwas was in, but Darrio could probably fill his part with a slightly different twist.

• 2 weeks later...

"No comment" on Strong Belwas. "NO COMMENT" ???

If he is not in the show I will KILL MYSELF, and it will be ALL GEORGE'S FAULT!

Oh what a shame!!! No one cares about belwas its not like he's that important. I can't wait to have barristan back. And having him as belwas' squire is quite ridiculous in any notion. All strong belwas is is comic relief.

I think this season they will start mixing the order of things. Like I think that everything major from the books will be there eventually, but with the reeds pushed back to season 3 and ramsay being in season 3 the order has tossed up. So I wont be surprised if we see events from each of the books from here on out.

Also I wont be surprised if they cut out most of a feast for crows. There are a lot of important character introductions but so many little things happened and so many characters came and went that I feel like the only reason they would film a lot of those scenes would be because GRRM was writing too slow and they were catching up too fast.

I just hope the red wedding doesnt cause so many viewers to stop watching that they get the budget cut haha

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did George RR Martin write for any of the episodes for season 3 and I heard he will make a cameo in season 3 ..anyone know which episodes?

He wrote the Bear and the Maiden Fair episode, and I believe the plan was for him to cameo as a Astapor noble, but for some reason, it either wasn't filmed, or wasn't shown.

Archived