Syrio Forel, dancing master, mistake maker

Mulled Wino

Still waiting on one of the Syrio fans to explain why he would have been sent to the cells to being with when Lannister soliders and KG killed every other Stark supporter in the capital........Considering the fact that he engaged them in direct combat makes it even more laughable.

I'm not saying he ended up in the cells. I'm saying he wasn't killed. Pull yourself together.

I'm not saying he ended up in the cells. I'm saying he wasn't killed. Pull yourself together.

Coming from you, saying "pull yourself together" means absolutely nothing. You've had one and two word rsponses to every post and haven't really made one valid point in the entire thread. Let me know when you actually have an argument.

In other words you aren't worth my time to respond to your posts any further

Who is to say he didn't? He very well could have once Arya and the POV describing the event fled.

Obvioulsy anything's possible but he was just disarmed vs a very well schooled opponent. People experienced in knife/sword fighting dont let opponents rearm themselves. Ever.

Your arguments remind me of Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber..."so you're saying there's a chance.."

Obvioulsy anything's possible but he was just disarmed vs a very well schooled opponent. People experienced in knife/sword fighting dont let opponents rearm themselves. Ever.

Well, there is that story about how Arthur Dayne stopped the fight with Kingswood Brotherhood dude, so he could pick up another another sword. Somehow I don't think that Trant is that type of person though...

Well, there is that story about how Arthur Dayne stopped the fight with Kingswood Brotherhood dude, so he could pick up another another sword. Somehow I don't think that Trant is that type of person though...

But Dayne is said to be the most honorable knight that there ever was, he wouldn't have dared kill the Smiling Knight in anything expect for straight combat. Trant on the other hand is a guy who would beat up a little girl if ordered to.

Benjen Stark was written out because he knows of the major plottwist Martin takes 6+ books to write about, namely R+L=J. If Benjen stuck around long enough to tell Jon this Martin would've spoiled a major part of the ASOFAI storyline. Besides, what would Benjen have done if his brother was excecuted? And wouldn't the NW elect Benjen as LC instead of Jon?

Benjen creats all kinds of problems and has been written out for his convinience.

Syrio serves little to no purpose to the plot. Easy to kill him off.

I dont believe Syrio will return tho the truth of the situation may be discovered by Ayra at some point.

Sure I can. The last time we saw Syrio he was in a fight for his life, he was laying his life on the line for Arya to escape. I'm not the one suggesting something out of the ordinary, the Syrio is alive people are the ones that are claiming that he magically got way from Trant and magically was in two places at one time. So they need to prove it or it's just more senseless, baseless nonsense.

I find it hilarious that people think that with the Lannister's killing every Stark supporter in the city, that they would for some reason take Syrio to the Black Cells. What the hell reason would they have to do that? Syrio was not only a Stark supporter but he engaged them in direct combat. Why wouldn't they kill him like they did everyone else? Why wouldn't they kill him? What reason do the Lannisters have to keep Syrio alive? IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Just because they are both from Bravos absolutely means they are the same person, there aren't alot of people from there or anything.

This is a pretty standard writing tool that Martin uses throughout the series. Syrio disappears without clear explanation and Jaqem H'gar appears soon after. Benjin Stark disappears and Coldhands arrives. Catalyn Stark dies and Lady Stoneheart appears. Barriston Selmy goes thru the same transformation. The Hound. Jeyne Poole disappeared after the attack on the Tower of the Hands and since there was no body, Martin brought her back again, eventually revealing her as the substitute Arya Stark. To completely disregard this is to not understand how Martin writes.

Well sure, we don't physically see his body. But if he were alive, it would have been hinted at. GRRM gave clues that can be interpreted to mean that the Hound lives on the Quiet Isle. (It can still be argued either way). There is no such hint. Based on the circumstances, we can assume that Syrio being alive is highly unlikely.

If I told you that an aeroplane were to fall out of the sky tomorrow and crush your house, and someone else told you it wouldn't, who would you agree with?

Neither me nor the other person can offer proof, but you'd assume it wouldn't happen, since it would be a damn unlikely and bizzare thing to happen. You don't need proof- you don't need to be a fortune teller, to still be pretty certain, and probably objectively correct, in your opinion.

The hint is Jaqem H'gar. The fact that a man who knows Arya true identity and can change his face as he wills isnt a hint? Martin loves disguising characters and he loves red herrings. This may be no more than a false trail laid by the author but the mere fact that he went to the trouble means he wanted to leave doubt about the death of Syrio Forel.

Still waiting on one of the Syrio fans to explain why he would have been sent to the cells to being with when Lannister soliders and KG killed every other Stark supporter in the capital........Considering the fact that he engaged them in direct combat makes it even more laughable.

When we last saw Syrio he was in dire straits. Now thats a surprise. How many chapters and books end with a character possibly being killed? Brienne, Jon, Jamie, Bran, Rickon, Stannis, etc.... It is what he does. Martin isnt afraid to kill people. If he wants u to know a character is dead he describes their death in brutal detail (and even that isnt certain in couple cases).

So what may have happened to Syrio. Well, Trant may have killed him. That's certainly the most logical answer. As it has been pointed out he was a minor character and expendable. The second possibility is Trant didnt bother killing him. Syrio was disarmed when we last glimpsed him and if Trant had clubbed him with the butt of his sword he may have simply left him there to die. Trant's job was to get Arya. The third possibility is Syrio ran for it. The only reason he stayed to fight was to give Arya chance to flee. Having accomplished that Syrio had no reason to try and defeat Trant except stupid pride. What was one Syrio's famous expressions? What do we tell death...not today. Why would anyone who believed that continue in a hopeless fight? I believe he ran ran for it. Trant certainly didnt chase him in his heavy armor. Maybe he escaped the Tower of the Hand or maybe he was captured by the other red cloaks. He was Bravosi after all not a northerner. The guards may not have even known he was working for the Starks.

As too the parallels between Jaqem and Syrio it's all supposition. If Syrio ended up in the black cells instead of dead then it is likely Yoren would have claimed him for the NW. Since Syrio wasnt with the party that went north, he was either dead, escaped or changed his appearance. We know Jaqem was in the cells, we know he could change his face and he also knew who Arya was. Some people claim that Syrio would have helped Arya escape Harrenhel if he had been H'gar. This is bad reasoning. The man wasnt Syrio or H'gar. He was a FM...no one. Those were just roles he played towards an end. He was a professional killer and was only as helpful as his own honor dictated. Jaqem gave Arya three deaths because his religion demanded it. Syrio stood against the red cloaks because his honor wouldnt allow a young girl to be taken by her father's enemies.

Does any of this prove Syrio survived his encounter with Trant? No. Neither is there any proof that he died. What I believe is Syrio and H'gar r both gone from the books. The faceless man who played H'gar may reappear in another form and tell Arya and the readers the true fate of Syrio. Regardless, speculation is one of the joys of these books.

Coming from you, saying "pull yourself together" means absolutely nothing. You've had one and two word rsponses to every post and haven't really made one valid point in the entire thread. Let me know when you actually have an argument.

In other words you aren't worth my time to respond to your posts any further

Your words wound me. I don't know how I shall sleep tonight.

If you take two minutes, you'll see that I have made some arguments complete with quotes from the book.

When last we saw Syrio, he was alive so the burden of proof falls to those who believe otherwise. Seeing him in an unideal situation does not mean he's dead. Please, shower us with your proof and your wisdom, and the mighty wit you possess.

Your arguments remind me of Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber..."so you're saying there's a chance.."

Your well thought out response has set me reeling. The insight you provide is so thought provoking and the argument you make undeniable. This well-written reply has changed my mind. Your intelligence is undeniable and I thank you for setting me straight.

Dayne was already beating his ass, syrio was smacking trant around. I guess that last "ever" was too much eh?

Archived