Syrio Forel, dancing master, mistake maker

Mulled Wino

Yeah, I have to agree with these points brought up by various posters in this thread: One, Syrio didn't have much chance of besting a knight in plate with a weapon he was totally unfamiliar/unskilled with. Two, Syrio was focussed on Arya making it out safely and probably didn't want to reach for a sword, which would have made Trant charge. Until Arya left and ran, he was buying time. Three, Very good point, Ned was the rightful regent, so Cersei is the one who seized power.

For the first sword of Braavos, bending over and picking up a sword before he gets slashed doesn't seem like a very dangerous move to me.

Apparently Syrio disagreed with you. Or Trant did.

Quite probably that's exactly what Syrio tried (dangerous or not, its the last available option). But it turned out he was wrong.

Syrio is 100% dead there is no doubt about it I asked several times in the other thread for proof that he and the FM were the same person and nothing of use was given. The guy is dead and people have to learn to live with it. Him being alive is about as ridiculous as the "Ned is alive" theory that is out there.

As for the fight, Syrio wouldn't have had a chance against Trant with any sword not even his own Bravo sword. He simply was trying to distract the men long enough for Arya to escape which was successful.

Yeah, its pretty weird. Trant was wearing full plate though, no? If so Syrio probably still didn't stand much of a chance, even with a proper sword. Although to be fair GrrM likes his fights of the nimble against the heavily armoured, (Bronn-Vardis, Greogr-Viper) so this doesn't really hold either.

Barristan Selmy beat that pit fighter who was wearing no armour while he was. Victarion Greyjoy wore plate in his boarding action against lightly armoured salors.

In general wearing plate while your opponent seems like a huge advantage to me. However that doesn't mean that the guy in plate always wins depending on the conditions.

Still I consider Syrio dead. I thought he was amazing enough wounding/killing several men at once with a wooden sword. It's insane to think he'd beat a well trained armoured knight with just a wooden sword.

Syrio could be dead, dead before he went to KL, replaced by a FM?

This FM then changed face after the Trant fight (assuming he lived, we don't yet know the exact outcome) and then depending on exactly when the 3 in the black cells that Ned had given to Yoren left them, could said FM now be one of them, yes I'm thinking of Jaqen because so far there is no known reason for him being in the damn cells and an FM.

Syrio could be dead, dead before he went to KL, replaced by a FM?

This FM then changed face after the Trant fight (assuming he lived, we don't yet know the exact outcome) and then depending on exactly when the 3 in the black cells that Ned had given to Yoren left them, could said FM now be one of them, yes I'm thinking of Jaqen because so far there is no known reason for him being in the damn cells and an FM.

Just..........no :/

Syrio is 100% dead there is no doubt about it I asked several times in the other thread for proof that he and the FM were the same person and nothing of use was given. The guy is dead and people have to learn to live with it. Him being alive is about as ridiculous as the "Ned is alive" theory that is out there.

As for the fight, Syrio wouldn't have had a chance against Trant with any sword not even his own Bravo sword. He simply was trying to distract the men long enough for Arya to escape which was successful.

Completely agree, although if Syrio had had his own sword I think he definitely would have had a chance. Even if the odds are against him, he is still extremely skilful.

I'd love for Syrio to be alive but he isn't. And if he is he's 'Jaquen' not Syrio, I like Syrio not Jaquen. Furthermore why would a FM be pretending to be a sword instructor?

Meryn Trant is refered to be Jaime as the most dangerous of the Kingsguard (after Jaime,) in his element, with his sword, in his armour, he'd be unstoppable. In the show it's different. If Syrio picked a sword up he could have easily cut Trant's throat out. STUPID DESIGN!

I'd love for Syrio to be alive but he isn't. And if he is he's 'Jaquen' not Syrio, I like Syrio not Jaquen. Furthermore why would a FM be pretending to be a sword instructor?

If Syrio picked a sword up he could have easily cut Trant's throat out. STUPID DESIGN!

Why would a FM mask as an acolyte to the maesters? Or a criminal bound for the Wall? That said Jacquen does not equal Syrio.

The First Sword of Braavos' honour dictates that he beat his foes with a wooden sword of course.

For once I actually agree with you. It was pretty bloody stupid that he never picked up one of the real swords lying around, readily at hand.

Lol,

There was a ppint in the fight when he punksd out the 5 guards and there was a pause in the action before he fought Trant, he had time to pick up a sword.

In the fight Syrio was teeing off on Trant's armour to no avail, he definitely would have had an outside chance with a real sword.

Meryn Trant is refered to be Jaime as the most dangerous of the Kingsguard (after Jaime,) in his element, with his sword, in his armour, he'd be unstoppable. In the show it's different. If Syrio picked a sword up he could have easily cut Trant's throat out. STUPID DESIGN!

Agreed, but Trant is considered dangerous because he's unpredictable, not an especially fearsome fighter.

Why is it assumed he didn't? We don't see anything after Arya leaves.

While Arya was there, he was busy keeping himself between her and the guards, with a knight of the kingsguard standing with sword in hand. It's not the ideal time to reach for a sword on the ground.

Why is it assumed he didn't? We don't see anything after Arya leaves.

While Arya was there, he was busy keeping himself between her and the guards, with a knight of the kingsguard standing with sword in hand. It's not the ideal time to reach for a sword on the ground.

He had time before Arya fled. When she left, Trant and Syrio were already locked in mortal combat. At that point there was no time.

The sword is part of his arm. Can you drop part of your arm? No.

Dude has 2 arms.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure that there are several inaccuracies within this post. First, didn't Jaime refer to Mandon Moore, not Meryn Trant? And also, I believe that his comments concerned Moore's unpredictability and hard-to-read face.

Archived