A change in Maester Aemon

Sigrid

It is established in Game of Thrones that Aemon has made great efforts to separate himself from political affairs of Westeros and not choose sides. Given that, I thought it was odd when Aemon said he wanted to go to Danaerys and help her.

What is it about her and her dragons that would make him want to go into action that the threat against his family members did not? Every other time he chose the Wall. This time he wished he could have been one of the heads of the dragon.

And the oddity aside, I really wished that he could have gone to Dany, because he would have been a wonderful resource about her family history and ruling.

We recently discussed this in Heresy. We suspect that he went to the Wall as part of a mission related to the Prince Who Was Promised. Notice he says something like "Rhaegar... we both assumed it was him." That means he was in contact with Rhaegar while at the Wall and discussed TPWWP with him. There is more evidence, but it include ADWD spoilers (though it is not yet proven. So do not worry I am not spoiling anything for you).

We recently discussed this in Heresy. We suspect that he went to the Wall as part of a mission related to the Prince Who Was Promised. Notice he says something like "Rhaegar... we both assumed it was him." That means he was in contact with Rhaegar while at the Wall and discussed TPWWP with him. There is more evidence, but it include ADWD spoilers (though it is not yet proven. So do not worry I am not spoiling anything for you).

Very interesting! I will pay attention to this while reading Dance with Dragons. I am interested in hearing more about this prophecy. It seems to be the same one that:

- made Rhaegar set aside his books and pick up a sword

- Rhaegar referred to in Dany's vision at the House of the Undying

- Melisandre is operating under

Very interesting! I will pay attention to this while reading Dance with Dragons. I am interested in hearing more about this prophecy. It seems to be the same one that:

- made Rhaegar set aside his books and pick up a sword

- Rhaegar referred to in Dany's vision at the House of the Undying

- Melisandre is operating under

Melisandre believes the PWWP and Azor Ahai Reborn are the same, but many (including me) believe that they are two separate people.

He probably didn't like Stannis, Melisandre and rest of their company interfering so he lost a part of faith in Night's Watch. Also Dany is last (known) Targaryen, except him, that's a big reason too... And the last reason is dragons, tell me is there anybody who wouldn't like to ride one :D

I don't believe it's that "the last Targaryen" thing, there's no indication that he cared much about Dany and/or Viserys before (and they were "the last" for over a decade).

Since I like the character, I'll take what he said at face value: what he cared about was saving the realm from the Others, just as a good little Black Brother was supposed to, and he believed Dany with her dragons was just what the doctor ordered. I don't suspect that suddenly the ancient dying man felt taste for a game of thrones.

shadow fox - maybe it wasn't Rhaegar that a Maester Aemon was talking about but Bloodraven who was at the wall at the same time as Maester Aemon. Bloodraven was a Targ as well.

Aplogies, this may be considered spoilerish.

He says Rhaegar. If you mean the "we" refers to Aemon and BR, then yes, possibly. I will have to look at the text to see if there is enough room for that possibility. But as of now, I think he meant Rhaegar since we know Rhaegar believed himself to be TPWWP. I do not doubt (more so, I support the idea) that BR was in "cahoots" with Aemon and they both had some higher mission than just living, serving, and dying. They knew something more..

From ADWD:

Aemon to Sam: "The prophecy... my brother's dream... Lady Melisandre has misread the signs. Stannis... Stannis has some of the dragon blood in him, yes. His brothers did as well. Rhaella, Egg's little girl, she was how they came by it... their father's mother... she used to call me Uncle Maester when she was a little girl. I remembered that, so I allowed myself to hope... perhaps I wanted to... we all deceive ourselves, when we want to believe. Melisandre most of all, I think. The sword is wrong, she has to know that... light without heat... an empty glamor... the sword is wrong, and the false light can only lead us deeper into darkness, Sam."

Archived