GRRM: "Book 6 of Ice & Fire won't be published until 2014

I see how he can get Winds of Winter out before the show catches up to where it needs to film that material, but it seems literally impossible to me at this point for him to get A Dream of Spring out before the show catches up to that. Not in a mean way, or a complaining way, I just honestly don't see how there is any possibility of it happening.

its possible, if he manages to publish WOW in 2014.

2013 and 2014: Book 3 in Season 3 and 4

2015 and 2016: Book 4 and Book 5 in Season 5 and 6

2017 and 2018: Book 6 in Season 7 and 8

if GRRM gets Dream of Spring finished 4 years after Winds of Winter, the show won't have to delay any season. even if it takes him 5 years, the show will only have a one year gap before it can finish up the tv series.

I think he will need to buckle down and start writing if he doesn't want the series to overcome him. His problem right now is he has to many other obligations, and he require certain conditions for writing (being at home alone).

At this point the TV show has two huge factors against a proper conclusion. HBO doesn't let series run that long with the exception of The Sopranos every notable show has ranged from 3-5 seasons or even less in the case of similarly expensive shows like Rome.

Although Thrones is hugely popular HBO might give David and Dan some leeway and a heads up that they want them to wrap things up. I wouldn't be surprised if AFFC/ADWD were merged into 1 season and then they wrapped up the show after that with their own version.

GRRM surely wont get the next book out until 2015-2016. 2014 is not happening

Best case scenario HBO lets Thrones run AFFC/ADWD for 2 seasons and George gets TWOW out and they can get two more seasons out of that material. Very unlikely though

Summer of 2014 has as the earliest time of TWoW's release has always been my stance, so this comes as no surprise.

It's probably the most ideal time for release too, since that would allow three years for ADoS to come out in 2017, the year of the 7th season of the show, which would probably allow for ADoS stuff to start appearing in Season 8, depending on how long it takes to get through AFfC and ADwD. Of course, I could envision ADoS and the corresponding season of the show following it in the same year if the books take longer than three or four years each, since D&D are privy to how the series ends and they did receive advance copies of ADwD. Of course, if there are 8 books, this all goes to shit.

The problems that led to the delays in AFFC and ADWD have been ironed out so there's no reason to think TWOW will take any longer to write than ASOS. I'm optimistic GRRM will have it ready by his 'hoped for' date.

I also imagine that when HBO bought the rights to ASOIF they were given an approximate date for each book and the schedule of seasons will be set with that in mind.

His problem right now is he has to many other obligations

Actually, that's our problem; for GRRM those other obligations or commitments are probably what stops his working life from becoming boring and helps him to stay motivated.

The REALLY concerning question, is whether or not the rights that HBO have acquired allow them to produce and air ADOS even if George hasn't published it yet?

Meaning that they obviously know how the series ends, and what the key events are, and if George falls behind, could they tell him stuff you, we have committments to meet and are therefore we're going to write our episodes in advance of the book coming out?

If so, it will spoil the entire last book for true fans who have been reading the series since the 1990's.

I think it's foolish to think that the series will last for 9 seasons. And IMO, there isn't enough significant material for that many seasons.

Season 3-5 can contain all the material from the already published books and having Dany in Meereen for any longer than that would be suicide, IMO.

[mod] That's really more than enough uninformed speculation about possible future series of the TV show that might never be commissioned. This thread is about new information about the release date of the next book, contained in the linked interview. It is only about that information. It is not about book 7, series 6 or anything else.

ETA - I'm going to make this absolutely clear: any further posts that are not on the specific topic will be deleted. [/mod]

2014 would be great! Im not too worried about whether or GoT catches up or doesn't get renewed. I just want the books first and foremost. Im hoping for the series to be completed by 2017 but if thats not the case I guess I'll just hang out for some more D & E to fill in the time. But yeah 2014 would be superb.

As someone who first got his hands on a slightly worn copy of Game of Thrones in 1996 or 1997 (can't even remember anymore it's been so long, haha), nobody fault me if I don't mark my calendar quite yet.

But hey, I'd rather it be good than rushed. Though I hope the editorial process is a bit tighter on this one. That's the only way I see him finishing it by 2014. He over-wrote the hell out of Feast for Crows and it turned into two books. Too many POV characters, too much unnecessary wandering from the main narrative. Poor Dany has been in a holding pattern, not doing anything of interest, waiting for the rest of the story to catch up to her since about halfway through Storm of Swords, and he just keeps churning out chapters for her.

As someone who first got his hands on a slightly worn copy of Game of Thrones in 1996 or 1997 (can't even remember anymore it's been so long, haha), nobody fault me if I don't mark my calendar quite yet.

But hey, I'd rather it be good than rushed. Though I hope the editorial process is a bit tighter on this one. That's the only way I see him finishing it by 2014. He over-wrote the hell out of Feast for Crows and it turned into two books. Too many POV characters, too much unnecessary wandering from the main narrative. Poor Dany has been in a holding pattern, not doing anything of interest, waiting for the rest of the story to catch up to her since about halfway through Storm of Swords, and he just keeps churning out chapters for her.

Somehow I wish I read Thrones back in 1996, which is impossible since I didn't even celebrate my first nameday on the release day, but on the other side I hate waiting so maybe it's better that I caught up with the books last september, after I saw the first season of the series.

I consider 2014 to be fairly unrealistic. I think George was working on the basis that, if he has managed to get up to 400 pages since ADWD's publication, then that's nearly a third of the book done (and there is no reason for TWoW to be as long as a ADWD; it could be shorter, if GRRM manages to get the story to a decent end-point in that volume) already. Which is obviously great, except for the number of times this kind of predicting went south on ADWD.

It is possible, however, that since he has now rejoined the main flow of the series and where he's been planning to go for years (AFFC and most of ADWD were created on-the-fly with no pre-planning, whilst the ending of the series is something he's been thinking about for over two decades now), that these chapters will come a lot faster. J. Michael Straczynski (SF scriptwriter) said that during most of the writing of his TV show Babylon 5, he averaged a script every five to seven days. When he got to Season 4 and the climax of all of these storylines and ideas, he was able to bash out scripts in two to three days, as he knew where he was going and in some cases had been thinking about these scenes and storylines for years ahead of time.

I still think Christmas 2015 and into early 2016 is the most likely publication time for ADWD. But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this :)

I consider 2014 to be fairly unrealistic. I think George was working on the basis that, if he has managed to get up to 400 pages since ADWD's publication, then that's nearly a third of the book done (and there is no reason for TWoW to be as long as a ADWD; it could be shorter, if GRRM manages to get the story to a decent end-point in that volume) already. Which is obviously great, except for the number of times this kind of predicting went south on ADWD.

It is possible, however, that since he has now rejoined the main flow of the series and where he's been planning to go for years (AFFC and most of ADWD were created on-the-fly with no pre-planning, whilst the ending of the series is something he's been thinking about for over two decades now), that these chapters will come a lot faster. J. Michael Straczynski (SF scriptwriter) said that during most of the writing of his TV show Babylon 5, he averaged a script every five to seven days. When he got to Season 4 and the climax of all of these storylines and ideas, he was able to bash out scripts in two to three days, as he knew where he was going and in some cases had been thinking about these scenes and storylines for years ahead of time.

I still think Christmas 2015 and into early 2016 is the most likely publication time for ADWD. But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this :)

I expect Winds to be longer than Dance or any other book in the series. There's so much going on and we only have two books left end this journey.

I expect Winds to be longer than Dance or any other book in the series. There's so much going on and we only have two books left end this journey.

Dance and Storm are at the absolute upper limit of what can be published in one volume. Winds cannot be longer than either of them, as if it is it will have to be cut or split into smaller volumes.

Dance and Storm are at the absolute upper limit of what can be published in one volume. Winds cannot be longer than either of them, as if it is it will have to be cut or split into smaller volumes.

Just as big as Dance and Storm then. Didn't know that was the limit. Apparently the limit is lower in Holland, since both Storm and Dance have been split in two volumes here.

I've wondered if that's the absolute physical limit or if it's just what the publisher is comfortable with in terms of cost vs. pricing. Because there have certainly been other novels published in the last few decades with longer word counts.

Archived