GRRM: "Book 6 of Ice & Fire won't be published until 2014

Well GRRM did say that what took him so long with ADWD was untangling the "Meerenese Knot" Then TWOW shouldn't take as long. Assuming that he succeeded in untangling it rather than figuring out to postpone untangling it anyway.

It saddens me that 2014 is actually GOOD news. :bang: If it were to come out saaaayyyyyy tomorrow! THAT would be good news. The book is possibly more that 2 years away! Then I'll read it in 2 weeks and then wait ANOTHER 4 years.

This is absoluetly the LAST series of books I read a WORD of before its all done. The book just doesn't seem to be a priority of his IMO. He is appearing EVERYWHERE...does interviews and whatnots every other day...and has the show only LOOSELY based on his work to deal with. How does he have time to write at all? I just don't understand. I don't mean to sound like a dick....but seriously...I don't understand! Won't there be plenty of time for all these interviews and shows and conventions AFTER the 2 remaining books are done????

2014....pfft........hope I still care by then.

I've wondered if that's the absolute physical limit or if it's just what the publisher is comfortable with in terms of cost vs. pricing. Because there have certainly been other novels published in the last few decades with longer word counts.

Not many. AFFC and ADWD are hefty tomes to cart around for those of us who like to read on the fly - and are still wedded to actual books rather than e-readers.

I'm expecting something around around ACOK length. The story should be tighter by now, all the plots look to have a clear purpose and plausible and swift resolutions are available for all of them. So 2014 is definitely achievable but if I have one reservation it is that GRRMs publishers will want to release it to tie in with the end of a season of the TV show for publicity purposes and a mid-2014 date may be a tad too soon. For that reason alone the date could slip to mid-2015.

[mod] Again: this thread is not about the TV series. It's about the release date of TWOW, and specifically about the information about that date in the interview in the OP.

Any more off-topic posts and the topic will have to be closed. [/mod]

George doesn't really say it's coming in 2014. He indicates that it won't be this year, it won't be next year, but he hopes that 2014 could happen. It's not a deadline, it's a hope.

At the same round table, he indicates that he has about 200 pages more-or-less in final form, but also about 200 pages in partial form, which none of the Spanish media seem to be noting.

You can watch the round table interview (use headphones, audio is quite low) at the SSM collection

Thanks for link.

"...pero el día tiene 24 horas, me quedan dos tochos y hay quien dice que voy lento"

"...but the day has 24 hours, I have two books left, and there are those who say I'm going too slow"

I wonder who are this people that are complaining about his writing speed... :)

People here have shockingly short memories. Look at how long it took Dance to finally get written. I am surprised that GRRM even mentioned any kind of date whatsoever in an interview.

About waiting: been there done that with The Dark Tower books. Waiting after Wizard& Glass was painfull (6-7 years iirc)..but it thought me something: I'd rather wait than to get an avarage-disappointing book. S. King wrote and released BOOK 5,6 and 7 in 3 years (first 4 books took like 18 years) and boy, last 3 sucked. Lost plot points, ridicilous conclusions, stupid page fillers.. if the price of getting AOIAF books faster is THAT, no thanks, I have plenty of other books to read thanks to Wertzone and Aidan Moher.

I am also not too woried about (even writing this shames me) GRRM dying before series end, sure it would hurt a lot but I learned appreciating unfinished storylines too, after Carnivalé :) -though I'm sure if it happened they would just hire someone and make him finish the remaining books, this cow is way too fat not to milk)

I think he'll get the last two finished quicker. He ulimately ended up changing his original plan of a time lapse filled in with flashbacks when he wrote AFFC and ADWD, so I suspect those two will likely be the most difficult ones for him to write.

Now that the story is set for people and events to converge, I think the writing may move quicker.

It's a dark thing to speak of, but does GRRM have anybody who he's trained/taught himself and who he will give author's rights of the series to in case he dies?

I seem to remember hearing that he said he wouldn't allow anyone else to finish the series in case of his death. So lets hope he doesn't procrastinate too much on releasing the next book. Although I think HBO would write the end without him if they had to, but that would just stink.

That question has been asked, and answered in the negative, in various interviews that are available online (in the SSM, for a start).

Robert Jordan also used to answer the same question in the negative, very much so even. Still, when push came to shove, he changed his mind and supported Brandon Sanderson (who has been doing a sterling job with it, to).

so if he has 200 pages done and given he's saying 2014, I would imagine something in the neighborhood of 700+ pages will be the goal for Winds of Winter, if he's planning to do 200 pages per year? That sounds a bit light, given that ADWD was 1000+ pages and there a tons of plot lines to finish.

Martin has in fact allowed that if was terminally ill, he may rethink things.

But presently, if he gets hit by a bus tomorrow, there are no provisions in place for someone else to continue the novels.

I'm older than GRRM, I need him to write faster :drunk: ... I am somewhat worried that GRRM has lost control of the story arcs... There are lots of plots to finish... I am not sure it can be completed in two more books.

Archived