GRRM: "Book 6 of Ice & Fire won't be published until 2014

I think if pushed came to shove about his slow writing pace, he may abandon his other projects and solely work on ASOIAF so that he can get it done and dusted, instead of jumping around projects (Martin published a list of his current projects on his blog in early June and the list is quite long).

Also, if he found out he was (I feel bad saying it) dying or was really ill, he would finish ASOIAF, since it is his main project...

A 2014 release date sound reasonable, since he has 100 page written and over 200 pages of Manuscript written by March 2012 and he plans on having the manuscript at 1500 pages. He didn't really begin writing Winds till January 2012 anyway, so 200 pages in two/three months is not too bad.

Also, he has the determination to do it...

Had an awful dream last night, I dreamed that I had a copy of Winds of Winter in my hands, but I could not open it, went to the back of the book there was a random family tree of House Targaryen with the name Jon. Got all excited then woke up, think I am having serious with-drawl symptoms.

I think it will be released by 2014. I hope and pray it will be early 2014 or even 2013 but I'll settle for anytime during 2014. GRRM has stated in interviews he was very sorry for the long waits between books in the past and he wouldn't let it happen again. Also, the HBO series has sky-rocketed the popularity and success of GRRM's novels. He has never had this much anticipation, excitement, and pressure to put out a novel and I really think he wants to make all the fans happy and deliver ASAP.

He has also stated numerous times that he hates commenting on release dates because of his past failures to meet them so who knows? Maybe 2014 is a complete Over-Shot or just complete BS and if he makes it, good, if he gets it out before... he becomes a god. and if it doesnt come out until 2015 or later he can fall back on the fact that he never said 2014 was actually in any way shape or form a projected release date. I'm hoping that he will surprise us and release it in 2013. :) :) :)

Having only discovered ASoIF when HBO began airing the series, I had the luxury of reading the 5 books back to back. The year 2014 seems an eternity to me.

Some part of me says, "GRRM, please don't give me a possible release date because if it doesn't happen, I am really going to be angry, stressed, frustrated...etc."

But then the other part of me says, "Do you really want sub-par writing or incomplete POV's as the price of a shorter wait? And don't use etc. in conversation, it sounds stupid."

So, I am going to pretend like 2016 is the release date and anything earlier will be a great surprise.

I have great empathy for all who stuck by this series from the very beginning.

[mod] One other thing: we consider it in poor taste to speculate about the author's likely lifespan, or make comments about his health, age, weight, or other factors in connection with that. We do warn people that

It is worth pointing out also that although GRRM himself is not a member of this board, many of his friends and family are, and as a result we treat posts about him as if he were a member.

and we certainly wouldn't expect people to make such comments about another member. [/mod]

GRRM has stated in interviews he was very sorry for the long waits between books in the past and he wouldn't let it happen again.

While the former is true, the latter isn't. He obviously would hope to get the books out faster but he would never guarantee that. As you said yourself, he hates commenting on release dates and saying "it wouldn't happen again" would be commenting on release dates. He wants to get the book "right".

He is definitely conscious that he has a lot on his plate right now. He made a big post on his need to say "No" more often. He likes having a few things to do but like everybody, he knows that he too needs to find the right balance.

He has also stated numerous times that he hates commenting on release dates because of his past failures to meet them so who knows?

He probably will regret making that comment in Spain. Especially since people have already misinterpreted it. These seem to be the correct interpretations...

He indicates that it won't be this year, it won't be next year, but he hopes that 2014 could happen. It's not a deadline, it's a hope.

Well, he doesn't really says it comes out in 2014, only that it won't be before that.

Instead, people will ignore that and in 2 years time, people here will be complaining about how GRRM has once more broken a so called "deadline". Oh well.

2014 would be a good graduation present. I feel like it is possible but you can't really assume it. George has been traveling a lot this past year and so his writing speed might increase a lot after the conventions in the upcoming months end.

The other thing to note is that now that he is in Act III of the book things should be a lot less confusing as this is the part he has essentially been waiting for, most end-games will come to light and so he shouldn't take as long to write it out.

But I mean anything can happen, we'll know through his blog posts about how much progress he can get done. I feel like if he has 200 pages complete and another 200 is semi-finished form thats a pretty good pace considering all the other stuff he has been doing. (If I am not mistaken his main focus upto this point has been the supplements to the ASOIAF world.) Once he has that finished I feel like he'd be able to give more time to WOW. For now its anyones guess.

Children of summer ;) He is just slightly behind my estimate for 2020. Feast and Dance can not be used by HBO anyway . They will produce Storm and wrap it up in maybe 2 seasons using their own script. GRRM is not under any pressure at all from HBO

Archived