Barristan as opposed to Jaime

These are two of my favorite characters and I respect both for different reasons I wonder what the general opinion is on who is more honorable. On one hand we have barristan the bold who never forswore his vows and is loyal and obedient to a fault almost. And then there is jaime who seems like an arrogant dishonorable knight of the Kingsguard who forswears and becomes infamous as the kingslayer, but when you find out deeper into why that happened you almost sympathize and admire his decision.

What do you guys think it would be cool to hear the difference of opinion on tje subject

Something jaime said to the degree of: You have so many oaths as a knight, protect the innocent, obey your king, obey your father. but what if your king murders the innocent and what if your father dispises the king? what do you do?

I think both broke an oath at least one time during their service just as kingsguard. Both have redeeming qualities as individuals that resemble honor but I think barristan is the most honorable.

yes i am definitely leaning towards Barristan myself i mean he never really dishonored himself but he also regrets standing idly by while some of the stuff with Aerys II went down and it goes in depth into it in ADWD. plus even though he was sworn to defend Aerys he still bent the knee when Robert usurped the throne. whereas Jaime was sick and tired of Aerys madness, (ie Rickard and Brandon's execution,his mistreatment of his wife the queen,) and then finally he is about to burn a city of innocents and tells jaime to kill his father if i am not mistaken. Jaime surely broke his vow and dishonored his blade but then again he feels like it was for the greater good. Barristan wonders how many people would have been saved if he hadnt saved Aerys at duskendale so its crazy how black and white turns into shades of grey the more you delve into the series

Archived