New theory on the hooded man in Winterfell

houseHB

Could the hooded man that Theon sees in Winterfell be Harwin who rides with the BWB, in ASOS? Harwin fits the description of someone who would recognize Theon because they knew each other most-likely because Harwin visited Winterfell. What if Lady Stoneheart has infiltrators from the brotherhood in places where she want's revenge on the people living inside? Harwin could know his way around Winterfell from the times he visited, which could be why he is being so discreet about his sneaking around.

Highly unlikely, we just saw him in the scene with Brienne's "trial" at the very end of AFFC, and he shows no sign of having done anything or intending to do anything but ride along with Beric's band and then the Lady Stoneheart branch since first going to the Riverlands with Ned.

its hard to say really. I mean. Brienne got caught and then was almost hung and then went to get jaime and then they disappeared. and we learn that jaime disappeared through cersei, so there must have been a decent chunk of time for them to move on/send word back to kings landing about jaime being gone. in all of that time, its seems plausible that he could have gone directly up to winterfell. especially if he beat the majority of the snow.

not saying i agree with that or think its him. but playing devils advocate so to speak i guess

I thought he was a candidate but the trial in AFFC has be doubting it.

My flier is on one of the Glovers, Galbart or Robbett. And who was the guy who was bringing Ned's bones to Winterfell? He could have gone there and hidden in the crypts.

All just fliers though, this ones a real mystery, IMO.

i thought it was mance since the spearwives he left with are there

Is there any evidence supporting it not being Mance? I have only read the chapter once so far, but while reading I also thought it to be Mance. Though based on the GRRM red herring formula I am skeptical, just because it seemed like it was obviously him.

I thought at first it was Mance, but then when I read again, it seemed that "Abel" was busy playing tunes in the hall.

Then after that, I thought it was one of Manderly's men (i.e. "random hate-filled northman").

The Theon's Alter-Ego idea does have a nice ring to it.

Another character that makes me say aloud when I'm reading "who the fuck are you?" I've seen the Davos theory and like it because when he see's the missing fingers he laughs. But hell based on that it could be Greatjon though I think Theon would recognize his voice.

Harwyn lived at Winterfell and that's how he knew Arya, so yeah, I thought about the Hooded Man being him too. It makes sense as I think Lady Stoneheart would have wanted to send a spy to Winterfell if/when she would have heard about Ramsay marrying "Arya", and Harwyn would be a good choice as he knows Winterfell and as a Northman he would be at ease in the snow. Also, Theon thought the Hooded Man looked familiar so Harwyn having lived in Winterfell would have seen him around. But, like some have pointed out, I don't know that the timing works and I can't remember if the BWB and LS heard about the Ramsay-Arya marriage.

It couldn't have been Mance. Mance was Abel at that point and Theon had just left Abel singing in the main room inside as he ran into the hooded man.

if the timeline allowed for it then id take this theory seriously. It does make sense that Harwyn would know all around WF very well. Other than that i see Howland, Theon himself, one of the Umbers, Glover or the BF as all possibilites. Most likely its a random Northerner nobody knows

The Hooded Man was surpirsed to see Theon, IIRC. That means he has to be someone either from Winterfell or from Robb's army that knew Theon before he turned traitor, but also someone who thought he was dead. Since everyone who arrived at Winterfell with the Bolton's seems to be perfectly well aware that Theon is Reek this seems to mostly rule any of them out. My favourite theory i've seen on this is that the Hooded Man is Benjen, although it seems very unlikely.

Could the hooded man that Theon sees in Winterfell be Harwin who rides with the BWB, in ASOS?

Possible, but my money would be on Robett Glover. Because of the 'cloak and dagger' reference in the chapter were he fetches Davos from his cell and brings him to Manderley and Wex.

Archived