Who are you an unrepetntant shill for?

Alric Stark

I'm a Theon defender, once he got to the Iron Islands he really didn't have much choice but to go along with the attack on the North. If he refused he would have been imprisoned and branded a traitor. Once he was going along with the invasion, the way he took Winterfel was actually a really smart move, he probably shouldn't have tried to hold it but being arrogant doesn't make him evil. After that everything he did was what he thought was neccissary to have the respect of both the people he was trying to control and his own men who were disloyal and would turn on him for one misstep. It's not like he enjoyed doing what he was doing, he just felt like he had gotten himself too far in already and was left with no alternatives, when offered an alternative, the night's watch, he was more than willing to take it. I still hold he wouldn't have actually killed Bran and Rickon if he found them and most of what he did do was under the influence of a really bad advisor.

I also tend to be a shill for Sansa, Stannis, and the Hound. On the other end of the spectrum, unlike most people I just can't find myself defending Jaimie, it would help if he was at least willing to show some remorse for his past actions.

At first I thought no one. Then I realized I couldn't list a single reason why someone might rail against Doran Martell. I know I've read a number of posts here that do just that, but apparently I dismissed the criticisms so quickly that I can't remember a single one. That's rather unusual for me; I have a habit of considering alternate viewpoints, even if I know I disagree or think they're ridiculous. So yeah, Doran.

Jaime, Theon, the Hound, although I wouldn't actually defend the Bran thing - but ANYTHING ELSE. Same with the Hound/Mycah. I actually thought everything Theon did is defensible at some level, and not much worse than what other "nice guys" do in war, but no one cares because they do it against the bad guys. He was more incompetent than anything else.

Soft spot for Roose Bolton and Tywin.

Sandor Clegane & Aery II's Kingsguard - It is not their place to judge it was their's to serve, obey, protect. Areo Hotah has it right.

Ser Jaime - he did it for love!....that love just happened to be for his sister and the act was pushing a small children out a window high up a tower.

Lord Wyman Manderly - The North Remembers!

Every member of the Tyrell family has a permanent moral Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card in my book.

All the Stark kids will get a lot of leeway with me when they start settling their respective scores.

Pretty sure there's nothing Asha can do that I wouldn't justify/excuse.

I'm a Theon defender, once he got to the Iron Islands he really didn't have much choice but to go along with the attack on the North. If he refused he would have been imprisoned and branded a traitor. Once he was going along with the invasion, the way he took Winterfel was actually a really smart move, he probably shouldn't have tried to hold it but being arrogant doesn't make him evil. After that everything he did was what he thought was neccissary to have the respect of both the people he was trying to control and his own men who were disloyal and would turn on him for one misstep. It's not like he enjoyed doing what he was doing, he just felt like he had gotten himself too far in already and was left with no alternatives, when offered an alternative, the night's watch, he was more than willing to take it. I still hold he wouldn't have actually killed Bran and Rickon if he found them and most of what he did do was under the influence of a really bad advisor.

We can take this off-thread if need be since it's maybe off-topic, but I'm curious: Do you think the above is true for HBO!Theon as well? If you've seen it, that is. I don't have an answer for that question myself (so no need for defense here ;)); just curious about what Theon advocates think of the portrayal. I read the books while Season 2 was airing, and I think the show influenced how I read the character.

` I think the show makes Theon look like an idiot. He's always been insecure, but at the same time he's always proven himself. I don't like how they've portrayed him at all.

ETA: Oh yeah, on topic, I'm a Ned-head. I'll argue and defend his decisions all day long.

Jaime. I know he did AWFUL things, but ... hell, I'm not even going to try to defend myself here. LOL I love Jaime, I will always love Jaime, and I can't be convinced otherwise.

I also find myself coming to the defense of Ser Jorah, Stannis, Theon, Catelyn, and Sansa quite often.

Archived