The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

I have a question.

How do the titles work as far as Lord and Lady go?

For example in the beginning it's obvious that Catlyn is Lady Stark. Would her daughters be referred to as Lady Sansa and Lady Arya? (They would not be Lady Stark, I imagine.) But then when Robb weds his Jeyne would be Lady Stark as he was Lord Stark then. But when Catlyn dies (if Sansa hadn't been married) would Sansa have been called Lady Stark? More importantly when Sansa marries Tyrion, is she Lady Sansa or Lady Lannister? She says they've made her a Lannister, but is Lady Lannister only the Lady of the Lannister house at Casterly Rock (which would have been Joanna before her death.) Am I putting a Victorian spin on this and everyone is simply Lady Lastname or is it the use of the last name with Lady reserved for the Lady of the house. So we see Sansa as Lady Sansa of house Stark and not Lady Stark and then once she marries Lady Sansa of house Lannister? What would her title be?

We know that Euron drinks the same poultice (shade-of-the-evening) which the House of Undying use (blue lips). But what is the significance? I guess I'm trying to say, what powers would this give him?

These are both interesting questions.

1. I guess it depends on the heir that the Lady is going to provide. So, Catlyn Tully will provide a Stark heir, so she is Lady Stark. If she was to wed Benjen, she wouldn't be Lady Stark. This being dependent on that Eddard is the Lord. Then, Lannisters is another question. Sansa would be Lady Lannister, yes, only because Tyrion is the heir now, because Jaime is Kingsguard. If, say, Jaime was not KG, but a legitimate heir, then she would be Lady Sansa. And maybe not even married to the second son (I hope you're catching my drift). It depends on if the male's child would be the first heir. That's my opinion, and I think it seems legitimate.

2. I've always thought about shade of the evening as some hallucinogen, but there are real-world theories, that hallucinogens "open your third eye". Now, I'm not a drug addict, but I can't deny it, because I've seen people... Whatever, combine it with a little magic from Martin's world, and I think you can get a picture of what's going on, because warlocks really have some type of magic, I think it's for sure. There was a question I asked a while ago, if Dany drank some shade at anytime, noone seemed to answer me, I will be glad if someone answers.

Cheers, yes, that's the most probable thing. Another one - Do we have any tales or evidence of real dragonslayers? How in general did dragons use to die - out of old age? Was there a person famous for killing a dragon?

Isn't Alleras studying a book about that, and practicing with 'his' bow for just that situation?

Its a vague memory of mine I can't check at the moment, so could easily be false.

Isn't Alleras studying a book about that, and practicing with 'his' bow for just that situation?

Its a vague memory of mine I can't check at the moment, so could easily be false.

I hope Tyrion gets hold of her to remind her that you cant kill a dragon by shooting up at it.

There was a question I asked a while ago, if Dany drank some shade at anytime, noone seemed to answer me, I will be glad if someone answers.

She had a flute of it right before entering the House of the Undying (to open her eyes, sts)

i hope this is a typo - or brain-o

When Qhorin Halfhand arrives early one morning at the Fist Jon gets orders from the LC to get food and fodder arranged. Jon then greets the HH and takes him to Mormont. Mormont offers his hot spiced wine but he requests boiled water. Meanwhile, at Mormonts fire Edd is frying bacon, and he is also boiling eggs in a kettle. We know because HH cracked an egg that these are hardboiled, not poached. So WTH did Edd put in pinches of nutmeg? No evidence of any other kettle. Perhaps Edd hadnt had his coffee yet.

Some of GRRMs apparent typos are on purpose to represent inaccurate POV memories, we are told, like Sansa's kiss from the Hound.

Is that from the prologue? I relistened to it yesterday. I might still be mistaken, but there was no book mentioned. Also, I don't think it's mentioned why is Alleras shooting at apples. They're talking about dragons, yeah, but I think that's all.

More importantly when Sansa marries Tyrion, is she Lady Sansa or Lady Lannister?

According to Stannis, she is Lady Lannister. We have the following exchange in "A Dance with Dragons"

-Jon Snow: "By right Winterfell should go to my sister Sansa."

-Stannis Baratheon: "Lady Lannister, you mean? Are you so eager to see the Imp perched on your father's seat? I promise you, that will not happen whilst I live, Lord Snow."

Later still between those two:

-Jon: "Winterfell belongs to my sister Sansa."

-Stannis: "I have heard all I need to hear of Lady Lannister and her claim."

Perhaps this has been answered before, but it's a nagging question in my head..

In GoT, the prologue, why is Ser Waymar Royce leading the ranging when it is made clear that he is fairly new and that Gared has been around for awhile. If, in the NW, you are promoted through the ranks, not due to brith right but merit, wouldn't Gared be leading the ranging?

In GoT, the prologue, why is Ser Waymar Royce leading the ranging when it is made clear that he is fairly new and that Gared has been around for awhile. If, in the NW, you are promoted through the ranks, not due to brith right but merit, wouldn't Gared be leading the ranging?

I think he was "installed" on this position externally, like Janos Slynt was supposed to be.

Doen't Mormont discuss later on somewhere? Oh yeah, here:

To Tyrion:

"The Royce boy was green as summer grass, yet he insisted on the honor of his own command, saying it was his due as a knight. I did not wish to offend his lord father, so I yielded. I sent him out with two men I deemed as good as any in the Watch. More fool I."

Does obsidian/dragonglass work on Wights? or does it only work on WW?

Only on WWs.

Trying to think now... Is there proof that it doesn't work on wights? :uhoh:

Sam stabs Small Paul with obsidian and nothing happens. But Small Paul had mail and a cloak, so it's not perfectly clear because we don't know how/where exactly the obsidian hit him, IMO.

Only on WWs.

Trying to think now... Is there proof that it doesn't work on wights? :uhoh:

There was a mention by someone in the books who said that WW's need dragonglass, but for wights steel and fire would be enough. This doesn't show us whether obsidian won't work on them, though, but since he said "enough", and not "instead" we could speculate that it could work.

Doen't Mormont discuss later on somewhere? Oh yeah, here:

To Tyrion:

"The Royce boy was green as summer grass, yet he insisted on the honor of his own command, saying it was his due as a knight. I did not wish to offend his lord father, so I yielded. I sent him out with two men I deemed as good as any in the Watch. More fool I."

I think he was "installed" on this position externally, like Janos Slynt was supposed to be.

Thanks folks... At least it doesn't seem so random now.

I tried searching for this, but could only find references and allusions to evidence, not the evidence itself: Where does a legitimized bastard fall in terms of succession? Does he come after all trueborn children, after trueborn sons, or according to his age? For instance, if Jon is legitimized (and ignoring the secret Targ possibility), does he inherit before Bran? Does he fall between Rickon and Sansa? Most importantly, how do we know?

I tried searching for this, but could only find references and allusions to evidence, not the evidence itself: Where does a legitimized bastard fall in terms of succession? Does he come after all trueborn children, after trueborn sons, or according to his age? For instance, if Jon is legitimized (and ignoring the secret Targ possibility), does he inherit before Bran? Does he fall between Rickon and Sansa? Most importantly, how do we know?

I think bastards are legitimized mainly because there would be no other heir. If, however, there are other heirs (don't think we've had examples), I think the bastard comes last in succession. Not sure though.

Archived